The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice on moving dog to new owners

CaptainMoll

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello - I'm totally new to this forum AND to dog-owning. In fact, I don't even own a dog *yet*.
I'm looking into adopting a spaniel from an older friend. He's moving home to be nearer family and it won't be a suitable place for his dog, plus he's struggling to cope as he's getting on and doesn't have the energy.

Can anyone give me any advice about whether it's best for the dog if I build up visits gradually, or is a clean break better? I don't want to confuse her! We already know we'll do at least one trial visit/holiday to make sure she likes it with me and that it's a suitable home etc, but - assuming that works out - I'm not sure what the best plan is after that first trial.

Thanks!

I'm a new owner too, having adopted a dog. Based on my experience, I'd say build up gradually, increasing the number of visits, and going out on walks with your friend and your dog-to-be. If it's practical, include the dog and even its current owner in visiting your home. I wouldn't recommend a clean break - I would think the dog will be confused as it is, just moving it in one go will just add to this and cause stress. Also, when you take over the dog, make sure it has comforts from its current home - bed, toys, etc. - to give it a degree of familiarity in its new surroundings. I hope that helps, people with much more knowledge and experience will be along shortly. Please post back from time to time to let us know how you're all getting on.

Hello - I'm totally new to this forum AND to dog-owning. In fact, I don't even own a dog *yet*.
I'm looking into adopting a spaniel from an older friend. He's moving home to be nearer family and it won't be a suitable place for his dog, plus he's struggling to cope as he's getting on and doesn't have the energy.

Can anyone give me any advice about whether it's best for the dog if I build up visits gradually, or is a clean break better? I don't want to confuse her! We already know we'll do at least one trial visit/holiday to make sure she likes it with me and that it's a suitable home etc, but - assuming that works out - I'm not sure what the best plan is after that first trial.

Thanks!
From my experience do it slowly! do some visits at your friends house and some at your house. you could also walk the dog some days so you get an insight on what he is like on walks and around other dogs. just keep us updated and we look forward to hearing how your journey goes! :)

Id say gradually too, most rescues like you to meet your potential new dog a couple of times at least before taking them home and I think its a really good idea.

Will the dog go to live with you in a car? As others suggested maybe take the dog for walks, then one day a short car trip to something fun, maybe even a visit to your house. Make everything fun and rewarding, have some super special treats everytime you meet the dog and they will soon figure out you are a good human

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back