The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Question About Condition

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
RupertOct06.jpg

~whitecross whippets~ said:
one of my dogs casper is too thin....he is very deep chested and leggy...all his ribs show and his backbone is very arched and obvious....he eats me out of house and home and gets a very good diet but i have had to accept he is just the way he is...i asked the vet to see if he could treat him with medication to help him but he isnt willing to do this as he is perfectly healthy....the only problem i find is that he feels the cold terribly...but he now has a wardrobe full of jumpers so he is happy :thumbsup:
I would be very worried indeed if I had a dog who seemed perfectly healthy, eats properly yet was a bag of bones. It is not natural and there must be some underlying cause for it. I'm not surprised the poor dog feels the cold!!

I like to be able to feel the ribs but not necessarily see them, or pin bones. I tend to go by how muscular they feel rather than how much they weigh or what bones you can see. I also like to see a 'waist' on my dogs. Millie thought mine were too thin last Sunday but I would say they are just right!! This is Rupert taken last Sunday .........lighting is pants in that hall!! Didn't take one of Bertha but she feels much the same

Breed standard -

Balanced combination of muscular power and strength with elegance and grace of outline. Built for speed and work. All forms of exaggeration should be avoided.

Chest very deep with plenty of heart room. Well filled in front. Brisket deep. Broad, well muscled back, firm, somewhat long, showing graceful arch over the loin but not humped. Ribs well sprung. Loin giving impression of strength and power. Definite tuck up.

dessie said:
View attachment 37108
one of my dogs casper is too thin....he is very deep chested and leggy...all his ribs show and his backbone is very arched and obvious....he eats me out of house and home and gets a very good diet but i have had to accept he is just the way he is...i asked the vet to see if he could treat him with medication to help him but he isnt willing to do this as he is perfectly healthy....the only problem i find is that he feels the cold terribly...but he now has a wardrobe full of jumpers so he is happy :thumbsup:
I would be very worried indeed if I had a dog who seemed perfectly healthy, eats properly yet was a bag of bones. It is not natural and there must be some underlying cause for it. I'm not surprised the poor dog feels the cold!!

I like to be able to feel the ribs but not necessarily see them, or pin bones. I tend to go by how muscular they feel rather than how much they weigh or what bones you can see. I also like to see a 'waist' on my dogs. Millie thought mine were too thin last Sunday but I would say they are just right!! This is Rupert taken last Sunday .........lighting is pants in that hall!! Didn't take one of Bertha but she feels much the same

Rupert looks bang on to me. :thumbsup:

05whippet said:
dessie said:
View attachment 37108

Kaz's Casper was originally mine as a puppy we had serious eating problems with him .The problem was he wouldn't eat anything believe you me we tried everything!!! and I mean everything. Kaz took him on as a companion for Gypsy and I know he has the best of everything He has been seen by various vets and there is no underlying problem . He is fit healthy and just like a skinny person that can eat cream cakes by the dozen and put no weight on.

Seeing as he is now six and a half years old and as happy as Larry I don't think there is any need for concern .Just like people some are fat some are thin

oakmoorehill said:
He is fit healthy and just like a skinny person that can eat cream cakes by the dozen and put no weight on.
oh, I see now. He is like the sort of people I hate :angry: :lol:

Tesa said:
manor whippets said:
Dogs in my experance tend to burn weight off faster than bitches but each dog is different and you can only find out what is right thru trial and error.

Has anyone else notice this and if so, is there any particular reason?

Hormones! :) Male hormones convert energy into muscles, female hormones turn it into fat deposits.

In that second pic Beau looks perfectly well covered, and he will still be maturing bit over the next 6 -12 months. Having all the space to run he is nicely fit. Pheobe looks fine to me, i can just see the hint of her ribs so she is not too fat, she looks like a strong bitch. from now on she will not grow very much if at all.

I used to feed Eagle Pack (for couple of years) it is good, especialy the holistic formulas, but so expensive. I find Bonnie just as good at about 1/4 of the price and actually my dogs prefer it. Best way to put a weight on a dog is to cook tripe and ox toungue stew for them. :thumbsup: especially good in the winter to keep them warm. :)

I also judge my dogs condition by look and do not worry about weight very much, except in baby pups as a guide that they are all keeping up with each other.

dessie said:
I would be very worried indeed if I had a dog who seemed perfectly healthy, eats properly yet was a bag of bones.  It is not natural and there must be some underlying cause for it.  I'm not surprised the poor dog feels the cold!!
There could be some pancreatic problem, but if he was checked out that should be OK. Then again dog that runs a lot or is just hyperactive will burn off lot of energy. I would only worry if the dog was over 2.5years or was showing some other signs of not being well. Energy is also used to keep the dog warm, so dressing him helps to conserve what he's got. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
oakmoorehill said:
05whippet said:
dessie said:
View attachment 37108

Kaz's Casper was originally mine as a puppy we had serious eating problems with him .The problem was he wouldn't eat anything believe you me we tried everything!!! and I mean everything. Kaz took him on as a companion for Gypsy and I know he has the best of everything He has been seen by various vets and there is no underlying problem . He is fit healthy and just like a skinny person that can eat cream cakes by the dozen and put no weight on.

