The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Fed Up Whippet!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sorry to hear Diamond has had to have a c section
My Mollee had a section and they put the pups on her as soon as she was half way coming around ,I took them all home that day and Mollee had no problems feeding 7 . I do know some bitches can reject , but I find it strange they didnt tell you to put babies and mum together so they can encourage her milk asap

Fingers crossed all goes well from now
They sent her home as soon as they could and pups have been with her but the vet said to start feeding them Whelpi. Do you think I should let them try to take to her?

Edited to say, before I intervene?
I would , you can always keep an eye and check they are feeding first

Well I thought I would have to put them on her but the vet just told me to use Whelpi the first 2 days.
They are fast asleep at the moment and mum is nodding off...bless.
im concerned that the vet has told you to keep the puppies away, i cant stress enough for her to bond she needs them with her ASAP,

Grace was still knocked out when she came home from the vets but the babies went straight in with her as soon as we got home (less that 2 and a half hours after the C-sec)

she will cope im sure, tomorrow you wont even notice she had a C-sec as she will just be caring for her babies.

i have never heard of keeping babies away from a healthy mother :unsure: :unsure: i cant understand why your vet is saying to do that??

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Diamond has had to have a c section
My Mollee had a section and they put the pups on her as soon as she was half way coming around ,I took them all home that day and Mollee had no problems feeding 7 . I do know some bitches can reject , but I find it strange they didnt tell you to put babies and mum together so they can encourage her milk asap

Fingers crossed all goes well from now
They sent her home as soon as they could and pups have been with her but the vet said to start feeding them Whelpi. Do you think I should let them try to take to her?

Edited to say, before I intervene?
i would leave her to it, she sounds like a good mum, washing does look a bit brutal, Grace used to push them here there and everywhere, just check they all have full bellys, our lot seemed to feed non stop, your know if they are hungry as they wont settle, good luck :luck:

Glad to hear they are at last here... :thumbsup: :unsure: but hoping Diamond is ok too... :huggles:

Best of luck Denise hope all goes well for you.

This feeding is worrying me. The pups have gone to her but they won't go near to suckle. One of her nipples have shrivelled up.

Not sure if I should leave her to get on with it and bottle feed them later if they can't settle. They are quite content for now.

I always wondered what the vets use to knock the bitch out when having a section.

I've had dogs go in for operations (toe removal and eye removal) and I've been in watching the toe op and I've had a bitch have a c-section for which I was also present.

The way in which the dogs went under and came round were completely different, still half dopey following the toe op. and straight round following the section (not the nicest way of coming round to actually witness) but on the whole the bitch was lucid and alert to the cries of her puppies immediately.

It seems other people have had different experiences, I wonder if different vets prefer different methods of anasthaesia for c-section.

On the up side glad your girl and puppies are all safe and well, paws crossed for my own bitch in 9 days time. :luck:

Thanks for the advice, i've got Pm's and may ring you later! In the meantime these babies are crying so i'm gonna give them a quick feed in front of mom and put them straight back.

It is a different anaesthetic for c- sections but not all vets use it :blink:

congratulations on your new brood,sorry that it didnt go to plan in the resulting having a c section

There seem to be quite a few bitches having sections atm

hope shes feels better soon and start to feed them...hope they get feeding in first 24 hours,colustrum(sp) is so important to them

Poor Diamond, she must be really sore right now. Do vets give metacalm or some kind of pain killer to lactating bitches?

I have no experience of newly whelped bitches only a 'C' Section. I certainly do not want to contradict advice that you have been given by the members of the forum who have loads of experience so my suggestion is practical only.

Probably better that you give them a feed if Mum cannot right now. Just having them by her will probably help her produce milk. They will gain some strength from a feed even if it is not from Mum. I agree, the colestrum is vital but perhaps they will get the hang of wanting a nipple after they have tasted milk (regardless of where the 1st feed comes from). It sounds like she is bonding which is fantastic. Sounds like you are going to have a long night. Pull up an armchair sit back and let her get on with it :D

You must be delighted with the pups. lots of gentle :wub: :wub: :wub: for Diamond.

i have just come back from my vets with the pups, i did mention to him what you vet had said...to say he was horrified was an understatement :eek: :eek:

as for pain killers, yes i had to give grace pain killers for about 5 days, but to be honest by the next day you wouldn't of know pups arrived by a C-sec, she even cleared the stairgate in the middle of the night because she wanted out :eek: needless to say i never put the gate on again!! :blink: :wacko:

Photo's as promised

Proud Mommy

Diamond1.jpg

Group

Diamond2.jpg

Star

Star.jpg

Romeo

Romeo.jpg

Lily

Lily.jpg

Heather

Heather.jpg

Florence

Florence.jpg

Dizzee

Dizzee.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, lens must need a clean!

OOOH! So gorgeous = am now really excited, can't wait vfor mine. They are all so good looking, you must be so proud and Diamond actually looks amazing for all she has been through. :wub:

They all look beautiful Denise... :wub: has she start to feed them herself ..bless her.

Congratulations on the new babies.

How is she doing now? Is she feeding them now or are you having to bottle feed them?

Congratulations on a gorgeous litter :wub: wishing mum a speedy recovery :wub: :wub:

lovely piccy, looks like all is going well :luck:

im so pleased for you :thumbsup:

pups are :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Is she feeding them yet?? Most important you get her to feed them, it will help her hormones to kick in and her milk to come down. I can't believe your vet told you to take them away from her and bottle feed them. They need mum's milk asap. Hope all is going better now. Really worried for them.

Puppy pics do it for me every time :blink:

They are stunning. You must be really proud of Diamond.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back