The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Acorn eating

Karen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Some of our dogs are already starting to eat the small acorns that dropped in last weeks wind. When the big ones come down they will scoff those too. Question is are they harmfull as in equines. The cottage we had in Devon has three in the garden so should we be looking for a new house with no Oak trees.

2nd question, is anyone from Shropshire and whats it like.

Yes Acorns are toxic to dogs, can have varied effects.

Can't help with Shropshire though!!!

I wouldn't imagine they'd do them much good - probably give them a poorly stomach.

Karen,

I found this on Net. A Vet Q&A topic

Kate asks about symptoms of her dog having a seizure or stomach cramping, possibly from what she eats:

Twice my dog, a pure-bred black labrador retriever (age 5) has come in from our large fenced back yard and appeared to have severe cramping or a seizure. She pulls to the side and shakes, all muscles tense and obviously uncomfortable. She does not lose consciousness.

These episodes last for approximately 1 minute. When in the yard she wanders around eating things--unfortunately animal defacation among them. We clean them up frequently, but she and her sister go out 3 and 4 times a day to

run and play (the yard is completely fenced). The other dog, same litter, does not have this problem. I also have a very large summer garden and she tends to wander through and eat left-over cabbage, broccoli corn etc. that I leave to be dug under in the following spring season.

What is your best guess. Seizure disorder of some kind or cramping stomach?

Dr. Mary Mountain of Plaza Animal Clinic replies:

Kate, what kind of trees do you have in the lot? sometimes a dog makes a habit of eating acorns, etc....they can be toxic in large amounts, whether eaten all at once or several a day over a period of time. i would check into

trees, shrubs, flowers, etc., that are in your yard to see if any are poisonous to pets. another thing that comes to mind, though an unpleasant thought...do you get along with your neighbors? do they like your dogs? though not a common occurance...some pets are being intentionally poisoned by annoyed neighbors.

Hi,

I would definitely agree that acorns are mildly toxic and should be avoided, unless of course you have pigs when acorn-fed pork used to be regarded as a seasonal treat!

I would also add a warning against letting your whippets pick and eat their own blackberries. A good few years ago my beloved (and now sadly deceased) parti-colour dog used to love to pick his own blackberries as he walked along the lanes. He did this regularly on virtually every walk during blackberry season.

One morning, bright and very early, he picked a blackberry which must have still had some of the stalk attached to it and, instead of swallowing it down he managed to inhale it down his windpipe. My mother had him and two bitches out on her own at the time. The first she was aware that things were wrong were when he started dry-wretching, then could not seem to get his breath back and ended up in a virtual state of collapse. Somehow or other she managed to walk the two bitches and carry him the 1.5 miles back home, then immediately take him to our vets for emergency treatment.

They had to sedate him, insert a tube through one nostril and down his windpipe as far as possible, then cautiously "flush" him out - how they managed this without drowning him I don't know. Anyway, he made a full recovery and ever since that day we have never let any of our dogs pick their own blackberries, but always pick them for them.

Sorry if this is slightly off the subject, but I felt it was a seasonal tale worth imparting.

Many thanks for all your replies, I thought the acorns could'nt be too good for them. Now what, raking up the acorns, 4 trees, I dont think so :0

Wanted house with no Oak trees (or blackberries) or Pear trees, my old bitch used to eat the pears and give herself stomach cramps.

Karen said:
Some of our dogs are already starting to eat the small acorns that dropped in last weeks wind.  When the big ones come down they will scoff those too.  Question is are they harmfull as in equines.  The cottage we had in Devon has three in the garden so should we be looking for a new house with no Oak trees.

my Bichon frise past away last night from eating acorns. it hit him hard. major toxins in his system and i had the Doc operate thinking it was something else maybe he swallowed but no it was acorns and he is now dead. the doctor was excellent and I'm aware surgery or no surgery for exploration my Puppy would have been dead either way with the toxins. so bad in his system. he had the symptoms of blooding stool two days prior and threw up some acorns through the week, but yesterday was the day when i came home to my puppy all covered with his own stool and throw up. weird clear liquid coming from rectum and constant flow of juices out the mouth, not cohearant and my heart hurts as i type...i wrapped in my blanket for him rushed him to his doc and did a bunch of test. and transferred to ER and we went on with best recommendation with limited money but did anyways and he just didn't make it. it was a mess in his stomach and some exploded of intestines and the doc fixed it but blood went in lungs and he passed away. i never knew acorns were so poisonous and i was told this is rare as most cases are in cows and sheep. but some dogs are more prone to being poisoning. my bichon weighed only 16 pounds and was only 7 months old. my kids hearts are broken and i'm in tears now but i just want some how the word to be out about these acorns that can kill dogs. i never knew and i would have swept my porch more often. i have inside dogs but i had a kids Halloween party and the dogs were in and out on the deck that one day. my dogs are actually kitty litter trained dogs and never out. i was so ignorant to what is toxic to your dogs. i hope this article helps another person. keep your pets away from acorns

I am so sorry to read this

RIP Little one at least you are no longer in pain

Hope the kids are ok

That answers the question about acorns I think :(

:( So sorry for your loss.

