The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Question About Condition

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
jas328sport said:
they are fussy buggers arent they ;) i just couldnt stomach the raw tripe that he was on and was virtually gagging when putting it out :lol: so i changed him over to beta puppy dried food and to be honest the tripe was so vile that i changed him over quicker than i should :- " luckily he had no stomach upset though.he was ok for a few meals but then started to ignore his food and started trying to grab bits of my other dogs food as he has tinned meat mixed in with his dried.i then decided to try putting a bit of tinned puppy food in with his dried to give it some more flavour and he is now pretty happy although he does tend to eat the tinned meat and then leave the dried and then just keep popping back to see if there is anymore meat before eventually finishing his dried :D .

It really makes me sad to read posts like this. The breeder of your puppy has obviously done a marvellous job in rearing him, he is doing well and eating what dogs should eat and, just because you don't like the smell, you completely turn his world upside down and then blame him for being fussy! I think the fact that he is eating the tinned meat and then reluctantly the dried should tell you something. You don't have to buy tripe, there are other raw meats you could use which will probably suit him just as well.

dessie said:
If only I could discover something TJ WON'T eat!!!!  He stole and ate without a trace a sesame seeded baguette (that I had only just bought) last Monday. 
The most recent delicacy are some kind of toadstool/mushroom that he found rummaging in the undergrowth on the disused railway embankment.  Goodness knows if it was poisonous of not ........... [SIZE=14pt]but he is still alive and well[/SIZE]!!!

and thank heavens for that :thumbsup: ... :lol:

dessie said:
jas328sport said:
they are fussy buggers arent they ;) i just couldnt stomach the raw tripe that he was on and was virtually gagging when putting it out :lol: so i changed him over to beta puppy dried food and to be honest the tripe was so vile that i changed him over quicker than i should :- " luckily he had no stomach upset though.he was ok for a few meals but then started to ignore his food and started trying to grab bits of my other dogs food as he has tinned meat mixed in with his dried.i then decided to try putting a bit of tinned puppy food in with his dried to give it some more flavour and he is now pretty happy although he does tend to eat the tinned meat and then leave the dried and then just keep popping back to see if there is anymore meat before eventually finishing his dried :D .

It really makes me sad to read posts like this. The breeder of your puppy has obviously done a marvellous job in rearing him, he is doing well and eating what dogs should eat and, just because you don't like the smell, you completely turn his world upside down and then blame him for being fussy! I think the fact that he is eating the tinned meat and then reluctantly the dried should tell you something. You don't have to buy tripe, there are other raw meats you could use which will probably suit him just as well.

well i am so sorry :(

for your information i was actually told by both the breeder and the vet to change him over to beta puppy as it was much better for his teeth.he wasnt even eating the tripe very well but then that could have just been down to the change of home upsetting him rather than not liking his food.i took the decision to change his food as i found it disgusting and wasnt happy feeding raw meat that i didnt know the condition of and an alsation breeder friend of mine was quite shocked that he was fed raw meat.raw meat is very unhygenic and i also didnt fancy him running around licking my daughter after eating this.as for turning his world upside down,how ridiculous,what about seperating him from his mother and siblings,i would have thought that this would have been the thing to turn his world upside down not changing his grub.

jas328sport said:
for your information i was actually told by both the breeder and the vet to change him over to beta puppy as it was much better for his teeth.
I wonder why would breeder feed dogs tripe and then tell you to put him just on kibble? Actually I think dogs need wide variety of food to get all what they need. There are lot of kibbles supposedly good for their teeth, but I do not belive anything can be as good as chunk of meat or chicken necks the dog needs to bite hard. My dogs get ox hearts, ox tongues, tripe, sometime little bit of liver and kidneys, chicken necks. Some raw, some cooked into a casserole.

raw meat is very unhygenic and i also didnt fancy him running around licking my daughter after eating this.
That is totally ridiculous. Dogs eat/lick lot of worse things than raw meat.

To feed a dog exlusively on kibble is just like feeding a child only bread and handfull of vitamin pills.

