The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ahhhggghh Toothache!!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:cheers: Congratulations!! Well done! :thumbsup:

I had the same problem - opted for extraction in the end after having had the nerve removed and root canal work as well. The tooth then lasted quite a few years but in the end there was nothing left above the gum line so the lot had to come out.

Years later I found out that my current dentist could have rebuilt the tooth and that I wouldn't have had to lose it :( Ah well, live and learn eh??? :D

jinnyfizz said:
:cheers: Congratulations!! Well done! :thumbsup: I had the same problem - opted for extraction in the end after having had the nerve removed and root canal work as well.  The tooth then lasted quite a few years but in the end there was nothing left above the gum line so the lot had to come out.

Years later I found out that my current dentist could have rebuilt the tooth and that I wouldn't have had to lose it :(   Ah well, live and learn eh??? :D

pixieru said:
I had the option of having a root canal or my tooth taken out so on Tuesday i had the  tooth out, its not the nicest thing but apparentley its better to have the tooth out than have a canal filling, but what a relief it was when they took it out, i was in so much pain and nothing would get rid of it!
I'm sure you will be fine, Good luck.

Ok, so i just wanted to ask you guys who have had the tooth out, did it really hurt for ages after :sweating:

Thing is its one thing going when you are in so much pain that you will do anything to stop it BUT when the pain is no longer there & you know you have to have it out :eek: thats different.

Did it bleed & hurt for days afterwards & once it healed if you have a big gap left there is it hard to then eat on that side?

Ive never had a tooth out so dont know what to expect?

Well done you :thumbsup: Ive had plenty of bad experiences with toothache and at the minute have a wisdom tooth thats playing up and keeps getting infected! Ouch! :x

Anyway, as regards to having teeth removed ive never felt the toothache pain afterwards - its just dissapeared straight away but the 'hole' it leaves isnt usaully very pretty for some time afterwards. I suppose it depends on the individual but ones ive had removed have taken a week or so to settle. You usaully get conjealed blood which is pulpy like in the space where the tooth was and abit of a bloody taste in mouth :x and it takes time for this to heal and become like your normal gum again.

Avoid very hot or very cold food/drink and eating on that side of your mouth too. I found rinsing with luke warm salt water speeded up the healing process :thumbsup:

Try not to worry ( easier said than done i know!) it really will be such a relief to get rid of the toothache, The healing process of losing a tooth is nothing compared to the pain of a bad tooth and you will be so thankfull its out!!

Lots of luck :luck: :huggles:

BTW no its not hard to eat on the side where tooth is missing at all once its healed :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
nina said:
Anyone got any fast cures for toothache  :(
Had it since Saturday night & i have gone through a packet of Paracetemol, a packet of Nurofen, a packet of ibuprofen, i'm on my second bottle of foul putrid mouth burning clove oil  :x

I am now started on a packet of 32 Paramol AND just found a bottle of whiskey which is beginning to numb the pain nicely.

I have never honest to god had toothache so bad, i am petrified of dentists & not been for 20??? years  :- "

The pain was so intense i was actually sick, i cant eat or drink cos it starts again.

Are there any stronger painkillers, i am so worn out with the pain  :(

Best known cure for a bad toothache,is to have someone whack you on the big toe,with a claw hammer.Bet you soon forget about the toothache.Best thing is to avoid toothache's altogether.Have them replaced with nice shiney new plastic one's. ...Billy...

I was terified of dentist's all my life,even though i could'nd stand the pain of a toothache.Then one day i hads to take the kid's for treatment,and some extraction's.They never made a sound,and just lay there.Then i thought,you big coward you.Now ive no problem with the dentist.

:) I have had 2 of my wisdom teeth out (the massive ones at the back) I was dreading it - people had told me I would be black and blue etc but they were out in seconds and I never felt a thing and they were enormous!!! :eek: When the anaesthetic wore off I just took a paracetamol tablet because I had a headache with worrying about going in the first place :lol: I just rinsed regularly with salt water after and the hole healed up nicely :thumbsup: My OH reckons that my wisdom teeth were faulty anyway cos Im a bit thick!(cheeky beggar) :- "

nina said:
jinnyfizz said:
:cheers: Congratulations!! Well done! :thumbsup: I had the same problem - opted for extraction in the end after having had the nerve removed and root canal work as well.  The tooth then lasted quite a few years but in the end there was nothing left above the gum line so the lot had to come out.

Years later I found out that my current dentist could have rebuilt the tooth and that I wouldn't have had to lose it :(   Ah well, live and learn eh??? :D

pixieru said:
I had the option of having a root canal or my tooth taken out so on Tuesday i had the  tooth out, its not the nicest thing but apparentley its better to have the tooth out than have a canal filling, but what a relief it was when they took it out, i was in so much pain and nothing would get rid of it!
I'm sure you will be fine, Good luck.

Ok, so i just wanted to ask you guys who have had the tooth out, did it really hurt for ages after :sweating:

Thing is its one thing going when you are in so much pain that you will do anything to stop it BUT when the pain is no longer there & you know you have to have it out :eek: thats different.

Did it bleed & hurt for days afterwards & once it healed if you have a big gap left there is it hard to then eat on that side?

Ive never had a tooth out so dont know what to expect?

I am still in pain a week later but it's because i now have an infection, this is due to smoking so i am old told.

Mine stopped bleeding straight away and no its not hard to eat with a gap.

pixieru said:
I am still in pain a week later but it's because i now have an infection, this is due to smoking so i am old told.
Mine stopped bleeding straight away and no its not hard to eat with a gap.

