The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

2006 Oz & Nz Show Results

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
gajo said:
Thanks Jill :thumbsup:
An improvement that the Bris Royal could make would be judging group and puppy from 1st to 4th like they do in lots of places. The way things are at present means that the runner up of breed and the runner up puppy of breed need to go back to the show on Saturday to go into the ring only in the case of the whippet winning best in Group or puppy in group- the odds of them the winning res in group(gr2nd) or res puppy in group are pretty slim. This means that Lana- with her RUBOB bitch has to stay in brisbane for an extra 6 or so days, go to the show, be locked in nearly all day and in every likelyhood not even go into the ring with her girl.

Peoples lives are far too busy these days for that sort of rot :rant:

I totally agree with you. Ten days is just far to long. I did a quick check last night over the numbers of dogs entered during the last ten years. It has been on a steady decline. I won't bore you with the all the facts, but the number of dogs exhibited in 1966 was 4365 and this year ten years later down to 2775 this includes obedience???????????????????????.

Jill

The entry rules state that if you do not want to be bound by these rules then dont enter. :( It is that simple. :eek:

On the other hand, I would never enter if whippets were so far away from Specials day. It is now a joke to expect anyone to be in a position to stay many hundreds of miles away from home for an award like ru, bob.

What about Op in Group, does the non BOB winning CC have to be there even if not Ru.BOB???

The system is too hard. Too many people for small rewards.

The idea of group 1234 is by far the best way. It is just win or loose. :cheers:

The main reason for there not being a change could be all those lovley throphies. What do you do with them????? (melt them down & make a $)

So the format could reduce entries. I have never seen the area that dogs are judged in. But with cost of entries you want them to be darn good. :- "

The judge:...........well thats one area someone will always refer to. We have not entered our own Royal a few times because of the judge. Why pay a high price entry for someone has no interest in what is going on? We had one American here once that when the dogs came into the ring, he had them stand up. He wrote down the ones he liked, THEN did the table & walk. He got out his peice of paper & called out the numbers of the ones he liked, placed them only & that was that.

Main reason why entries are down is cost of petrol. :( But if the judge was the right one it could be 3 times that amount & one would still go. :thumbsup:

Cartman said:
The entry rules state that if you do not want to be bound by these rules then dont enter. :(   It is that simple. :eek:
On the other hand, I would never enter if whippets were so far away from Specials day. It is now  a joke to expect anyone to be in a position to stay many hundreds of miles away from home for an award like ru, bob.

What about Op in Group, does the non BOB winning CC have to be there even if not Ru.BOB???

The idea of group 1234 is by far the best way. It is just win or loose. :cheers:

The main reason for there not being a change could be all those lovley throphies. What do you do with them????? (melt them down & make a $)

So the format could reduce entries. I have never seen the area that dogs are judged in. But with cost of entries you want them to be darn good. :- "

The judge:...........well thats one area someone will always refer to. We have not entered our own Royal a few times because of the judge. Why pay a high price entry for someone has no interest in what is going on? We had one American here once that when the dogs came into the ring, he had them stand up. He wrote down the ones he liked, THEN did the table & walk. He got out his peice of paper & called out the numbers of the ones he liked, placed them only & that was that.

Main reason why entries are down is cost of petrol.  :(   But if the judge was the right one it could be 3 times that amount & one would still go. :thumbsup:

OH !! (w00t) Do you not have a body (eg Kennel club) that you could put a complaint into ?That is SO bad :rant: Youve all paid the same amount of entry fee and deserve to be given the same attention in the ring , weve had a judge, in the past who if they didnt like your dog asked you to move and then turned their back on you and didnt have the courtesy to watch :rant: Bad manners I say :rant:

I thought the Brisbane Royal was a big show :oops:

:eek:

As regards Lana having to go back :eek: What a bummer , now tell me what would happen f she didnt :wacko: would they take her award of f her? does she get any expensies towards going back ?

Over here if you win the group or a stakes class and they have a final then we get a few pounds towards paying for the return journey ,When Mikkee won the junior stakes at Birmingham a couple of years ago we were given £10.00 when we returned for the overall junior winner 2 dysa later . Luckily Nottingham to Birmingham is only just over an hours drive :huggles: Thank goodness we didnt win the one in Edinburgh ;)

Cartman said:
The entry rules state that if you do not want to be bound by these rules then dont enter. :(   It is that simple. :eek:
On the other hand, I would never enter if whippets were so far away from Specials day. It is now  a joke to expect anyone to be in a position to stay many hundreds of miles away from home for an award like ru, bob.

Main reason why entries are down is cost of petrol.  :(   But if the judge was the right one it could be 3 times that amount & one would still go. :thumbsup:

Hi Cartman,

What is said on this list is neither grizzling nor whinging. :D It is a matter of fact. The facilities at Brisbane Royal are sadly lacking. I wrote the below on another Aust list before the Royal had started. Yes, the exhibitors have been told by the powers that be....if you don't like it don't come back..........so they didn't come back........I think that, in it's self should have sounded the BELL.........but no one listened, and now the entries are down. I believe that changes need to made, and need to made in favour of the exhibitors and the dogs.

