The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Arthur's Story

Hilary & Hounds

Addicted to Hounds
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Arthur's death was sudden and devestating, but it would appear that some people (nobody from K9) have taken it upon themselves to start a witchunt against me. Click here for details. I have therefore written Arthur's story, not as a defence but an explanation.

This is his full story, to the best of my knowledge.

Arthur was born on 4th October 2003 and there is some suspicion that he was taken from his mother at too young an age.

His first home treated him so badly that he was removed at 5 months of age on a cruelty charge. He had been beaten and forced to fight other dogs. He ended up in a rescue in Manchester.

Soon after he was adopted by his dads, Tony and Rik. They had not been prepared for what they took on, and did their very best with what was an extremely damaged young dog. Arthur's separation anxiety was such that at one time, on returning home, they discovered the kitchen splattered with blood as Arthur had scraped at the door and floor to the point of rubbing his claws down to the quick. He had not been left long.

This is just one of the issues that I am aware of that they tried to deal with. There are others things that I don't know about. I only know for sure what happened a few months later.

Despite seeking advice and doing their utmost for him, Rik and Tony were floundering with Arthur and his issues. Tony works from home, and he especially felt trapped by Arthur's separation anxiety. Arthur was destructive in the home, and had moments of aggression towards other dogs when outside.

They came to breaking point and with broken hearts decided that it would be best for all if Arthur was rehomed. They approached EGLR, who advertised him on their website, but who unfortunately did not have any foster places for him.

Aware of the situation through a mutual friend, I reluctantly offered to foster him until EGLR had a place. This was a private arrangement, although I did let EGLR know about it. I met his dads at a half way place and brought Arthur home.

Not long after Arthur arrived, I knew he was going to stay. His dads were thrilled, so I sent another email to EGLR to say that Arthur was staying. Even then I did not feel it was fair for this particular dog to be moved on again, as he was so sensitive and highly intelligent.

At first timid, scared witless and definitely hand shy, Arthur soon decided he liked it here and blossomed into a friendly confident young man. After some work, and with the other dogs for company, we were able to put his separation anxiety behind him. At this point his fear and food aggression became very apparent. With more careful handling and some environment changes, we were able to almost remove his food aggression, but he still remained unpredictable with dogs both inside and outside the house.

As Arthur's confidence grew, his bullying and unpredictability increased. In the house he made Oliver's life miserable, constantly beating him up and leaving puncture wounds on him. I am deeply ashamed that I let this continue for as long as it did! He would pick on the others as well, but Oliver bore the brunt of it.

Outside the house, he went from very aggressive to other dogs to really wanting to kill them. The last straw was when I was away and all the dogs were in my parents' care. They, well aware of his issues and how to handle them, took him out with some of the others. He was muzzled. They were all off lead, and Arthur saw a small terrier dog. Before he could be called back or caught, he attacked this little dog and would have killed it if he had not been wearing his muzzle. The other dogs behaved as a pack and joined in, with the barking at least. Fortunately, the little dog was unharmed, but Arthur had nearly got his muzzle off before my Dad got to him.

This incident upset my parents' greatly and they said they would be reluctant to care for him again. Added to this, his attacks on Oliver were increasing, and poor Oliver was terrified.

Arthur was also unpredictable with children, actually mouthing one 2 year old leaving bruises on his face, and snapping freely at another child. This was on separate occasions, months apart.

I was left with an awful decision to make. I couldn't keep my special boy because he was terrorising Oliver and the others, and this was escalating. He couldn't go to a home where there were children, dogs, or small furries, but without canine companionship he suffered terrible separation anxiety. He couldn't go to kennels and share with another dog, and I couldn't bear the thought of him spending the rest of his life in kennels on his own. He was only 21 months old.

Wherever he went, there was always the risk that he would somehow manage to get at another dog. Accidents do happen. Rightly or wrongly, I did not think it would help his already damaged psyche to be moved again. Neither did I feel it fair to pass an un-rehomeable dog to a rescue, only for them to have to struggle to find the funds to support him for the rest of his life.

Ultimately he was my responsibility and I loved him greatly. I didn't feel that I was left with much choice, but I resolved to be with him until the end.

Dad and I took Arthur to the vet on 27th July 2005. I explained the situation to my vet, who did not take the situation lightly. Arthur fell asleep with his head on my shoulder, never knowing what was happening to him but taking comfort from my presence. I was devestated, as were my parents.

A week later I summoned the courage to tell Tony and Rik and, although gutted, they have been very supportive, as they have been throughout.

This has been a very private grief, shared only with his dads, my parents, and 1 or 2 close friends. I am sharing this with you now as there are so many lies and much misinformation being freely spread.

The positive news from this is that Oliver is now a different dog: happy, confident and carefree. I have noticed significant changes in Albie, Freddie and Claire, and my parents' springer, Cassie. There is no more tension between them and their characters are blossoming once again. Arthur is in a place where he cannot be hurt anymore. I know in my heart that I did the right thing for Arthur, for me and for my family.

I have had to suspend registration on The Zingy Zone for now, but if anyone wants to sign up to respond to anything, then just let me know.

I'm deeply sorry that you've been unable to get the support you have needed at this sad time, Hilary.

My personal feeling is that euthanasia is a more desirable destination for a damaged dog than any period of time in an unsuitable environment. Repeated insults to a dog's fragile trust primes the dog's aggressive defence mechanisms. It is a painless and peaceful end to a troubled life, when the alternative is insecurity, uncertainty and upheaval. For an animal with such grave behavioural problems, having a guardian who can make this decision for them is a final blessing.

