The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Woody Lost His Battle With Lymphoma

gina

Cesar Millan's next wife
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So after a couragous 8 month battle against his illness i had to make that terrible decision to put him to sleep last sunday. He was only approx 9 years old. Up til a couple of months ago he was positively thriving, looked great and was frisky as can be, in fact my vet said he was a 'walking miracle'! He was still giving the local squirrels a run for their money and even still enjoying our bike rides...but then all of a sudden the weight started falling off him even though he was eating lots and these odd 'off days' happened more frequently (you could just tell by the first glance in the morning that he was having an off day followed by refused food, just plodded by my side on walks and usually had the runs too) But every time without fail he bounced back and was happy as larry by the next morning.

It got to the point when he was literally a bag of bones yet he still was very bright and alert, thouroughly enjoyed his walks (more limited obviously) and seemed in no pain so i felt i could not end his life whilst he still had that zest he always had. The end came when he stopped eating for 2 whole days, the vets could do nothing and on his final day he could not keep water down so i decided enough was enough i certainly did not want to wait til he collapsed to me that was too late, knowing he was dying i wanted his end to be as humane as i could. I took him for his final walk where there were lots of rabbits to chase so i hope he died a happy doggy :(

phone_mar10_006.jpg

Im so very sorry for your loss...Woody looked a beautiful dog... :wub: Thinking of you...so sorry.

Run free and Go with Love x

a poem for you at this very sad time........

A Bridge Called Love

It takes us back to brighter years,

to happier sunlit days

and to precious moments

that will be with us always.

And these fond recollections

are treasured in the heart

to bring us always close to those

from whom we had to part.

There is a bridge of memories

from earth to Heaven above...

It keeps our dear ones near us

It's the bridge that we call love.

I rescued Woody from the local Manchester Dogs Home 7th July (my birthday) 2002 he was approx 1 yr old. I had been looking for a young outgoing Lurcher to do agility comps with as Lulu's nerves were getting the better of her at the shows. My friend worked there and the week previous had called me so excited to say the ideal Lurcher had just been brought in found as a stray on the streets in salford, so he had to stay in the mandatory 7 days to be claimed. Thankfully no one did so i collected him the minute he was released for adoption and was greeted by a gorgeous silver brindle hug!!! He had some issues when he arrived, mainly dominance and dog aggression so we had to be careful at first as my son was only 1 year old at the time.

Woody had lots of nick names being called Teds more than Woody! Also Woody Bear and The General as he certainly was top dog over my pack throughout his short life. He reminded me of Cesar's daddy as Woody too could tell a dog that was no threat to me or the other dogs, but would instantly know a bad'un and let me know. If no humans reprimanded the naughty dogs behaviour then he made sure he did!!

He was definately the most active Lurcher i have owned, not in the mad bouncy out of control type, but he never ever tired out no matter how far we cycled, knew how to pace himself and always always gave his best performance whether chasing a squirrel, racing or at agility. He would have made an outstanding working dog, keen as anything but in a sensible way, he had the knack of killing squirrels, i'm surprised they are not an endangered species in Manchester now!! He did me so proud at agility, indoor shows were his speciality (outdoor shows he always has his eye out for a rabbit in the hedges!) He 'won me out of starters' beating 198 other dogs on our home turf, and regularly got high placings in Novice classes. He even qualified for th semi final ABC event where the final was at Olympia but sadly my new business and new house happenend then and i had to give up agility for good so i apologise Woody for not letting you shine fully :(

woody_agility2.jpg

oops that was the wrong photo, this is a better one of him in his prime, he truly loved his agility, especially the hotdog or burger i bought him at the ringside whenever we went clear in the really difficult classes that i never thought i'd navigate him round!!

woody_agility.jpg

Rest in Peace my Woody, i'll never forget you. Love you Teds x x x x x

woody_prof_photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad you lost Woody. He was a beauty. R.I.P handsome lad. xxx

:( My heart goes out to you. Take comfort in the fact that you loved and looked after him, and did the very best for him right to the end. :huggles:

rainbow-bridge.jpg

I collected his ashes today, always said i wouldn't do that again but for some reason it just felt the right thing to do, so my son and i are off to Delamere Forest this week, we recently found a lovely pretty place by a little stream up The Old Pale where we are going to scatter his ashes, it was his favourite place for a bike ride and hopefully in the future if there is such a thing i would like to think maybe his spirit can find us there and come run along side my bike looking as handsome as he always did x x x x x x x x

Good god that's brought tears to my eyes.

Oh Gina, i'm so so sorry, i wish the outcome could have been different for you and your very special boy.

Having seen you two together it was clear you had a very special bond and he'd do anything to please you, and as you say he gave 100% in everything he did.

Love the last picture of him with his head on the grass, he was such a handsome boy.

Rest in Peace Woody xxx

Thinking of you Gina, Harry & of course Woody's buddies LuLu & Gucci xxx

I'm so sorry :(

He was such a handsome boy - and what a fabulous life he's had with you.

Sleep tight Woody :huggles:

I am so very, very sad to hear this :( My thoughts are with you and I hope that, in time, you will be able to smile again as you bike ride through Delamere Forest and feel him running beside you again.

Run free, Woody. Bless you xx :wub:

Very sorry to hear about Woody. It sounds like you had a wonderful time together. It is so hard to say goodbye :(

My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

RIP beautiful boy.

I'm so sorry you lost Woody :(

Your love for him shines through in your beautiful tribute to him .

If only all dogs could be so loved .

I lost my beautiful girl to lymphoma last September and I know the pain you are feeling . :huggles:

What wonderful photographs and a beautiful tribute to Woody, who was clearly very special to you and much loved. Thinking of you.

Run free Woody :wub:

Thinking of you, very sorry you lost your boy

What a beautiful tribute to a lovely dog. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

We have scattered the ashes of the boys we have lost in recent years on a favourite bank where the other dogs still run and I like to think that they all play together, I may be mad but I find it very comforting, as I'm sure you will knowing that Woody is in a favourite place.

Run free Woody

I'm very sorry for your loss. RIP Woody - he sounds (and looks) like a very special boy. I can't find the words to do justice really but as others have said, your love for him shines through. Run free handsome lad.

Gill

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss :( Woody looked a handsome boy :wub:

RIP Woody and run free gorgeous boyxxx

A lovely tribute to your wonderful boy. Sorry you lost him early to lymphoma. I'm sure he'll always have a special place in your heart.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back