The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A ferrety update

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just blooming gorgeous....thank you for the update :D

For JoanneF - regarding the smell - entire males can get unbelievably whiffy during the breeding season, so every chance that was the cause of his personal freshness problem!

Neutered males don't smell anything like as bad.

For JoanneF - regarding the smell - entire males can get unbelievably whiffy during the breeding season, so every chance that was the cause of his personal freshness problem!

Neutered males don't smell anything like as bad.
Thank you. I'm now armed with a little more information for use in future pet negotiations ...

But not for along time, T is not a dog who would tolerate a second pet. Especially a ferrety type.

I wonder what Jasper would have thought of a ferret? His mum used to work in tandem with them.

I cuddled a ferret at a county fair once. My jumper had to go straight in the wash when I got home, so I'm assuming that was an entire male.

As well as the, um, usual male smell:rolleyes:, they can let off a really intense whiff a bit like a concentrated Tom cat's wee smell when they are scared, worried or get a bit over excited in my boys case! I can only liken it to what I would imagine a skunk smells like, without the added liquid that they spray:eek:. The smell does go eventually over the course of maybe 15 minutes or so, but it is quite choking at the time!
@Hemlock is that right? I'm only going on the experiences I've had with my lot, even Sid used to do this and he was neutered and pretty sure my girls had done this smell too...@JoanneF I wonder if the ferret you found had let off this particular whiff maybe because he was lost and scared?

That's interesting - one of my rats, in his last few days, just wanted to be cuddled all the time, and he stank. I wrapped him in a towel for cuddles so I didn't have to keep changing my top. I assumed he'd just given up on self-grooming, but maybe it was a stress response?

Ref. the ferret pong - when scared (either sex), they actually drop a thick liquid from their scent glands. The pong is unbelievable, and it lingers - it lingers.......

My boys randomly let off this smell when they've been totally fast asleep, the smell does hit like a tonne of bricks! And yes if I have happened to pick one up just after they do feel a bit oily... Though the air is thick with it, it does seem to start to wane after 15minutes or so (or maybe I've just got used to it!!o_O), which to be fair is long enough especially as they live indoors!!:eek: I've always gone to check them of course and they're not even twitching, not a murmur, do you think they are having bad dreams??

Thought it's been a while since I updated on the boys:) Thankfully they're both doing well and are as mad as a box of frogs still!!:D
Usually they have their own favourite type of toy/things to steal but recently they've both decided that a particular semi hard foam ball is both their absolute must have thing! It's very funny watching one run past with it on a mission to stash then a few minutes later the other one will appear with it running the other way, where he's stolen it back!
Iggy, of course, is way more imaginative about where he hides it and Goose, of course, places it in the same 3 spots virtually every time:D:D:D Goose only really gets lucky if he clocks Iggy disappearing with it, then he'll follow, watch and wait for Iggy to walk away, then steal it back again.
They are both pretty clever in very different ways :cool: hours of amusement! Here's some more pics, Goose's other name is 'bin boy' as you can see from the photos, he loves it in there(only when it's empty btw!:eek:) and will roll around in it and generally have a great time all on his own, he is an odd boy!:D

Oh WOW! they are ADORABLE! a walking mate we had in Cornwall had two ferrets, Robin would walk them for ages! All of them sniffing at this and at that through the woods!

I would love to get ours out, but Goose can slip a harness and I'd be so worried he'd get spooked and we'd lose him! I've tried about 3 different ones, including the figure of eight one that is supposed to be unslip-able...o_O
I saw a youtube video once of someone just walking along the beach with their ferret all free with no lead and I thought how lovely!:) Ours are pretty good and do come when you call them, (unless they are choosing to ignore you that is:confused:), but to be fair I would really struggle to pick a spot to walk them in our area as there is an ever expanding dog population!!

You have to watch out for cats. too. I used to walk my first ferret along the village pavements, until one day a cat shot out of a garden and almost nabbed him. He'd have gone down fighting, but one just doesn't want that kind of situation.

:eek: Eek! Wouldn't want that either!! And yes a ferret would not go quietly that's for sure, it would be very messy and traumatic for all...!:eek:
Think I'll happily keep my boys in the safety of the home, living a life of Riley:D

It was year ago yesterday that we lost our Sid:(, still really miss the stinky, old, thieving, snuggly, love bug!
He was a rather special boy so I decided to do something to commemorate him and his one love Winnie, but it's not quite ready yet, I will post a pic in a few days or so. Any guesses?:cool:

Aw, hugs (((Flobo))). Ummm, a snuggly ferret blankie embroidered with their names? A brand new pair of ferret pups?

No, sadly no kits...(not 'pups';):D) Though last time I volunteered at RSPCA they wanted me to foster a baby for a while, but with my rambunctious pair it would of been difficult unfortunately, plus I knew I'd fall in love and keep him!!
Ferret kits are just too super cute:cool:
Your other idea was good but last Christmas I went a bit mad in that department and we already have a cushion, a hot water bottle cover and a canvas with Sid's face on!:rolleyes::D

No, sadly no kits...(not 'pups';):D)

To be fair, we sometimes refer to our sons as puppies:D Though this has got more confusing now as one of our pups has his own little puppy.

OK, I'm going for some sort of sculpture then - a carved ferret, or made of clay, Fimo, etc....

No other guesses? I'll give a clue, it involves ink and um... skin...:rolleyes::p

Ahhhhh.... a tattoo!

I should have guessed. I'm planning on getting one of Jasper, but I haven't decided on the exact style. If anyone here has artistic abilities and would like to help kick some ideas around, please let me know!

I can't wait to see what yours looks like:)

I saw a meme I liked the other day: 'Get that tattoo - your parents are already disappointed in you' :D

I'm planning on getting one of Jasper,

That will be so cool, Jasper had a great face:) I had mine a week ago, so hopefully by the weekend it will be presentable for a pic and not all shedding still!:eek:
I had my first at 15 and by the time I was 19 I had a back piece, never told my parents except my dad saw it above my sweatshirt one day! I told him it was temporary and it would fade over 6months which he was relieved about:rolleyes:, my mum just rolled her eyes behind his back!:D:D Think at my age now they've accepted it all, well my mum has, dad just says nothing...:oops::D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back