The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

B W R A  AGM

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well when I started this thread I hoped for a bit of information about the A.G.M but it has not worked out this way and as usual I have heard most of the news via the phone.  It would have been nice to hear and debate news on this forum but it is not to be.  Some of the news that I have heard (if true) is to the detrament of my region and I will be seeking to confirm this at the forthcoming regional A.G.M.  I have strong views on these rumours and if they are true I will voice my opinion through WN and maybee here.  Just for the record although the subject has strayed I dont mind as it has been intereseting reading.

I understand what you are saying about info, and it's a shame that none of us has any more info to share but as you can see we are only a small non ped population on k9, and I AM SURE that their must be some "top table" people from the bwra/fed out there, who have internet access, whom either don't want to contribute/can't be bothered or are just not interested in this site, luckily our non ped population is growing so maybe we can have a lively debating/gossip thread..

It is a shame that no one from the BWRA or NWRF have registered as they were looking into setting up a web site but decided that it would cost too much.  This site would be ideal for them to post new ideas etc.  Maybe they don't like info leaking outside of whippet news (i doubt it though) or like michelle says perhaps they just can't be bothered!!

John

Sorry the thread has strayed off the original thread but we don`t know anything.More people read this than contribute so if you wish to share information don`t think it`s wasted.As you can tell we share all our info - over to you !If you don`t wish to put your name to any gossip then e-mail us and we`ll put it on under our names.

Tony

(Edited by michelle at 12:55 am on Dec. 29, 2001)

Hi All

I just typed a huge long message here - went for a smilie and it had disappeared when I got back!!

I was saying we have a similar problem with the WCRA in pedigree racing.  Many of them have internet access and have visited the board, but none feel able to give any input.  The racing season finished in September, and still the results of the Superstars leagues have not been published.  Stranger still, they were not in the December issue of the Whippet Clubs magazine "The Whippet".  It is normally full of show stuff, but is supposed to include racing.  I understand the editor can only publish information if it is received, but as the WCRA is a sub-section of the Whippet Club, they should be brought to book.  We enquired about a website, and were told the Whippet Club have their own, and it would be updated with racing results, sadly this has not happened.  It would be so easy for results and league tables to be posted on this site.  Myself and others are wondering why we even bother to join the Whippet Club, as the voices of racing people are not listened to or supported at all.  In the end it boils down to voting rights.

Anyway I'm sure like us you all enjoy your racing, and just say b***ocks to 'em
laugh.gif

What is aggrevating with both the BWRA & NWRF is that information that should be kept quiet is leaked out  by members of the committee to their  friends and it spreads like mad.

There was a case a year or so ago that a dog had been banned because it had tested positive in a drugs test and the owners found out through the grape vine instead of in writing.  I think this was terrible but nothing was ever said about it or the person who had leaked it given a warning.

June does anything like this go on in WCRA, it seems that non-ped whippet racers only get to find out whats going on if you are in the committees 'little click' of friends.

-----

Vicky

I hear via the phone that my region took some stick at the A.G.M.  What I mean by this is that when they were talking about next years top ten opens apperntly we are not getting any additional top ten opens because we don't support the ones down south.  Yes you don't get lots of us at opens but then again as the membership records will show there are not lots of us members, remember we are a small nation there are six times the people in London alone than there are here.  Also the A.G.M is to move around the country each year with the exception or here and once again the reason given is that we do not support opens.  The above is not fair as we are all members and all members should be treated the same regardless of who does and who does not attend opens.  All regions should have their turn of hosting the A.G.M on a rotational basis or even better why not hold it on championship weekend.  This would lead to a greater attendence and with the trophys to be presented after the racing now we could hold the A.G.M on the saturday night.  As for not attending opens I have drawn up a chart (below) outling the distance, time and cost of traveling to a few clubs from my home town.

CLUB        DISTANCE         TIME           COST

Carlisle       101.4m          1h 37m       £7.67

Felling         125.2m          2h 22m       £9.75

Lancaster    168.1            2h 32m       £12.58

Old Hall       310.1            4h 46m        £23.78

Seaham       141.2            2h 41m       £10.99

Devon          439.5           6h 24m        £33.72

Kinsley         239.3            3h 59m       £18.19

Rutland Arms 296.8          5h 2m         £22.51

Although this list is not exaustive I have at sometime visited all these places over the years along with people from my region some of which have to travel further than me. Compare that to the list below traveling from some areas to Old Hall.

CLUBS                               DISTANCE     TIME     COST  

Rutland Arms to Old Hall   47.7m           1h6m    £3.84

Seaham to Old Hall           176.5m         2h59m  £13.74

Carlisle to Old Hall            206.1m         3h14m  £15.98

Devon to Old Hall             177.6m          2h38m  £13.50

And when the feds started to run the straight championships at Seaham after a considerable time at Old Hall people in the south complained about the distance.  Well look at the chart below and look at the comparison between the distance between one of our members home town and say someone in Devon.  