Hmmmmm, dont know what sounds worse to me the root canal thingy or taking out the tooth out altogether :sweating:

Why do we have to have teeth & go all through horrors like this, why cant we just be born with hard gums that last us all our life & then we wouldn't have all these problems :- "

Personally I don't mind the dentist, but my friend always doses up on valium and I take her. She sort of floats along for a couple of hours LOL.

I have had 5 root canal treatments in the last 2 years and now they found out it is the nerve that is faulty, not the teeth, but that is cos I have MS. Not sure what they can do about it :b As I hate sitting around in hospital waiting halls, I haven't been back to the clinic concerned with face nerves. ('fax max they call it!!)

The root canal treatments weren't too bad. The initial injection was a bit nasty but after that I watched the TV on the ceikling and let the nice man get on with it :blink:

Had 3 visits for each lot of root canal work then another for the post and a final one for the crown. I've got more crowns than the queen now :teehee: The bill hurt most of all -VERY painful!!!!!

I think in your case, removal of the nasty one sound the best option - you soon get over a tooth removal. Instant pain relief, though you might feel bruised for a few days, it is a much easier pain to kill, but you really should get the rest sorted before you get into another crisis situation if you can bear it. Ask the dentist to give you some valium to take before each visit, like my friend gets.

Good luck! :luck: :luck: and well done for being so brave so far.

billyboy45 said:
I was terified of dentist's all my life,even though i could'nd stand the pain of a toothache.Then one day i hads to take the kid's for treatment,and some extraction's.They never made a sound,and just lay there.Then i thought,you big coward you.Now ive no problem with the dentist.
I just grab hold of my dentist's goolies (w00t) and say, you won't hurt me and I won't hurt you :thumbsup: :lol:

milly said:
billyboy45 said:
I just grab hold of my dentist's goolies (w00t) and say, you won't hurt me and I won't hurt you :thumbsup: :lol:

I have a lady dentist that sees to me :blink:

midlanderkeith said:
milly said:
billyboy45 said:

You lucky bugger :D

midlanderkeith said:
milly said:
billyboy45 said:

Yep i saw a woman too, well that was questionable, she looked like a troll, had hands like shovels & boy could she stab that needle in your gum with some force :eek:

Mind you, the place she is referring me to, to have the tooth out, now that could be a fella (w00t) :p

:( sorry to hear you have been in all that pain with your tooth.

I would have the tooth taken out if i was you, R,C,T, takes many visits back to the dentist.

I have just had it done but im always at the bloody dentist. (w00t)

Ive had so much work done in my mouth, im not bothered now & i was a dental nurse many years ago. :thumbsup:

Hope you are all sorted soon.

I also have dentist phobia (god we're all coming out of the woodwork eh!) and have done that weeks of suffering thing rather than go to the dentist, so I'm in total admiration :thumbsup: . Good for you, think I'll have to find myself a dentist who deals with fearties like me and get myself sorted out.

That's great you managed to get through it. Root Canal treatment is lengthy and you do have to go back for a few visits :( I have a few unfortunately. I also had a tooth out 7 years ago. I was always TERRIFIED of getting a tooth out but I was in that much pain and the antibiotics were making no difference. I actually told her to take it out :blink: I was actually surprised at myself! It wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be as I made sure the dentist numbed it that much before she took it out. I was surprised how quickly it did heal and now the gap I have is pretty small as it kind of shrinks. Saying that I would dread getting another out, but probably just my fear of the dentist rather than it actually happening. It is a relief to get rid of the pain of an infected tooth as it makes you feel so sick and ill.

Good luck :luck: :huggles:

I can't believe I have just had to have my tooth out (w00t) As you can see not long gave advice to Nina on the subject :- " I asked him to give me that much anaesthetic my left side of my mouth feels like a rubber mask. I just hope to god it is the right tooth he has taken out, as I thought it was the tooth behind it that the pain was coming from :( He said the tooth he took out needed to come out anyway as it was really bad.

How are things with you now Nina?

kirsty said:
I can't believe I have just had to have my tooth out (w00t) As you can see not long gave advice to Nina on the subject :- "  I asked him to give me that much anaesthetic my left side of my mouth feels like  a rubber mask.  I just hope to god it is the right tooth he has taken out, as I thought it was the tooth behind it that the pain was coming from :(   He said the tooth he took out needed to come out anyway as it was really bad.
How are things with you now Nina?

Gosh, aren't you brave! Cant beleive you have had one out just like that :sweating:

Well done you :thumbsup:

I finally received an appointment to get mine out ..............BUT it clashes with a show ive entered so have had had to cancel it for the time being :- "

Touch wood its as right as rain at the moment :thumbsup:

Good luck Nina just ask for loads of anaesthetic.

It has taken me two weeks of pain and a 7 day course of antibiotic to lead up to it! I think I am his worst patient I was having palpatations :- " I just kept telling myself to be brave and kept thinking of my mum, who passed away just before Christmas and thought of all the horrific pain she had endured with the punctured lung she had to get inflated and everything else she went through and never once complained. I just kept saying if she went through that surely I can be brave enough to get a tooth pulled.

He said you might hear some cracking but there'll be no pain. The only thing I felt was the three injections before it. I could not believe how quickly it came out. I kept saying are you sure , are you sure it's out. I think the dental nurse thought I was a very sad case.lol

I hope you're feeling better once you have been and seen the dentist

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back