The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Big Dogs

tony warren

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i understand that the reps meeting will be bringing up about big dogs in my own view i cant see the problem with them we keep hearing about clubs saying they have not got enough members or the clubs are not getting enough money coming in to pay for tracks and out goings well the way i see it a big dogs entry fee and membership is the same as a 16lb dogs and its money for the club then there is the point of a line has to be started somewhere and im only saying this as i like seeing all size,s run ive not even got big dogs so what are your views on this as i would like to know.i thought we as clubs are trying to get new membership in not turning it away.

Maybe they should try and introduce a separate class for anything bred more than half greyhound, it seems that it has been stated my some racers that they dont mind the SIZE of a dog so much as they WAY it is bred.

Folk can breed them as big as they like but when the time comes that they cease to fit into WHIPPET TRAPS is the time they cease to be recognised as 'whippets'

I can't see clubs affording to offer bigger traps on request.

Quote-'A League Of Gentlemen'-If you can't make the stairs-you don't come in!

Who can argue with that philosophy? lol

Karen Boyd

i see what you are saying but thease dogs can be the bread and butter for some clubs and a lot of them will fit in whippet traps but some people like to have big dogs and some like them small well what i would like to see are the bigguns on club tracks and at the end of the day history shows this is where our dogs started from, :cheers:

i agree with Karen and Tony also, if they fit in a whippet trap whats the problem ,no limit racing has been going a long time which is good ,i dont see why they keep getting stick, although there are a Lott been bred really big of late but what do you call big in no limit , i thought thats what no limit means as far as been bred big we ourselves bred a litter from Baileys comet to freewheeler , the bitch being 26 and the stud 32 to 35 pound the outcome was a couple of bitches weighing 22 24 pound 35 dog and 2 no limits 48 and a whooping 57 pounder, so where do you draw the line theres a Lott using greyhound stud dogs not too sure about that one ,but theres one thing for sure whippet racing would be at a loss without the big dogs :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
its about time people looked up the meaning of the word no limit.

no limit means no limit.

without the greyhound bloodlines which all of use that go non pedgree whippet racing it would be like watching paint dry.

i keep hearing all the fuss about the big dogs it seems certain some members would like to see them banned.

there is a very simple answer to all this rubbish that certan people keep talking about.

just make another class up for the no limit owners lets not just turn our backs on them.

might sound abit stupid but what does non pedigree whippet racing mean.

:oops:

Yes take a look at the words no limit---- but also look at the word --Whippet-- whilst doing so.Why would you want to run a greyhound with whippets ?Why not run with greyhounds if your dog is as big as one ?We all had big rough haired whippets running up tapes without muzzles in the early sixties then the BWRA was formed we at Lancaster club joined along with many other clubs but we had to get rid of our big dogs as 32lb was the limit and they had to be of a whippet like appearance we then changed to the lure .Whilst i myself like big dogs and think every one has the right to choose we need to go forward not back,We need to try and please all but the size must have some form of limit on it. Without the 36==40==and no limit dogs enteries would be well down and some clubs would fold. Maybe setting up of a new no limit or big dog organisation would be an answer with size starting at 33lb and upwards?

steve

:p can somebody tell me what the problem is with no limits if they can fit in the trap????? I HAVE ONE OF THE BIGGEST NO LIMITS AND HES ONLY 50LB!!!!! this is getting boring now. why do we need to set up a big dog organisation?>?? r u saying for us to set up a big dog organisation and stop going to the normal opens? whoever is going to start this topic up at the meeting i bet HAS NOT GOT A NO LIMIT DOG!!!!! i really cant see the problem its not as if they r ever going to be running against the tiny little dogs r they???

every year the same thing with the scr dogs gets proposed, i say leave it the way it is :D

i just started to come back into WHIPPET racing over the last 2years and recently just got my first pup after being in greyhounds for 15years ,and i love watching the no limit dogs run as much as yr/lb we need all the dogs in this sport we can get. so i think the big dogs should a part of this sport as much as the little ones .

But as we are talking about WHIPPET racing not 99.9greyhound as people seem to be breeding them ,if your taking a 3/4 greyhond bitch to a 100%greyhound stud dog and expect to WHIPPET race this is wrong, i totally agree that if it was not the introduction of the greyhound into this sport for speed and stanima we might as well all be racing snails but when does it seize being whippet racing and become greyhound racing. the next thing you,ll get proposals going into the b.w.r.a and the n.w.r,f for bigger traps to suit these dogs like one of the previouswriters said let the big dogs run so long as they can get into a WHIPPET trap

the only way we could solve the breeding situation of people bringing these large dogs into non-ped whippet racing is to have proof of what these are bred from in the first place, i>e not mother and father unknown or unraced bitch or dog, what else has come from that litter etc......i do believe that some dogs on the circuit are 9/10th greyhounds, but only a small few, they must have some racing whippet in their breeding somewhere down the line, i myself as you know do like the scratch dogs so i am not against the big dogs as i have just bred from a greyhound bitch to a whippet racing dog, hopefully to get another scratch dog

:p well lets hope it dont go bigger than 45lb then ricky. if that limit came in there wud be hardly any no limits racing as the majority r over that!!!!!

im told the cap will be 49lb but.ok going back to the club issue say you have a member with a couple of big dogs thats has 3 or 5 small dogs thats a lot a lot of money to lose at club meets and open,s i say dont be saying over the next couple of years oh the club folded due to not enough dogs turning up or ground rent is to dear think on that one, i know some one with big dogs and i know the breeding program his trying to do lets not kill it before it starts as your bloodlines in our sport is not a bad thing is it. the lbloodine has to start somewhere. :cheers: :ph34r:

:eek: i really can't image why anyone would want to cap no-limit dogs stoping more people from taking part in a sport thats dying, with the banning of hunting with dogs you should all be looking to open the sport up to incorporate all running dogs, not putting more restriction on who your going to let join your sport :b

well said roland the way things are at the moment they will stop us running our dogs next anti hunt protesters saying its cruel on our dogs :cheers:

leave no limit as no limit :angry: those wanting a cap may one day get a throw back in the line :b then they may think again :D ANYWAY THIS ONLY AFECTS NO LIMIT RACERS AND IF PEOPLE WITH BIG DOGS ARE HAPPY AS IT IS WHY TRY TO CHANGE IT :angry: AS CAROLE SAYS BET THEY DONT HAVE BIG DOGS ;)

well said mutley if it ain't broke dont try to fix i think thats how the saying goe's lol :cheers: :- " :- "

:p this is just off the top of my head here r some no limits and their weights approx mind here goes: mickey whizz 50lb, whisper whizz 48lb, come on sue 52lb, come on ernie 53lb, challenger 53lb, buckshot george 53lb, black magic 50lb, banjo 64lb (exception) nice n cool 48lb, shut up 52lb thats all the ones 45lb and over so if say a 45lb limit (stupid if u ask me) is brought in can somebody please tell me WHAT WE R SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE DOGS???? GIVE THEM TO PET HOMES? GET THEM PUT TO SLEEP??? i think not!!!

how wud people like it if we proposed a lower limit of say 18lb??? as there are not that many dogs under 18lb how wud they like it if i said its not worth having that class???

SORRY on my high horse now but its the same old crap year after year about the scratch dogs its not as if we r harming anyone in yds for pounds racing is it?? wot is the problem people have with no limits??

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back