Seeing as he is now six and a half years old and as happy as Larry I don't think there is any need for concern .Just like people some are fat some are thin

Metabolism is the word here, like all living creatures we all differ.take me fer instance. like ive said before, i can eat a tata more than a pig. yet still have the body of TED LUNE, and now im off to the kitchen for a bacon sarni, oozimg with lurpak, goodnight

:p

masta said:
Breed standard -
Balanced combination of muscular power and strength with elegance and grace of outline. Built for speed and work. All forms of exaggeration should be avoided.

Chest very deep with plenty of heart room.  Well filled in front.  Brisket deep.  Broad, well muscled back, firm, somewhat long, showing graceful arch over the loin but not humped.  Ribs well sprung.  Loin giving impression of strength and power.  Definite tuck up.

Australian Standard is almost the same as yours Masta, just worded a little differently. I guess the key to understanding it is in how you define the standard;

Australian Standard says: (excuse me if this is wrong - have a 10 year old copy)

General Apearance Balanced combination of muscular power and strength with elegance and grace of outline. Built for speed and work. All forms of exaggeration should be avoided.

Forequarters

Shoulders oblique and muscular, blades carried up to the top of spine, where they are cleary defined. Forelegs straight and upright, front not to wide, pastern strong with a slight spring, elbows set well under body

Body

Chest very deep with plenty of heart room, brisket deep, well defined, broad back, firm, somewhat long, showing definte arch over loin but not humped. Loin giving impression of strength and power, ribs well sprung, muscled on back.

What stands out to me is the focus on muscular tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
In that second pic Beau looks perfectly well covered, and he will still be maturing bit over the next 6 -12 months.  Thanks Lida.  He has been a real struggle to keep weight on.  I was feeding him twice a day (plus snacks) a mix fresh foods and kibble (Bonnie, Hills Science and Royal Canin) I use to look at his bowl sometimes and think even I could not eat all that. Which is why I resorted to putting him back onto the puppy food. But you have seen him he is a great big healthly muscley dog, so he must have been burning up his food at the rate of knots

Having all the space to run he is nicely fit.  Pheobe looks fine to me, i can just see the hint of her ribs so she is not too fat, she looks like a strong bitch.  from now on she will not grow very much if at all.

I will be interested to see how she changes as she starts to come off the puppy food

I used to feed Eagle Pack (for couple of years) it is good, especialy the holistic formulas, but so expensive. 

You're not wrong, but it has done the trick (w00t)

I find Bonnie just as good at about 1/4 of the price and actually my dogs prefer it.  Best way to put a weight on a dog is to cook tripe and ox toungue stew for them. :thumbsup:   especially good in the winter to keep them warm. :)   What tripe are you able to get here. 

I thought that it needed to be something called green tripe, and our aussie tripe was different to the Uk tripe. I was using lamb mince which I thought might have a higher fat content, which would have been good for Beau. I was also giving him cooked lamb hearts

I also judge my dogs condition by look and do not worry about weight very much, except in baby pups as a guide that they are all keeping up with each other. 

Batterys are flat in my scales - keeps me from standing on them :lol:   So I have no choice but to judge by eye. 

The white tripe is just washed green tripe. The tripe is green because it is stained by grass the cow eats. It does not look fatty but it is very rich and so are the ox tongues. But they both need at least an hour cooking. It does not smell.

Seraphina said:
The white tripe is just washed green tripe.  The tripe is green because it is stained by grass the cow eats.  It does not look fatty but it is very rich and so are the ox tongues.  But they both need at least an hour cooking.  It does not smell.
Oh it use to stink when my mother use to cook it for my father - :x

I dont cook any of my tripe Karen, just feed it raw.

If only I could discover something TJ WON'T eat!!!! He stole and ate without a trace a sesame seeded baguette (that I had only just bought) last Monday.

The most recent delicacy are some kind of toadstool/mushroom that he found rummaging in the undergrowth on the disused railway embankment. Goodness knows if it was poisonous of not ........... but he is still alive and well!!!

Janimal said:
Seraphina said:
Janimal said:
I dont cook any of my tripe Karen, just feed it raw.
I wish my dogs would eat it raw

I just carried on wit the raw diet after getting them from their breeders - and they have never ever turned their noses up at much really. :lol:

I have heard some dogs just dont or wont eat it.

Have to admit my two are missing the raw meat, pasta and veges they use to get. The first few days after being on the Eagle Pack, they would just look at their bowl wondering where their real dinner was :lol:

they are fussy buggers arent they ;)

i just couldnt stomach the raw tripe that he was on and was virtually gagging when putting it out :lol: so i changed him over to beta puppy dried food and to be honest the tripe was so vile that i changed him over quicker than i should :- " luckily he had no stomach upset though.he was ok for a few meals but then started to ignore his food and started trying to grab bits of my other dogs food as he has tinned meat mixed in with his dried.i then decided to try putting a bit of tinned puppy food in with his dried to give it some more flavour and he is now pretty happy although he does tend to eat the tinned meat and then leave the dried and then just keep popping back to see if there is anymore meat before eventually finishing his dried :D .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back