The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Fed Up Whippet!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sorry we couldn't reply last night. I think the days activities and puppies demands had knackered both me and Terry (Skippy)!

We bottlefed the pups at 6,8,10,12 and 2..well Terry did, I had a well earned sleep. They didn't drink much but it was just to pacify them. They were crying at 5.30 and all had something.

We have found the strongest sucklers and put them to mum to get her going. Late last night we could hear suckling noises and there were the 2 boys suckling away. Diamond went very funny when bottle feeding Star last night, she took her in her mouth, took her to her bed and Diamond shoved her underneath her as if to feed.

Now at 9.00 they all seem settled and well into mum. I don't really want to take them away to see if they are getting something so will just leave her be for a little longer as this is the quietest i've heard them!

I hope we've turned the corner milk wise! Otherwise she is being a very good mum.

Just had a look and a bit of a squeeze and she has some milk!!

She's letting them onto her but she wont stretch out like last time but she might just be uncomfortable with her stitches to stretch out.

Would like to say thanks to everyone offering advice and support, we've not quite got there yet so i've got some numbers expect a call!!

So glad it's all looking positive. I know I couldn't breed, never mind the birth, for the eight or so weeks afterwards, I would be an absolute wreck! Fingers crossed it's all settling down for mum and babies. :wub: :luck:

:thumbsup: excellent news, id just leave mum to it now ;)

Hi, Glad it is going much better. I always weigh my pups daily for the first 7 days, that way you can be sure they are getting enough milk. Wishing you luck with it all. Very stressful time!

I've decided to leave it to mum. I'll take it from their weights to see if they are getting enough milk. Instead of lying straight she gets up and turns to lie on her other side, this seems to be letting each pup take turns and if a pup is a little noisy I just put it on the nipple for her.

The other thing that was not allowing her to stretch out was the heatpad. She hates it and wouldn't go near it only leaving her with a corner of the bed so that's been removed! She keeps lying down all tucked up in a ball but the pups know where they want to be and push their way in. :teehee:

Tonights triumph...stretched out (for a little while)

101_1425.jpg

Bless her, I hope everything goes smoothly now (and that you can catch up on some sleep!) :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thats good news ,

Mum does look a sweetie , bless her

Mum and pups are gorgeous :wub:

Hope everything continues to go well :luck:

Been to the vets today for a check up and dew claws off. Vet was very pleased with mum and pups and wasn't duly worried about the fact that pups haven't regained their birth weight yet (even though i am!)

Topping up with bottle feeds until they get enough from mum, a couple of nipples are free flowing now but a couple have nothing so I think I might have to give her a hand.

Phew i've still not slept in my own bed, it's been 10 days! I need some sleep, my eyes are so sore (w00t)

You have a lovely litter there :wub: Such attractive colours!! Dizzee and Heather are my favourites :D

Keep up the good work!! Little Diamond does look very wary of them so she must be feeling tense, bless her x

Hopefully, when she relaxes from the op, she will let the milk flow freely ........ until then I fear you might have to have a few more sleepless nights :oops: :luck:

congratulations. This is the first time i seen this. REally really pleased all went well for you and mom and pups are doing fine.

keep at it and dont give up :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Glas to hear she is suckling the pups herself now :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When Tegan had her last litter I had to bottle feed them last thing at night as she didn't seem to have much milk.

If you lived nearer I could have helped you, but I am in Cornwall, just a little too far!!!!!! Good luck with them and hope all goes well.

Well all seems normal now. No more topping up feeds and pups are over their birth weight, with the exception of one that is just getting plonked onto mum every 2 hours.

Phew, now to get back to some kind of normality! I promise now mum is more relaxed I will get some more pics on :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back