Asking to go outside for the toilet

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At what point does a puppy ask to go outside to the toilet instead of doing it inside?

What makes them realise that going inside isn't accepted?

Dennis is 10 now and I have never experienced him having an accident in the house since training. I think he would be horrified if it ever happened (would only be through illness if he did)

I actually think the best way of toilet training is to not put the puppy in a position of needing to ask, if possible have the puppy outside before he needs to ask. And it's something we still do - out first thing for toilet, morning walk, afternoon walk, 7pm toilet, 9.45pm toilet. I actually don't remember T ever asking as a puppy but he has woken me up at night once or twice when he has had a tummy upset.

Last edited:
Yes you're right - it's us as owners that usually dictate when they go. I heard my neighbour laughing at me the other day as I was telling Den to go 'wee wee's' in the garden! I make him go before his breakfast but if I'm not checking he fakes it because he's desperate for his food!

I don't think you teach them that going inside isn't acceptable. You just reinforce that going outside is AWESOME. Though there were times I carted him out PDQ if he showed signs of being about to go (not telling him off of course, but he might have twigged that I didn't want him to go THERE).

He did start asking to go outside quite early (can't remember at what age, it's all a haze) just from doing this, but they are all very different.

Luckily for us, Jimbo came to us fully house trained. Never had an accident at home (he was sick once though, not that long ago), and he did pee on a chair when I took him to work once, but other than that, all good (crosses fingers and hopes he hasn't jinxed it).

Even at 8 months the closest Harri gets to "asking" is to wander vaguely in the direction of the back door. I've bought him a doggy door bell to try and get him to give me an audible signal but he hasn't (or won't!) get the idea

Even at 8 months the closest Harri gets to "asking" is to wander vaguely in the direction of the back door. I've bought him a doggy door bell to try and get him to give me an audible signal but he hasn't (or won't!) get the idea

I might have mentioned this before - apologies if so - but when Jasper got to that stage I'd hold the door handle as if I was going to let him out, and then wait... After a bit he'd whine, at which point I'd say 'Good boy!' and open the door to let him out. Before long he'd whine deliberately, then I'd 'ask' for louder whines until one day they turned into a bark, which got 'YES!!!!'

Obviously, if you try this with Harri and when you don't open the door he just wanders off and wees somewhere else, he might not be quite ready ;)

I might have mentioned this before - apologies if so - but when Jasper got to that stage I'd hold the door handle as if I was going to let him out, and then wait... After a bit he'd whine, at which point I'd say 'Good boy!' and open the door to let him out. Before long he'd whine deliberately, then I'd 'ask' for louder whines until one day they turned into a bark, which got 'YES!!!!'

Obviously, if you try this with Harri and when you don't open the door he just wanders off and wees somewhere else, he might not be quite ready ;)

I'll give it a go! I have a very odd shaped house and it's a long way to the back door... I need him to bark or whine or ring the bell!

Folly simply finds me, stands looking at me then looking in the direction of the back door. So I suppose you could say she has trained me well.
Yes, that's what mine do. If you see them heading for the door it's always best to let them out, just in case.

Kay would be mortified if she messed in the house and has only gone inside if I haven't let her out in time. I think her last accident was at about 5 months old. I never remember having problems housetraining puppies, even the litters we had would make a mad dash for outside once they realised that's where all the big dogs go. I think the adults definitely influenced their behaviour.

Kay will normally bring me something (a shoe, a pillow) if she's hungry and if she wants to go out she'll put her paw on me and stare. She does that if she just wants a walk as well, so can't really say that's signalling to go to the toilet!

Giz is 8 months and was late at starting the toilet training game. He still doesn't 'ask' to go out but he's holding his toilet longer now he's older and we get more warning when he needs to go. He'll start sniffing and pacing whereas before he would literally just go with no warning. Sometimes if the back door is open he'll run outside of his own accord and go which is great... Very hit and miss still though.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back