Jill

Hi,

Entries are down again this year. There are over a hundred labs entered. The Lab National is on. Even with the added numbers from the Lab National it has not realy helped matters.

No, I don't think the judges have much to do with it. Some years it does have a big bearing on the entries. I personally believe that the facilities at the show are sadly lacking. Although there is a cement floor for the dogs to empty on a vast majority of the dogs won't *go* on it. The walk ways are to narrow and with the crowds that are in the building make it more than difficult to get to the assembly area's. Having to leave some of your dogs unatended near the assembly area that are entered, maybe in the bitch classes, or the open class. The public have free access to this area. Not being able to take even small crates into the assembly area. (Understandably as the two assembly area's are small)

If you breed is on last, there are no change rooms. We use the toilets, they are located UP STAIRS. The public also use these and it is uaually full of public and no room for the dog showing fraturnaty who often need to get in and out quickly.

This is just a few of the things that go to make people say never again.

Flame suit on JMHO

Jill

JAX said:
Cartman said:

Main reason why entries are down is cost of petrol.   :(   But if the judge was the right one it could be 3 times that amount & one would still go. :thumbsup:

OH !! (w00t) Do you not have a body (eg Kennel club) that you could put a complaint into ?That is SO bad :rant: Youve all paid the same amount of entry fee and deserve to be given the same attention in the ring , weve had a judge, in the past who if they didnt like your dog asked you to move and then turned their back on you and didnt have the courtesy to watch :rant: Bad manners I say :rant:

I thought the Brisbane Royal was a big show :oops:

:eek:

As regards Lana having to go back :eek: What a bummer , now tell me what would happen f she didnt :wacko: would they take her award of f her? does she get any expensies towards going back ?

Over here if you win the group or a stakes class and they have a final then we get a few pounds towards paying for the return journey ,When Mikkee won the junior stakes at Birmingham a couple of years ago we were given £10.00 when we returned for the overall junior winner 2 dysa later . Luckily Nottingham to Birmingham is only just over an hours drive :huggles: Thank goodness we didnt win the one in Edinburgh ;)

Hi Jax,

As cartman lives in another state, and that state has its own rules and regulations. I carn't comment on the Royal in that state. I am sure he will fill you in.

No, in Queensland we have no redress what so ever. The Royal National AGri. and Industrial Ass. of Queensland is the full name of the organisation that runs the show over ten days. This is the body that the canine control of Queensland runs under.

Taken off the front cover of the rules and regulations of the Canine Control Council (Queensland) in bold letters .....under the auspices of The Royal Agricultural & Industrial Association of Queensland.

Lana will have NO costs awarded to her what so ever. I am sure Lana will speak for herself.

But lets have a look at it from the way I see it. Lana would have the initial entry fee then the petrol costs I think it would be over 1000 kilometers to Brisbane.

If she could not find some body to stay with she would have accomodation costs. Some where for the dogs to stay if she could not keep them with her. Food costs for herself and dogs. Petrol for running around Brisbane the parking fee for the day at the Royal. Now on top of all this another parking fee for Show Specials on this Saturday. Now to add insult to injury she has to drive all the way home.

We have some very dedicated Whippet breeders and showers in this state.

I salute them one and all.

Jill

Great Comments from all.

We too have problems in Tassie where the Launceston Royal was held some years ago, a lovely set up with buildings bought and put up by the dog world, first class indoor and outdoor rings then the show grounds were sold off to build a uni. We were told that we would have the same built at the new show grounds but they then told us that there was no room to house the dogs. We now show on the edge of a football oval tucked away with sheep dog trials, horse jumping and kids activities around the rings and roaming public walk through the assembly area. The people with the horses and trial dogs get upset with us walking our dogs, but what can you do. It seems that these Royal shows forget that show dogs help get people through the gates and we would like them to give a little bit back or at least listen to our concerns, but no they know best.

It's a shame that the bigger shows can't get it right, with the numbers dropping in Bris well you get the feeling that they don't want us. Lets hope Jill that they get a stir up and start to listen to the show dog people. I would like to see one year a dog club put on a big show at the same time and then we could boycott the royals and then watch them jump up and down. :- " :- "

parnew said:
Great Comments from all.We too have problems in Tassie where the Launceston Royal was held some years ago, a lovely set up with buildings bought and put up by the dog world, first class indoor and outdoor rings then the show grounds were sold off to build a uni. We were told that we would have the same built at the new show grounds but they then told us that there was no room to house the dogs. We now show on the edge of a football oval tucked away with sheep dog trials, horse jumping and kids activities around the rings and roaming public walk through the assembly area. The people with the horses and trial dogs get upset with us walking our dogs, but what can you do. It seems that these Royal shows forget that show dogs help get people through the gates and we would like them to give a little bit back or at least listen to our concerns, but no they know best.

