The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Young Farmer Killed By Rabbit Flu

LasVegasNo1

Waiting for Telstra
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This is a bit worrying - the deadly side to rabbiting?? :unsure:

Young farmer killed by rabbit flu

A young farmer has died in what is believed to be Britain's first case of rabbit flu.

John Freeman, 29, became infected with the bacteria pasteurella multocida after picking up a rabbit on his farm.

His mother Joan said he fell ill the next day with a fever and died three days later.

A post-mortem revealed that Mr Freeman had died from septicaemia after becoming infected with the bacteria that causes pasteurellosis, which is known as rabbit flu.

A spokesman for the Heath Protection Agency said the bacteria was known to be common among many domestic animals, including cats and dogs, but he was not aware of any other fatal rabbit-to-human transmission.

He said there were only a handful of cases of humans being infected with pasteurella multocida each year, usually from dogs and cats, and deaths were very rare.

She wants to make people aware that handling dead rabbits can be potentially fatal.

She said: "People should just be aware that there is this dreadful thing around and potentially its lethal. Once it is in the blood stream, that's it."

Mr Freeman, the couple's only son, died on August 5 - four days after falling ill.

Ive just read this in the morning papers, Ive had pet rabbits die in the past from snuffles (w00t) very worrying.

and what about all those dead ones the dogs find :eek: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Janimal said:
and what about all those dead ones the dogs find  :eek:   :unsure:
That was my thoughts, not so much now, but we used to walk in a dis-used quarry and would often find a dead rabbit, would always let Alfie have a prod of them :blink:

Its hard to get them off a dead rabbit full stop. (w00t)

I had to chase Oscar round the other day shouting leave leave and did eventually get him to drop it - only for Kobi to pick it back up.

LasVegasNo1 said:

A young farmer has died in what is believed to be Britain's first case of rabbit flu.

John Freeman, 29, became infected with the bacteria pasteurella multocida after picking up a rabbit on his farm.

His mother Joan said he fell ill the next day with a fever and died three days later.

A post-mortem revealed that Mr Freeman had died from septicaemia after becoming infected with the bacteria that causes pasteurellosis, which is known as rabbit flu.

A spokesman for the Heath Protection Agency said the bacteria was known to be common among many domestic animals, including cats and dogs, but he was not aware of any other fatal rabbit-to-human transmission.

He said there were only a handful of cases of humans being infected with pasteurella multocida each year, usually from dogs and cats, and deaths were very rare.

She wants to make people aware that handling dead rabbits can be potentially fatal.

She said: "People should just be aware that there is this dreadful thing around and potentially its lethal. Once it is in the blood stream, that's it."

Mr Freeman, the couple's only son, died on August 5 - four days after falling ill.

Well wot next, first its mad cow, then bird flu and now bunny flu, wot a miserable existance, ive a dam good mind to top myself, now believe this or believe it not, i actually had a go at it once when my good lady wife passed on, wot i did was find the beams in my living room ceiling, hooked up noose around neck made the jump, guess wot, half the ceiling come down on top of me, so i think i will stick around a little bit longer. :thumbsup:

keith :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
LasVegasNo1 said:

Well wot next, first its mad cow, then bird flu and now bunny flu, wot a miserable existance, ive a dam good mind to top myself, now believe this or believe it not, i actually had a go at it once when my good lady wife passed on, wot i did was find the beams in my living room ceiling, hooked up noose around neck made the jump, guess wot, half the ceiling come down on top of me, so i think i will stick around a little bit longer. :thumbsup:

keith :thumbsup:

Thank goodness for shoddy workmanship :eek: :sweating:

COLOR=purple][SIZE=21pt]THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RABBIT FLU.[/SIZE][/color] :rant:

Flu is a virus - pasturella is a so bacteria it is factually incorrect . This is the media trying to cause hysteria and comparing it to bird flu.

Dont panic please!

A lot of rabbits carry the pasturella bacteria, but so do cats, dogs etc. Like all pets they can carry a risk to immuo compromised people. Infact other HUMANS are a risk to immno compromised people. Normal healthy people have got nothing to worry about, but good hygiene, ie washing hands after handling etc should be followed. You've got more of a chance of catching it from a cat bite.

Off my soap box now. :D

Rae said:
COLOR=purple][SIZE=21pt]THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RABBIT FLU.[/SIZE][/color]  :rant:
Flu is a virus - pasturella  is a so bacteria it is factually incorrect .  This is the media trying to cause hysteria and comparing it to bird flu.

Dont panic please!

A lot of rabbits carry the pasturella bacteria, but so do cats, dogs etc.  Like all pets they can carry a risk to immuo compromised people. Infact other HUMANS are a risk to immno compromised people.  Normal healthy people have got nothing to worry about, but good hygiene, ie washing hands after handling etc should be followed.  You've got more of a chance of catching it from a cat bite.

Off my soap box now.  :D

Thanks for that Rae, I was quite puzzled by it acutally, because Id never heard of rabbit flu either :unsure:

From the BBC website

What is Pasteurella multocida?

P. multocida is a bacteria found in most mammals, including cats, dogs and rabbits, and some birds and fish.

It is usually harmless, but sometimes it can lead to a disease caused pasteurellosis, which is especially prominent in rabbits (where it known as rabbit flu).

How are humans infected?

P. multocida is present in the saliva and faecal material of animals.

The most common form of infection in humans is through a bite or scratch, usually from a cat or dog, from an animal carrying the bacteria.

Once the bacteria have been passed to a person, there is a possibility that they may go on to develop pasteurellosis.

John Freeman was thought to have contracted the infection from the rabbit through a blister on his thumb.

Is it common?

John Freeman is the first reported case of fatal pasteurellosis from a rabbit in Britain.

The Health Protection Agency said there are several hundred cases of infection with Pasteurella multocida every year.

Deaths are very rare, according to the Office of National Statistics the last recorded death from pasteurellosis was in 2001.

What are the symptoms?

The first signs of pasteurellosis can occur a few hours after infection, and include pain, redness and swelling around the area of the infection.

If the infection spreads and gets into the bloodstream, it can cause flu-like symptoms such as fever, headaches, chills and swollen glands, and if left untreated can result in pneumonia or septicaemia, and on rare occasions, death.

Can it be treated?

The Health Protection Agency say pasteurellosis is a highly preventable and treatable disease.

Standard antibiotics can prevent further infection, the risk is only if the infection is untreated.

What should I do if I have been scratched or bitten by an animal?

You are advised to carefully wash the wound, using a disinfectant soap, and to seek medical advice.

Immuno-suppressed people are at greater risk of serious complications, as with any infection, so should seek medical advice immediately.

Should I be worried if I keep animals?

Vets urge pet owners not to worry, the bacteria is extremely common and usually harmless, but they say bites or scratches should be treated with caution.

hey this is great! Where can i get some bunnies like this i know a nice person next door who id love to give a pet bunny to........................... o:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back