The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any ideas what could be wrong with my dog

Poor Monty is still with me, his cough is slowly getting worse and walkies a bit shorter but he is still
basically a happy boy.Was up for hours the other night wondering if it was time to give him some peace
when he seemed to be struggling breathing, in end he settled down an greeted me with a waggy tail next morning.
I am finding his final diagnosis a bit of a puzzle,supposedly a big chest mass which has a 90% chance of being
cancer.I have had 2 other dogs who had cancer and know what to expect but with Monty I dont many of the
symptoms connected with it.Apart from the horrible coughing and weight loss which has stabilised,he is
fine in himself, eating well,bright eyed and plays with his toys.Has never been sick , had any toilet problems or
any swollen glands since he his problem started.His blood test 2 weeks ago was normal apart from a slightly
lower calcium level.
Chatting to my sister earlier, I made an off hand remark that the mass could be a load of heartworms, got
me thinking later and I came across an xray which although i have no vet knowledge, looked really close to
Montys , with a bad heartworm infestation making the heart very large.
As far as I know, he hasnt been tested for heartworm and his symptoms do match those of heartworm,weight loss
and coughing ,lack of energy and fluid in the lungs.Not trying to give myself false hope but wondering if it may worth getting him tested for it,I had vowed not to put through any more vet visits as he gets so stressed.
May have a chat with the vet next week,bearing in mind he has been misdiagnosed twice.

I've just had a google, and it does seem that heartworm can be mistaken for cancer in dogs, so it wold definitely be worth speaking to your vet, probably sooner rather than later. Though also, apparently, the treatment for heartworm isn't easy for the dog, particularly a vet phobic one :-(

Bear in mind that this is based on 5 minutes googling, not on any veterinary knowledge...

Thanks for looking, I have been spending far too much time googling but was so suprized when I saw the heartworm
xray, it really got me thinking.I didnt realize heartworm could be mistaken for cancer though.
I did read that the treatment would be tough and that if it did turn out to be heartworms, it would need treating
urgently.Think I need to find out if he was tested for for it asap.

Going through the same symptoms here with Lily, vet suggested a scan of the heart but at nearly 13 and a half we still can’t decide if we should go ahead, with how her breathing is she couldn’t cope with sedation if she wouldn’t lie still for the scan, it’s a difficult situation as she also has sight and hearing issues that make her very anxious . The vet said she has fluid in her lungs and tummy , also a heart murmur, bless her. Like your boy ,she has her moments, took her to the beach yesterday where she played with another dog and you wouldn’t think she had so many issues :( but afterwards she was exhausted and the coughing started and last night she was struggling, I feel for you so much as it’s difficult to know what to do for the best. Never thought about heartworms being a possible cause but would a scan not have picked up on it or is it something that would need investigating further?

Actually, having had a further google, apparently we don't have heartworm in the UK, apart from in dogs that have travelled to the Mediterranean. Which doesn't mean it's not worth asking your vet about it, or whether there could be other conditions that mimic the results.

Really sorry your baby is struggling i dont think heartworm shows up on a scan or xray,only the effects of it.
it can only be confirmed with a blood test,Monty is struggling this morning, hes always worse after lying
down all night,a short walk seems to help.
Going to see a very knowledgable woman today who might be a able to tell me if it could be worth
getting him tested.The test itself just requires a small amount of blood (easier said than done),and shouldnt cost much.
Monty would have to be sedated and it will still be a struggle,but if there is any chance it could be heartworm,I will get it done.Fraid if it turns out negative, no one could do anything for him now, and i think he has very little time left.
Sedation is very safe nowdays, the vet would advise you about it.Please bear in mind, I have no vet knowledge.

Maybe wrong but I thought i read that there has been a spike of it in the midlands,as its caused by mosquitos
I cant see why it isnt in the uk, we have plenty of those.I will check later

Correction, as you say heartworm is not endemic in the uk, only cases are from dogs coming in from abroad.
Seems my glimmer of hope is unfounded and not much point in going any further with it.

Lost my beautiful boy this morning, he had been going down rapidly over the last few days,not eating and struggling
to breathe,held on hoping the meds might help him but this morning he more or less told me it was time,
I had to be strong and end his sufferring.Was put to sleep at the vets, was hoping it could have been at home
but it would have meant hours more sufferring for him and me losing the resolve to do what I needed to for
him.He went very quick with me hugging him.Lost my best pal but I am relieved he hasnt any more pain
Thanks for all the help and comments

Lost my beautiful boy this morning, he had been going down rapidly over the last few days,not eating and struggling
to breathe,held on hoping the meds might help him but this morning he more or less told me it was time,
I had to be strong and end his sufferring.Was put to sleep at the vets, was hoping it could have been at home
but it would have meant hours more sufferring for him and me losing the resolve to do what I needed to for
him.He went very quick with me hugging him.Lost my best pal but I am relieved he hasnt any more pain
Thanks for all the help and comments

You have done the right thing for him. If he told you it was time, he knew. I'm sending you lots of love and support. Just because you have said goodnight to Monty and he has crossed the rainbow bridge. It does not stop there, We will all continue to support you through. I know its hard, but think of all the lovely memories you had together, all the things he loved. But most off all, He went with you beside him! holding him :):emoji_blue_heart:

One thing that was hard is that they insisted on doing an ultrasound on him first which was a total waste
of time and money, as it just confirmed what I could have told them, that he had heart failure and his outlook
was bleak.Meant more stress for him and having to wait 45 mins before he was finally put to sleep.

I am so very sorry. You have given him the very best life possible, and did what was right for him when his time came.

So sorry, Montysdad. You did the right thing, prioritising Monty’s needs. There’s a vacuum you’re going through but Monty’s no longer in any discomfort and if there’s a doggy heaven Monty will say, “Thank you, Dad”. Take comfort in that he’s no longer suffering. Live long and prostate.

I'm so sorry. I don't know if it would be of interest but the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service. Pet bereavement and pet loss

And later, when you have taken some time, if it would help you to share stories and photos, I'm sure we would love to see them.

It's an awful time for you, but take heart that you have done your very best for your dog, and as others have said, you were there for him not just all his life, but to make the best and hardest decision.

Some pics from better days
IMG_20141023_114215.jpg
IMG_20141023_114215.jpg
IMG_20141012_110325.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back