Last edited by a moderator:
"raw meat is very unhygenic and i also didnt fancy him running around licking my daughter after eating"

and of course tinned meat (animal derivatives eyes,tongues,guts etc) is (w00t)

i come in peace :p horses for courses when it comes to dogs and their food. some dogs thrive on stuff that another dog would lose condition on. mine are on bakers complete (tinned and pouches cause major problems at the back end :x ) but i do supplement this with sardines, chicken and vegetables.

there are no hard and fast rules, all we can go by is the condition of our friends: eyes, coat, energy. if they look good, feel good and are thriving, then we've got it right.

jas328sport said:
dessie said:
jas328sport said:

well i am so sorry :(

for your information i was actually told by both the breeder and the vet to change him over to beta puppy as it was much better for his teeth.he wasnt even eating the tripe very well but then that could have just been down to the change of home upsetting him rather than not liking his food.i took the decision to change his food as i found it disgusting and wasnt happy feeding raw meat that i didnt know the condition of and an alsation breeder friend of mine was quite shocked that he was fed raw meat.raw meat is very unhygenic and i also didnt fancy him running around licking my daughter after eating this.as for turning his world upside down,how ridiculous,what about seperating him from his mother and siblings,i would have thought that this would have been the thing to turn his world upside down not changing his grub.

Jas328sport You obviously havnt read much about raw feeding then......

Dorwest site - Natural feeding for dogs

that is a very informative link and i have no problems in holding my hands up and admitting to being wrong :- "

i will go to our local pet shop today and have a look for something more suitable and raw :x

still dont believe that canned food is as unhygenic as raw though because although it contains bits of everything,at least it is cooked :blink: or at least i thought it was.

makes me wonder why both the breeder and vet suggested that i get him onto beta then if that is obviously not good enough on its own as that was bad advice so is a good thing that i found this site :)

thank you everyone for putting me straight :oops:

Tesa said:
jas328sport said:
makes me wonder why both the breeder and vet suggested that i get him onto beta

Did the vet happen to sell this brand in his surgery? :- "

that would have been the most obvious reason wouldnt it but no he didnt :wacko: they only sell the eukanebo (sp) or that science plan stuff.

well i have bought him some raw minced lamb which i mixed some beta into and put a raw egg on top and he absolutely loved the egg :)) how often is it ok for him to have an egg as that was by far his favourite bit.

I give mine scrambled egg for breakfast when they are puppies Jas,sometimes with a bit of cheese in :)

jas328sport said:
Tesa said:
jas328sport said:
makes me wonder why both the breeder and vet suggested that i get him onto beta

Did the vet happen to sell this brand in his surgery? :- "

that would have been the most obvious reason wouldnt it but no he didnt :wacko: they only sell the eukanebo (sp) or that science plan stuff.

well i have bought him some raw minced lamb which i mixed some beta into and put a raw egg on top and he absolutely loved the egg :)) how often is it ok for him to have an egg as that was by far his favourite bit.

i feed my 2 raw egg once a week why not try tuna in oil to give some variety also speak to a local butcher and ask for lamb bones stick with it your dog will benefit better teeth better breath and healthly too boot

so a bit of variety with the meat isnt a bad thing then.never thought of something like tuna being ok :blink:

dont know whether it was the egg or lamb that did it but my god there is some smelly wind coming out of him tonight :x he is just lying there looking really content whilst gassing the rest of us out :lol:

jas328sport said:
so a bit of variety with the meat isnt a bad thing then.never thought of something like tuna being ok :blink: dont know whether it was the egg or lamb that did it but my god there is some smelly wind coming out of him tonight :x he is just lying there looking really content whilst gassing the rest of us out :lol:

:x That may very well be the kibble, or he just eaten a lot after few days of not eating much. :) Dollop of natural yoghurt should help with that.

Many vets never had a dog themself, they only know what they were told in the vet school. The trouble is that every kibble comes with the claim it is the only perfect dog food, well if they are all different from each other they cannot be all perfect. Of-course, each dog is bit different too.

In any case all kibbles have two things in common; they are mainly cereal and they are highly processed.

jas328sport said:
so a bit of variety with the meat isnt a bad thing then.never thought of something like tuna being ok :blink: dont know whether it was the egg or lamb that did it but my god there is some smelly wind coming out of him tonight :x he is just lying there looking really content whilst gassing the rest of us out :lol:

Tuna, sardines in oil, tomato sauce, mix with some veggies, and pasta, or boiled rice, freeflow tripe from pet city n pets at home mix it with some quality dog mixer,

breakfasts, brown gread toasted in some milk, plenty of variation, just use your imagination

keith

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back