It's a shame that the bigger shows can't get it right, with the numbers dropping in Bris well you get the feeling that they don't want us. Lets hope Jill that they get a stir up and start to listen to the show dog people. I would like to see one year a dog club put on a big show at the same time and then we could boycott the royals and then watch them jump up and down.  :- "  :- "

For goodnes sake don't get me started on the old Elphin Show Grounds. I was one the members who worked so hard to have the indoor ring build. LOL

Yes I do understand how you feel about what you were promised and what you ended up with. Their where promises given when the building went up and they to were broken.

Jill.

(who has been in the Dog World a long time and still remembers).

Hey Griff, I understand what you are saying. At the end of the day, Royal or small Ag. Show, dogs are very low on the list. To boycott them with entries is no good. There is always someone who will show. Better to get as many people there & show up the show managers.

When I was running our local Ag. dog section, we did it on the cheap. Got a nice line up of judges. We did not enter as I dont belive you should at your own show. Too much to do on the day anyway. Judges were housed in rental property, so costs are down. Throphies were bought in bulk & at discount in return for advertising etc. etc. But the horsie people did not want dogs & did all they could to stop us. At one committee meeting they moved a motion to remove the dog section. Prior to a vote I just asked what was the profit on dog section & horse section. Dogs $950.00 prifit, Horse $700.00 loss. I then said that maybe the dogs should have the nice lawned area & they use the crappy back blocks of the show grounds.

So everyone has a problem or 2 with their State shows. I am not 100% happy with our Royal. But it is an inprovement on what we had.

Hi everyone - just on the computer very briefly at my brother's house. I am just stoked with Aime's win and Dino's first place (he was heavily considered for challenge and reserve as well).

Having to stay until Saturday is indeed a financial burden and serious time issue to me (because I never thought I would have to stay and therefore didn't plan on it). In 33 years of showing this is the first time I have won a Brisbane Royal challenge (not that I go to it all that often) and it is such a thrill that I reckon I have to stay until Saturday to at least have Aime there if she gets the chance to go back in. If a male dog of any breed wins BIG, Aime gets the chance to go back in for Opposite Sex of Group- so I am praying for that! :)

Chat again when I get back home!

I agree Cartman with what you say and the more noise we make the better the outcome may be. Jill the old show grounds get bought up at most shows we go too and still gives people the :rant:

At the moment we have a Council grant to improve one of our show sites in the north and things are well on the way for a better show surface. :D

Well Lana we are all very pleased with your result and wish you the very best if you make it back into the ring. A nice reward for your hard work and loads of time that you have put in the breed. :thumbsup:

Good Luck :cheers:

Just wait until the Melbourne Royal, next year ... the biggest dog show in the southern hemisphere is gonna be held in a cattle pavillion!! :eek: Can't wait!! (w00t)

elmaro said:
Just wait until the Melbourne Royal, next year ... the biggest dog show in the southern hemisphere is gonna be held in a cattle pavillion!!  :eek: Can't wait!! (w00t)
With the cattle!!!!!!!!!!! (w00t) NO!!!!!!!! At least with the sheep. Just for our New Zullunder vasitors. :b

Struth, I hope they clean it first. I think it is this year that they are using it. The new one is being used next year.

Any results from Bris Royal???? Anyone go just to look?? :cheers:

oakway said:
Struth, I hope they clean it first.  I think it is this year that they are using it. The new one is being used next year.
They were meant to use it this year but got permission to keep using the old stomping ground because they are behind schedule and no one was really keen on testing out the new area with a royal entry!! (What I've been told anyway!!)

Before they moved us back, it had been organised by some bright spark, that we only needed 3 rings .... so if this remains for next year, best we all bring a pillow, doona etc. cause it will take forever!! -_-

Cheers

Elly (using someone elses computer!!)

Willum said:
oakway said:
Struth, I hope they clean it first.  I think it is this year that they are using it. The new one is being used next year.
They were meant to use it this year but got permission to keep using the old stomping ground because they are behind schedule and no one was really keen on testing out the new area with a royal entry!! (What I've been told anyway!!)

Before they moved us back, it had been organised by some bright spark, that we only needed 3 rings .... so if this remains for next year, best we all bring a pillow, doona etc. cause it will take forever!! -_-

Cheers

Elly (using someone elses computer!!)

That's exactly what I was told to. I wish you the best of British. Take an alarm clock :- "

Jill

Cartman said:
elmaro said:
Just wait until the Melbourne Royal, next year ... the biggest dog show in the southern hemisphere is gonna be held in a cattle pavillion!!   :eek: Can't wait!! (w00t)
With the cattle!!!!!!!!!!! (w00t) NO!!!!!!!! At least with the sheep. Just for our New Zullunder vasitors. :b

Cartman - I am seriously worried (w00t) - we are now related by marriage - so lay of the sheep jokes brutha :rant: :rant: there is nothing wrong with fush & chups at the dog show in the back cattle pavillion :sweating:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back