The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wyoming Coursing

tlewis

Tony
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm usually too interested in watching the dogs run, but this year I managed to remember to take a few pics.

333.jpg

334.jpg

Hot dog, Skook. Caught two in four days. May not sound much to UK hare coursers, but Jacks are considerably bigger and faster than the English Hare.

Don't take my word for it. Come on out with us!!

Skook.jpg

Hi - can i bring my whippets and my borzois along too....??!

I wish.................. :)

Third dog I took with me, Rae. Fast bitch and can run all day.

Rae.jpg

Jacks don't usually sit this tight and I usually forget to take their picture!

Sit_tight.jpg

animalady said:
Hi - can i bring my whippets and my borzois along too....??!

I wish.................. :)

All welcome. Saw some nice Russian imports run lately. Moderate size and looked like Greyhounds with Borzoi coats to me.

We can even find you somewhere to stay!

Hotel.jpg

Thank you!

What fun it would be and soooooooooo tempting!!!!!!!!!!

couple of very good looking dogs their.

With big open territory like that what crosses do you people generally run? saluki greyhounds would be demon out there I would have thought.

ground looks pretty hard how do teh dogs feet fair!

cant work out how to edit my last post. sorry for language used am writing a legal doc and failed to switch out of work mode completeley. :wacko:

tlewis said:
Hot dog, Skook.  Caught two in four days.  May not sound much to UK hare coursers, but Jacks are considerably bigger and faster than the English Hare.Don't take my word for it.  Come on out with us!!

of course, everything is bigger faster and better in the USA (w00t) how many walls, streams, fences are jumped on a typical course there?

Library-7875.jpg

Library-7880.jpg

Library-7885.jpg

What a big land !!!!

At least you can still course the real thing there. :wacko:

Pauline

jack rabbits and hares apparently have the same top speed from the quick checks I have made thats 45mph. So would love to see how some good fen dogs would do over that side of the pond.

Lurch and his tribe said:
jack rabbits and hares apparently have the same top speed from the quick checks I have made thats 45mph. So would love to see how some good fen dogs would do over that side of the pond.

I was always under the impresion the brown hare native to the british isles to be the strongest of all hares.. could be wrong but thats what ive read somewhere.. :thumbsup:

Lurch and his tribe said:

Can't say that I have looked up any references. I based my observation on the hares I have coursed. I spent the first forty years of my life in England on and around farms where I ran lurchers and Whippets and Greyhounds in various places including Lincolnshire. The last ten years we lived in Shropshire and the Welsh Border. I moved to the USA and run Jacks for the past thirty years.

For what it's worth, I'd put Hares in the following speed order based on my experience.

Fastest and hardest to catch. Wyoming Jackrabbits. Very close Blacktailed Jackrabbits from the Las Cruces area of New Mexico. Then jacks in general.

Easiest in California. None of the are "Easy." Don't get me wrong. I do not think English hares were "Easy." Just different.

There are a lot of lurcher men in the USA with the best hare dogs I'd say in New Mexico. Of course there are also a good many Coyote hunters who use various crosses. They don't need the top speed of a hare courser but they do need guts and strength.

Like I said earlier you need to come and see for yourself. It's so easy to-day to get from the UK to the USA and back with a dog. Round trip from the UK to say Denver is around $700 in the winter. Hire a car etc . Petrol is half what it is in the UK but you have to travel a lot further. We will be out again in October as soon as Antelope hunting season is over. Plan and joining us.

probably no more expensive that a week or two in Florida! (w00t)

All you need is MONEY!! :D

Picture of a young 5 month old dog owned by Mike from Sheriden, Wyoming.

Wish I had taken pictures of his older dogs. I do have some of his pet Coyote bitch!

Pup.jpg

Bantrys grown (w00t) ........ You are lucky to have that much open space and freedom Tony ......I wish I could afford to come out and join you ......but hey ....I'll let you send me Rae instead ;) :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back