CLUB                        DISTANCE           TIME           COST

Arbroath to Old Hall 360.1m               5h52m        £27.83

Devon to Seaham    341.6m               5h21m        £26.21

The above charts were calculated with a route planner at todays fuel costs £0.68 per litre 32mpg urban 42mpg motorway not towing anything one way.  Maximum speed 70mph motorway, 70mph dual carrageway, 55mph single lane carrageway, 30mph town.

The point of this.

1. We have travelled these distances for years.

2. Why should our region be punished for having a small membership.

3. What is a local day out and what is a open that you would travel to to at least try and win your weight class.

4. Any organization should be run by the members for all members.

(Edited by John at 11:49 am on Dec. 30, 2001)

John

It seems a case of the BWRA executive doing as it pleases because I don`t recall any of the above being put to the membership to vote.

I agree that all members should have equal rights - we all pay the same fees.

Personaly I doubt if it`s a coincidence that the majority of BWRA opens are held on the doorstep of BWRA officials.

I agree that the AGM should be held after straight champs or other open.

We operate a 2hr traveling policy which means Carlisle and seaham in the north and Rutland Arms in the south (and Blidworth inthe east is 2hrs) is as far as we go.

PS when you say additional top ten opens do you mean additional BWRA opens or additional top ten opens ?

What are the BWRA rules for allocating opens to regions ?

Tony

John correct me if i'm wrong but i was always under the impression  that every region had to stage at least 1 straight open & 1 bend open per year to keep affiliated, if this is the case it seems that the BWRA are making the rules up as they go along!!

-----

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 8:24 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

Vicky

If each region has to stage a bend and straight open I think our region (north west) will lose it`s affiliated status.

BTW John the NW is notoriously poorly attended by other regions so I do sympathise.

I know that in recent years we always had the Carlisle & Lancaster straight opens and the North West bend open which we still had up until last year to count on.

-----

Vicky

Vicky

the bend open we had earlier this year was apparently our 2000 bend open - we have not had a 2001 bend open yet - fancy organizing one - or better still get Michelle to organize one as she is the BWRA big cheese

Tony

I wouldn't mind helping organise one, i suppose we could even have a bend open under Gin Pit's name at Kinsley as long as we got top ten points it wouldn't have to be BWRA.

Vicky

We should have it at Westhoughton - no one would turn up and we could score some top ten points.:cheesy:

Tony

(MIchelle is ironing !!)

Good idea - we'll bring all the cripples out of retirement to make a name for themselves. It would be a good idea to have a joint one with the peds at Northern????

I hear on the grape vine Gin Pit is struggling for money at the minute!!

ps You must be drunk if you have seen Michelle ironing, oooooh i can see a telling off coming my way!!!!

I don`t think that the pedi`s run bends as we know them - more like the bends at Preston wrc . In fact I think that the pwrc does not allow races over 200 yrds but I could be wrong.I have disscussed this with Terry re: Elsmere port when it was open .Perhaps we could run with the afghan hounds at Winsford.

Tony

Yeh i also heard that, maybe Mark might reply.

Keith was telling me that Westhoughton has finally been sold, so you never know they might not charge as much for hiring the track out as before.

-----

Vicky

I wonder who bought it?, maybe the next owner will look after it abit better than the present one!

(I've had to sit and have a stiff drink after all my Ironing!!back to work tomorrow!!!)

Hi Vicky

Sorry it took me so long to reply about our last little moans!  We've been away for a few days. Yes, the WCRA are much the same when it comes to information.  We do hear snippets of things we're not meant to hear, but it's probably just as well or we wouldn't know anything at all.  I expect you heard about the DNA fiasco a couple of years ago, all sorts of stories went around, and all because no one cared to publish the facts.  We have a new Secretary at the WCRA, he is a respected member of the racing people, so hopefully things might improve over the coming season.  I do feel for the people who heard from others before being informed about a drug test by the committee, that must have been very upsetting.

It seems all in all that you mostly have the same problems as we do, do you have committee members who don't race whippets?  This is something that happens with the WCRA, and really I don't see how they can have the same input as someone who knows what is happening in the sport.

Anyway, happy New Year to you and all whippety people!

Hi Vicky & Michelle

In Ped racing we do run bends, the normal size of a bend would be 240yds two straights about 50yds each with a half circle. for a short time the peds did run at Westhoughton (Tuesday nights I think it was, it was the same night as non peds) but not many peds came, not realy sure why they never gave reasons I know one or two got sand burns but most never said why they never came just that they didn't fancy it.

When Terry was talking about a joint venture(at Ellsmere) I asked around but got very little interest from anyone but that was a year or two back now.

Most ped clubs run two opens a year one on a straight usually between 150-200yds and the other round a bend 240yds (some clubs have a perminant bend set up).

has Westhoughton definatly been sold, I was talking to a bloke a few weeks ago who drinks with Arther and they said he's taken it off the market as it was doing realy well for dogs with Ellsmeres and St Helens closing?

if it's true that it has been sold lets hope its a dog man and not a supermarket thats bought it.

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE FOR THIS YEAR

(Edited by Mark Roberts at 10:22 am on Jan. 2, 2002)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back