The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Basenji

funnyairbnb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Me and my girlfriend want to get a basenji he as a dog suits our preferences on outside but, i want to know will he be good with our current lifestyle. We are students we arent at home all te the but he wont be alone very much but will be few hours almost every day. We live in apartment, that could change if we get him we would look for some home with garden but for now he would stay in apartment. We love to walk and animals in general so from that side he would be good. I just wonder what would that be for him someones says that they can be destructive some something other. Can someone help me in general should we take him or look something other (that wouldnt be a great option cuz we are opssesed with basenjis)

I've no experience of basenjis, but reading online, you may have difficulty in keeping them sufficiently exercised and stimulated. Many people say that they simply can't be let off lead in open spaces, but also that they do need to have off-leash opportunities to run and play. If there are any enclosed areas nearby that you can use, that might work, as might LOTS of play/mental stimulation in the house and long walks on a long line. They are probably only destructive if they're bored, underexercised, or stressed from being left for too long (we can give you advice on how to accustom your dog to be left on their own).

Would you be thinking of getting a puppy or an older dog? They are relatively uncommon amd you would want to make sure that your dog came from somewhere reputable, with full health checks and so on.

It might be better to wait until you can move to a house with a garden.

I love animals so much and i would do anything to make him unhappy also like that to hold him in the house if he needa big yard to play but i saw that people say that basenjis are good apartman dogs thats why i started to look for that breed and fell in love. And also with that i would like to get a puppy and learn him everything that he needs to know from young age. I am not experienced but willing to try my hardest i know that they could be a big chellenge but for him i am willing to try whatever it takes. Alternative for him is also one hard to deal with dog... dont ask maybe thats my type ... lol its shiba inu but he isnt matching prefenerces cuz of overload shedding a lot of hair is no

PS. Sry for bad english and a lot of info i couldnt find all by myself what i want to know

There's no need to apologise for your English - as long as we can understand you, that's all that matters! I found a thread on Reddit about keeping basenjis in apartments, which you might find interesting: The general view is that they can certainly be challenging, particularly as puppies, but it can (usually) be made to work. There can never be no guarantees, though - sometimes dogs just can't adapt to your lifestyle, but this can happen whatever the breed.

I appreciate that this may sound harsh and, believe me, I’m not being judgemental. With the welfare for the dog as a priority, wouldn’t it be prudent to shelve any ideas for dog ownership before you’re sufficiently settled? Just a thought.

Absolutly correct 100% and that was first plan but now we are first time in our apartment and i think with a lot oh will and hardwork with puppy we can give him nice home, love and everything else that he needs ... i cannot wait any longer ... hahahaha

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back