The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Please - New Puppy

redddragon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, we are quite new to this forum we're getting our pup on saturday morning (bedlington x whippet called Elsie :) ).

Just a couple of questions: what flea control products are there for young pups, and what would you recommend? Also at what age can you start using flea control stuff??

Also is it safe to introduce her to other vaccinated dogs before she gets her own jabs? (only very limited contact bear in mind.)

Finally, we live in flats and the people who live above us have a dog (bleedin' chihauahauahauh or whatever its called :rant: ), the garden is shared so is it safe to let her out for house training before she has her vaccinations?

We will not be taking her out at the same time as this other dog but there's a good chance this other dog has left some mess somewhere in the grass...

Sorry if any of these questions seem a bit stupid but this is our first pup! We've had adult dogs before but never had one from a puppy.

The breeder will probably be able to help us out when we see her on saturday but a bit of heads up advice would be good beforehand.

Thanks!

Puppies can be flea treated - most companies do a puppy version of their flea control, just make sure it says suitable for puppies when you buy it.

As for going in the garden with vaccinated dogs, that is not a problem. It's the unvaccinated dogs they need to avoid. Personally I think the sooner they start meeting vaccinated dogs the better. Our pup Bryn lives with 4 other vaccinated dogs, and as a result is a confident pup who knows how to react to other dogs.

Have fun with Elsie - looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get her.

i never use flea treatments on mine unless its needed,carnt see the point in putting chemicals on your dog when they dont have a flea problem.

i do give mine garlic in their food twice a week which acts as a deterrent to fleas :thumbsup:

carnt remember the last time i saw a flea to be honest :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I was about to say I never use anything to prevent fleas either and my dogs have never had fleas.

Wendy

Hi, I will only treat mine if they get fleas, I can't remember the last time we had a flea problem. No point in using flea sprays or collars if you don't need to.

I hope your upstairs chihuahua people clean up after their dog if you have to share the garden with them!!!!!!!!

Only had fleas once here and that was more than enough. I don't treat monthly as recommended just when I feel it is necessary during the summer as the boys tend to run in areas were plenty of sheep have been.

Just something that springs to mind. Obviously your pup will be wormed regularly whilst it is young but perhaps the importance of regular worming afterwards if it is going to be sharing a communal garden. :thumbsup:

I don't use flea control during the winter months, but I do use Frontline spot on (they do a puppy version) a couple of times (3 monthly) during the late spring and summer because I also keep sheep so there are ticks around :x

Worming will be very important as will limited contact with other dogs until all vaccinations are complete - hopefully the chihuahua is vaccinated and healthy :thumbsup:

Make sure none of the dogs your pup may have contact with are coughing in any way, indicates possible Bordatella infection (kennel cough)

Good luck with Elsie :luck: :luck: :D - look forward to seeing lots of pics :wub: :thumbsup:

I use Frontline on my dogs from being puppies around six months old.

Its the only one Id trust, as I have cats who regularly bring wild birds and animals in and the dogs catch rabbits too which often have fleas. The odd one or two jump onto them but are soon sorted when the dogs are teated with frontline.

One bite and they are dead.. :lol: the fleas that is....

Fleas usually come in cyles with worms too...so regular worming too.

Hi Red Dragon - welcome to k9

I use flea stuff on Bluebell as she does pick them up from my Tibetan Spaniel who picks them up from rabbit holes...my whippet doesn't go near rabbit holes... :oops:

I use a variety, but frontline seems to make them itch less than some other preperations.

I think regarding leeting her out into the garden, the need for the house training to start from day 1 out strips the small risk of infection.

I carry my unvaccinated puppies around in the big wide world - but don't put them down, because you have no idea what has gone before.

Good luck and can't wait to see the pictures of Elsie - great name :thumbsup:

I also use an garlic -based oil and it works very well as flea repellent and also for mosquitoes.

I add this oil to the food of my dogs and theiy love it. I don't like chemical products and and if I can, I try to avoid to use them

Valeria

Cheers for all your advice - we'll definitely be investing in frontline ASAP just to make sure - the grass in the garden was quite long until we mowed it today so we don't know whats been in there, probably hedgehogs.

Garlic sounds interesting as well I might give it a try - never heard of it being used before with animals.

Can't wait until Saturday morning - pics will follow!

Thanks again :)

I would only use flea product on a puppy if I saw fleas. I check little pups and if I find one or 2 fleas I just squash them, it is only if there is several and i cannot quite manage to get rid of them manually, that I would be thinking of treatment. My adult dogs get treatment with Revolution, Frontline or Advantage if I spot some fleas, usually early summer. I do 2 or 3 treatments through the summer, but once the weather cools down I do not find that i need to treat anymore.

Only 3 more sleeps -_- -_- -_- getting excited??? Hope you'll be posting plenty of pics of the new arrival when you get her settled in.

:cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back