The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Proper Introduction From Me!

GreyKnight

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I thought I'd introduce myself and my dog properly since my other thread was more to do with my dog not being very well (thanks for the advice on that one).

My name is Graham, I'm 27 and I live with my folks on the family farm in Worcestershire. I'm not a farmer myself, I just haven't gotten around to moving out yet ;) .

My family have always had Whippets as house dogs and (before dad retired) Border Collies as working dogs. This is with the exception of my brother who is a Jack Russell fan and my sister who has owned several Italian Greyhounds (her current dogs are called Brutus and Sonny). At 10 years of age Merlin is our current Whippet and was chosen and named by me so I consider him to be "my" dog despite the fact that he plays "morale officer" to the whole family. We bought Merlin from a retired Vet by the name of Ms Usher who bred Whippets, though she sadly passed away a few years ago. Merlin was in a way the runt of his litter since he was the only party colour dog amongst mainly fawn animals. I must admit that it was his colour that caught my eye even though my mother is a bit of a puritan and wanted another fawn dog :- " . We ended up with Merlin anyway and the whole family love him to bits.

Before I was born my mother owned a few Whippets, Gemma and Honey Bee are two names I hear mentioned and I think Gemma was still around when I was very small, though I don't remember her. My first Whippet (bought when I was 3) was called Pippin or Pip for short and was a fawn dog. His distinguishing feature was a kinked tail which he broke as a puppy and it healed oddly. Here is a picture I found recently of me with Pip after a New Year party back in 1990! :b

partyanimal.JPG

Pip passed away in 1995 at the age of 13 and is buried in our back garden overlooking the open fields of our farm where he used to run (sniffle). He lies under a stone slab upon which is sat a concrete statue of a Whippet lying down. My brother's first Jack Russell Trevor who passed away just last year is buried next to him although we haven't found a suitable statue for him yet.

Obviously Merlin is the current "ruler" of the farm and I hope he will be around for a few years yet. There's no doubt that we will have another Whippet when Merlin is gone (personally I wish we could have two so that they can keep each other company, but my folks think two dogs is too much of an expense and a burden - we'll have to see who wins when the time comes!). I would like to think I will continue to own Whippets all through my life also.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you a bit about my Whippet background and to generally say hello!

Graham

...and hello to you too Graham :thumbsup:

Hi Graham :)) a very warm welcome to k9 :thumbsup: nice to hear all about your familys dogs-hope you get another whippet soon,they seem to be very addictive (w00t) ask anyone on here,we have five super whips & a jack russel type,that looks more like a miniture staff :lol: & last but not least a lakeland x patterdale :huggles: .....lovely photos as well :thumbsup:

Lovely to meet u,hope to see many pics and hear more of ur lovely animals and family!

Do pop into chat,we have a good laugh and many debates.Most peeps are great on here.

Welcome to K9. Come into the chatroom at some point and say hello, we have a good laugh. Look forward to hearing more about your dogs! (w00t)

Hello Graham. I was facinated when reading your doggy history. Clearly, a strong whippet thread has run through your years to date. How lucky you are. I did not discover the joy of whippets until much later in my life . Wishing you joy with your dogs in the future and welcome to K9! They call me Lampy (amongst other things).

Best wishes

Chris :thumbsup:

Hello :D and a big welcome to k9 Graham, nice to hear about you an you family, I got my first whippet 2 years ago and now have 4 I am totally addicted to the breed :huggles:

Hello and welcome to K9 Graham :) what a lovely introduction, looking forward to hearing more about your dogs and we all love seeing pictures :thumbsup:

I got my first whippet last year and now have 2, wish I had found the breed earlier as they are a pleasure to own :wub:

Hi Graham and Merlin, welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

Hello and welcome.

Thanks for your intro and photos. Photos are always very popular here.

Look forward to chatting with you more.

hi and welcome Graham :D lovely to read your intro and look forward to seeing some more photos :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Graham and Merlin and welcome.

Lovely to read about yourself and your dogs. Merlins lovely and far from being the runt of the litter, think he may have been the pick of the litter. :D :thumbsup:

Welcome to K9 Graham and Merlin :cheers: How lovely to read your interesting introduction explaining how you and your family have loved your whippets over the years :) - I hope you enjoy reading more about much loved whippets on this site. :thumbsup:

I just have one whippet, Zephyr but I absolutely adore him :wub: :wub: , and would have another one like a shot, if it wasn't for the other half. :angry:

Hi Graham - :cheers: Welcome to K9. What a lovely intoductory story -to hear about your doggy family. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing some pictures too. :thumbsup:

What a lovely introduction. It's obvious you're a whippet and dog lover, so you're in good company!

Looking forward to seeing more photos. Good luck with Merlin :luck:

Hi Graham, and welcome. Great story, you look a little sloshed in the Chrissy photo!!

Gillian Usher bred some lovely dogs and was a very well respected and loved person in the Whippet show world. No wonder Merlin is so special. It is a shame not to hae 2 Whippets, they do love being together. :wub:

Welcome to K9 Graham & Merlin. It does seem that once you've had a whippet no other breed can compare, and the only thing better than a whippet is.......lots of whippets :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back