The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Cat Question !

hely

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
someone i know got 2 kittens that were found in the street, they were about 7/8 weeks old at the time and that was in november.........i was wondering if you dont let your cats out of the house, do they still need their vacinations ?

sorry, sounds like a silly question, but i dont know much about cats ;)

if i was her i would still get them jabbed as cat influenca can kil young cats, and can be transmitted easily

hope this helps

someone i know got 2 kittens that were found in the street, they were about 7/8 weeks old at the time and that was in november.........i was wondering if you dont let your cats out of the house, do they still need their vacinations ?
sorry, sounds like a silly question, but i dont know much about cats ;)

Ideally Yes...as they can still pick up infections that may have been brought home by you or any other animals in the house.

Good luck with them

thanks guys.........these people keep saying they going to get them done, but it never seems to happen........was just worried about the cats, but didnt want to say to much to them as i wasnt sure :unsure:

cheers

i would also have them protected for leukimia (sp) it does involve a blood test to make sure they havent already got it if they have unfortunatley they will have to be house cats so as not to pass it on to others that maybe havent been injected

most will probably say dont bother but having had a cat with it its horrible and so easily prevented :(

I always have my cats vaccinated when they are young. Not so much as they get older as, like us, they become immune to things as time goes by.

We are lucky in this country, as there is a degree of "herd immunity" which exists because alot of our cats and dogs are immunised and therefore the chance of an epidemic is lessened.

I also live in a very rural area so my animals don't meet any others when they're out and about. If I was in town I would certainly immunise because of the likelihood of contact with other animals.

Another point is that, even though the cats are indoor cats, it is possible (although rare) to carry infection into the house on clothes, shoes etc.

thanks for the replys

the only reason they are house cats are because they cant be arsed to get them vacinated.........they didnt think of the cost when they decided to get them.........but the female keeps getting out (open windows) they also decided not get them neuted :angry:

it just makes me cross and everytime i bring up the subject i just get told they are being done next week....it just never happens :angry:

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Bloomin' 'ell!!!!!

It's far more important to get them speyed/neutered.

They'll be having kittens of their own in a minute!!!!!

At least get the poor little girl speyed before it's too late :(

Have you any influence over them Hely?

Oh why do people "rescue" kittens off the street & then run the risk of more kittens, and interbred ones at that (assuming they are brother & sister)

At a push, if they were def going to be indoor cats, I'd say don't bother vaccinating, but as they are obviously not indoor cos they can get outdoors :wacko: then I'd get them done, at least for the first year while they are so young.

if they cant afford it they can get vouchers from the cats protection league that goes towards the cost of neutering i do hope they get them done soon

I have four house cats and they are all vaccinated against flu amd enteritis, luekemia I don't vaccinate them against as only can be transmitted through bodily fluids obviously cat fights and mating! Flu and enteritis can be airbourne and if they have cats coming in and out of their garden they could bring it in on their shoes etc. It's unreal that they have not even bothered to neuter them either :rant: In my opinion they should give them to someone who will look after them properly and that includes vaccinating and neutering them :rant:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back