Now you can both rest, you knowing he can never hurt anyone and him knowing he was loved.

I have read this with tears in my eyes. How sad that this dog had such a terrible start to life. How lucky he was that he came to you, who tried so hard to help him and gave him every chance. You have to consider the other canine members of your family as well as the human ones and make tough decisions sometimes. YOU know you did the right thing, the close members of your family know this too. Thats what matters.

I cannot understand how anyone could see you had any other alternative, as if losing your boy wasn't hard enough for you,you did a fantastic job, my thoughts and support are with you Hilary as I am sure most of the members on K9 are I hope this gives you a little comfort :huggles: :huggles:

Hilary, I was so sad to read this and do have some idea of what you went through, and are still going through with poor Arthur. :( :(

I had a wonderful rescue dog many years ago who was the best dog ever with me and with his few special friends, but sadly unpredictable with anyone he didn't know or trust. When he bit my boss's au pair I had no choice but to have him put to sleep. I know to this day that it was the right decision, but I faced some criticism from some others for not rehoming him again, but I knew he was my responsiblity and I couldn't bear the thought of him ending up in the wrong home and bad things happening to him. He also was only 20 months old, young, fit and beautiful, and I felt like a murderer. I was so distraught, I didn't have another dog for seven years. :( :(

Thank you for sharing this with us, Hilary, although I didn't have any doubt that there was a very clear reason for Arthur's having to be PTS.- your love for all your animals comes over in everything you say and do for them - and most people would never have even considered taking Arthur on with all his problems - you did, and you gave him some very happy times - well done you, Hilary. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilary I feel so sorry for you. Please take my best wishes and remember that you made a personal decision on issues that occurred through no fault of your won. You did try, but poor Arthur was too scarred.

May Arthur rest in peace and you be at peace that you did the right thing.

:huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

A very hard thing for you to do Hillary - share this very private experience with others. I know you have done your utmost best for Arthur during his short life as well as at the end. :huggles:

Please dont feel any guilt - I personally feel you have done everything you could have for the lovely Arthur. :wub: despite what others have had to say. :angry:

Run Free Arthur

Last edited by a moderator:
You made the right decision for Arthur and should feel no guilt Hilary. You obviously did your utmost to help him overcome his problems, and you gave him a loving, caring home. To have tried to rehome him would have been unfair to Arthur and to those people/dogs that he may have attacked in the future. It is very sad that you have had to explain your actions in this way and at such a difficult time for you and your family. :( :(

RIP Arthur. :wub:

The correct decsion taken with common sense and compassion

I was very fond of Arthur as he reminded me a lot of Leia, and it was upsetting to learn that he had died, I didnt stop thinking of it for days. It's even more upsetting to know what the poor soul went through in his short life.

How devastating that a dog is so traumatised by his early experiences that even the confidence and security that a stable home provides was not enough. Trust is a very fragile thing.

I have no doubt Hilary that he will be sorely missed by many, and his story not forgotten.

Arthur :wub:

For those of you who have been so evil as to start a witch hunt on Hilary,i dare you to come & have a go at me as i was the person who helped Hilary to come to this decision.

You are a bunch of sad b*****ds who should mind your own bloody business!!! :rant:

It is not easy to have to make such a sad decision to end a dogs life,but sometimes it is a very necessary thing to do.

I agree with everything that ILKC has said,& i think it is far kinder in certain situations to have a dog peacefully put to sleep than to let it carry on suffering mentally.

alfyn said:
It is not easy to have to make such a sad decision to end a dogs life,but sometimes it is a very necessary thing to do.I agree with everything that ILKC has said,& i think it is far kinder in certain situations to have a dog peacefully put to sleep than to let it carry on suffering mentally.

I agree totally

anslinmcg said:
alfyn said:
It is not easy to have to make such a sad decision to end a dogs life,but sometimes it is a very necessary thing to do.I agree with everything that ILKC has said,& i think it is far kinder in certain situations to have a dog peacefully put to sleep than to let it carry on suffering mentally.

I agree totally

ME TO so sorry hilary it must be a hard time for you but you did the right thing :huggles: to you

Arthur was a beautiful dog. Such a shame he had problems through no fault of his own. I am glad you have shared this with us Hilary, it must have been an awful decision to have to make. RIP Arthur

lawleymoon said:
anslinmcg said:
alfyn said:

I agree totally

ME TO so sorry hilary it must be a hard time for you but you did the right thing :huggles: to you

I agree to Hilary. You did the right thing. I had to do the same many years ago, a dog that I bred, I know it hurts so badly but its still the kindest thing we can do.

I wish I could find the words to thank you all for your support. :huggles: It has not been an easy time. Thank you.

Dear Hilary,

I read your post very early this morning and then had to go into work. All morning I've been trying to think of words to help you with your hurt. All I can think to say is that if I ever needed help you would be one of the people I would turn to, I can't bear to think that people have been so cruel towards you.

RIP Arthur

Love Jenny

I was the same Millie, a dobe that I bred turned out to be totally lethal outside the house, with man or beast. He was checked inside out by the vet, and nothing physically wrong with him...we had him pts as the only option. Dont let spiteful people get to you Hilary, you know what you did was the only thing you could do, and the best for him and your other dogs. Hope you dont mind a new member joining in!

It just doesn't bare thinking about this awful decision that you have had to make, obviously it wasn't an easy one for you or your family to make, Arthur was a very troubled dog and seems to have gone through so much upset in such a short life it just wouldn't have been fair to pass him on again. Hope he's now at peace.

RIP Arthur :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back