A few of mine where eating some acorns today over the fields, i had no idea they where toxic :(

They wont be doing it again.

my Bichon frise past away last night from eating acorns. it hit him hard. major toxins in his system and i had the Doc operate thinking it was something else maybe he swallowed but no it was acorns and he is now dead. the doctor was excellent and I'm aware surgery or no surgery for exploration my Puppy would have been dead either way with the toxins. so bad in his system. he had the symptoms of blooding stool two days prior and threw up some acorns through the week, but yesterday was the day when i came home to my puppy all covered with his own stool and throw up. weird clear liquid coming from rectum and constant flow of juices out the mouth, not cohearant and my heart hurts as i type...i wrapped in my blanket for him rushed him to his doc and did a bunch of test. and transferred to ER and we went on with best recommendation with limited money but did anyways and he just didn't make it. it was a mess in his stomach and some exploded of intestines and the doc fixed it but blood went in lungs and he passed away. i never knew acorns were so poisonous and i was told this is rare as most cases are in cows and sheep. but some dogs are more prone to being poisoning. my bichon weighed only 16 pounds and was only 7 months old. my kids hearts are broken and i'm in tears now but i just want some how the word to be out about these acorns that can kill dogs. i never knew and i would have swept my porch more often. i have inside dogs but i had a kids Halloween party and the dogs were in and out on the deck that one day. my dogs are actually kitty litter trained dogs and never out. i was so ignorant to what is toxic to your dogs. i hope this article helps another person. keep your pets away from acorns

How awfully devastating for you...I really don't know what to say...I really feel for you. It is good of you to come on here and warn others.

I am so terribly sorry that such an awful thing has happened

Pauline

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen said:
We lived near Bridgnorth between 1991-1999 and really loved it. We still have a house there as the one we live in at the moment comes with my husband's job. Most of the county is very rural - the south and west are also pretty remote - but we found it quiet and peaceful and the roads are so quiet compared to where we live now. Not the best place to be if you like big shopping sprees :- " (unless you're around the Shrewsbury/Telford area) but if you like a more rural way of life, then Shropshire is a good county to be in. :)

PennyandDan said:
So sorry to hear about your little dog. :( Thinking of you and the children at this sad time. :huggles:

i've heard that conkers are likewise bad for dogs. at my old primary school they banned us all from playing with them as the caretakers two dobes kept on eating the broken pieces and getting sick as a result.

:( i'm sorry for your loss gilliwigs :luck:

lalena said:
i've heard that conkers are likewise bad for dogs. at my old primary school they banned us all from playing with them as the caretakers two dobes kept on eating the broken pieces and getting sick as a result.
:( i'm sorry for your loss gilliwigs :luck:

thank you to all of your responses and kind hearted regards. a pet is part of your family and we are all mourning for our puppy named Peppy. I just wish i knew about acorns so i could have spared him the pain and agony he went through just to go to (my daughter calls it) puppy heaven.

to good health for all your pets

sincerely

PennyandDan said:
Karen said:
Some of our dogs are already starting to eat the small acorns that dropped in last weeks wind.  When the big ones come down they will scoff those too.  Question is are they harmfull as in equines.  The cottage we had in Devon has three in the garden so should we be looking for a new house with no Oak trees.

Im so sorry to hear about your dog.. :(

I hope he didnt die in vain and this learns us all a vital lesson, I for one will take much more care around them.

Sorry to Welcome you to K9 in such sad circumstances, and will be thinking of you and your family at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry for your loss, PennyandDan. My thoughts are with you and your children :(

I knew acorns weren't good for dogs but I hadn't realised how toxic they could be. I'll be much more careful about what my dogs are foraging in the woods from now on.

so sorry about your little dog PennyandDan :( , thinking of you and your children at this sad time for you all :( :huggles:

Such a sad and devasting thing to have happened,I am so sorry to hear of your loss PennyandDan and I am thinking of you and your children. :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back