The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Worming

EMILY

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
When I first had Zair at 7 weeks old he had been wormed every two weeks by Jonathan & Anabel and I have continued with this up until last Monday when he was 12 weeks old. Now that he is 13 weeks (yesterday) can he now be wormed every month until he is 6 months old and then on every 2/3 months? I am using Panacur Favourites as they are so very easy to adminster and this is also what the vet gave to me when I took Zair for his first vaccinations at 8 weeks - he has one tabley spread over three days. Do you all change your brand of wormer regularly i.e. use Drontal instead of Panacur or do you stick to the same wormer as I understand that constantly using the same wormer can be less effective?? Please could you give me your experience of worming puppies and what routine you follow. Many thanks for your help!

HI EMILY, WE ALWAYS USE DRONTAL, WE WORM OUR ADULTS EVERY THREE MONTHS, WHEN WE HAVE A LITTER OF PUPS WE ALWAYS USE THE SHIRLEYS PUPPY WORMER EVERY TWO WEEKS, TILL THERE OLD ENOUGH FOR DRONTAL. WHEN WE GOT THE GREYHOUND OUR VET ADVISED US TO USE PANACUR AS THIS GETS RID OF LUNG WORM WHICH CAN SOMETIMES BE FOUND IN GREYHOUNDS. HOPE THIS HELPS. :thumbsup:

yep- worm him once a month till he's 6 months old- i used stronghold as my pup wasnt out eating sheep poo etc- things that cause tape worm in pups. stronghold doesnt kill tape, but it also kills fleas. or carry on with the panacur. i personally like to stick to what i know- once i finish with the stronghold- i start on using advantage- fleas, and drontal, worms. this works out cheapest for me. Now flo's over 6 months i'll worm once every 3 months, and flea as needed.

basically assess your pups lifestyle and find what suits you best :thumbsup:

hope i helped!

mags

Paula Roberts said:
HI EMILY, WE ALWAYS USE DRONTAL, WE WORM OUR ADULTS EVERY THREE MONTHS, WHEN WE HAVE A LITTER OF PUPS WE ALWAYS USE THE SHIRLEYS PUPPY WORMER EVERY TWO WEEKS, TILL THERE OLD ENOUGH FOR DRONTAL. WHEN WE GOT THE GREYHOUND OUR VET ADVISED US TO USE PANACUR AS THIS GETS RID OF LUNG WORM WHICH CAN SOMETIMES BE FOUND IN GREYHOUNDS. HOPE THIS HELPS.  :thumbsup:
we used shirleys worming syrup on our litter :thumbsup: and now use panacur.

Panacur 1 litre bottles sre available on the net and the 10% stuff can be used for dogs and horses, including puppies, so if any of you have horses and dogs it may be worth you having a look? the litre bottle can do 26 horses, but dogs have to be weighed exactly to get the correct dose. Hope this will help some of you

Personally I would not use any wormer (for puppies or adult dogs) that you can buy in a pet shop because they are not effective enough. You can use either Panacur or Drontal liquid on puppies from 2 weeks of age, available either through your Vet or the on-line canine pharmacists.

This site sells wormers direct too. I use Drontal on my dogs and have also used Panacure liquid.

www.hyperdrug.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The site posted is very helpful for pet scripts too, i use them a lot for the horses

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back