The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Big Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
WELL JOHN I SHUD BE OK THEN AS BOTH EXSISTING DOGS FIT INTO THE TRAPS. HEY WHY DONT THEY PUT AN OPEN ON THE SAME DAY THEN MORE PEOPLE MIGHT TRAVEL! ive yet to see why every year somebody always brings this topic up anyway its ridiculous! they must sit there thinking mmmm proposals oh i know how about the no limit thing AGAIN!!! if it carrys on like this they will lose more members. sorry wont be at the meeting as i said too far IMO EVERYTHING shud go to a postal vote FAIREST WAY!

iang said:
Historically the limit was a height one and this was 21 inches and at that time you had the likes of Blue Peter a very small stud dog and way back then people were taking greyhounds to be mated to him so as to reach or even push the 21 inch limit.then with the BWRA and the National Fed we had weight limits and people still raced the larger dogs so this has been ongoing for years and years.If a larger dog can fit into and race from the standard size club traps I for one did not mind racing my dogs against them and at the time I was racing the North East was well known for big dogs,so I guess if I was racing today I would say that due to the declining number of dogs at club level I would be more than happy to see these dogs racing.All the best in sport  Ian
i ran at peterlee and horden and can remember the 21inch height limit when it was inforced. i had a big dog at the time and he went to 22 1/2 inch and 42 lb in weight. they said it was a greyhound and got barred from horden, but allowed me to run at peterlee as he ran there in the pups. they eventually barred me when he won off minus 3. the reason being they could not pull the traps up the embankment any further than minus 3. the dog name was tindoor, if you ran at this time what was the name of your large dogs 1973 onwards.

rick :cheers:

ricky your showing your age this was a cracking time to be in whippet,s the first big dog i had was a bit later in the seventy,s BLUE MOON but i remember charlie train,s RED BARON ,MIDNIGHT ,DEVONISH BLACK KNIGHT and those great bitches ZOEY and ANGIE.

these where good day,s ricky with the like,s of characters like walter malcom jimmy rook,s and god alan clayton who would,nt accept a result even if his own dog won it . But i really enjoyed the period when the no limits were wish again, blue wish, irish wish, bingo miss, mad era,mooney,irish lad and many more like crazy lady frenchie and so on and so on those where the day,s ricky

:thumbsup: wish id been there but im too young lol :lol:

HRicky how about Winters Pet Chance Moss`s Pride Geordie Best, Gyppo Penny Lane who all resembled "Whippets" but they were great days racing at that time

ricky said:
i would advise people to go to this meeting, as if something gets passed that you do not like and you aren,t there then you can,t complain. ashfordby is a central place for this meeting when you think people come up from as far as portsmouth and travel down as far as up north. we all have to take our dogs, we are all in the same boat.
        Ricky
Ricky where is up north? If you go back there was a discussion on here about distances racers have to travel and if memory serves me correct Newton Aycliffe was about as central as you can get if you still count us members up here in Scotland. Even if I wanted to put in a proposal I would not as I understand it me and whoever seconded me would have to travel to the proposal meeting then I would want to go to the A.G.M for me thats a total distance of approximatly 1320 miles and there are racers who live further north in Scotland than me. Look on the bright side at least I still have my postal vote.

Hello John,

You or any member may put in any amount of proposals as long as you have a seconder. You do not have to travel to the proposal meeting having put a proposal in. It may be better if you gave your reasons for this or any other proposal to your local area rep who could then if need be explain it to the reps and committee who are present at that meeting.

I also understand your predicament with the regards to travel for A.G.M's but this is as broad as it is long, some will be blest as far as whippet racing in the geographic sense of where they live, and others vice-versa. Some time in the past B.W.R.A. agm's were held at Stockton every other year, these were not well attended at all, they were voted on to be moved around the country starting in the South West region. The South West chairman saw this had the making of a low turn out agm and agreed to move this meeting back to the midlands as long as they stayed there each year. This is easy for me to attend but not for all, but the same could be said for anywhere you hold the AGM's.

As i understand that all voting procedures must go to a postal vote and even the voting on or off a committee must also go to a postal vote and not now at the AGM.

So those that do not attend will only miss having their say and not a vote.

:) Thanks for the info John we get told B- all by our reps :oops:

:cheers: thanx for that john m i too thought i cud only put a proposal in if i attended the meetings :wacko: also its good to know everything will go to a postal vote! :)

john m said:
Hello John,               You or any member may put in any amount of proposals as long as you have a seconder. You do not have to travel to the proposal meeting having put a proposal in. It may be better if you gave your reasons for this or any other proposal to your local area rep who could then if need be explain it to the reps and committee who are present at that meeting.

I also understand your predicament with the regards to travel for A.G.M's  but this is as broad as it is long, some will be blest as far as whippet racing in the geographic sense of where they live, and others vice-versa. Some time in the past B.W.R.A. agm's were held at Stockton every other year, these were not well attended at all, they were voted on to be moved around the country starting in the South West region. The South West chairman saw this had the making of a low turn out agm and agreed to move this meeting back to the midlands as long as they stayed there each year. This is easy for me to attend but not for all, but the same could be said for anywhere you hold the AGM's.

As i understand that all voting procedures must go to a postal vote and even the voting on or off a committee must also go to a postal vote and not now at the AGM.

So those that do not attend will only miss having their say and not a vote.
Hi John M,

Thanks for the information I thought that you had to go to the meeting as it says in the October 2004 WN that the reps meeting would be held on 17th October at Asfordby (a reminder that the originator of any proposals and the seconder should also attend this meeting).

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

Unless you are a committee member, an area rep or an area secretary you would not be allowed into the proposal meeting. If you wish that those who do propose anything should be allowed to attend the meeting to put their proposal forward and explain it, then by all means put in a proposal to that effect, bearing in mind that each proposal does get a fair hearing except for those that are blatantly deemed as unworkable. I was told by the secretary of the B.W.R.A. that the article in question should not have been there in the advert for this meeting.

A phone call to Doreen should confirm this.

john m said:
John,        Unless you are a committee member, an area rep or an area secretary you would not be allowed into the proposal meeting. If you wish that those who do propose anything should be allowed to attend the meeting to put their proposal forward and explain it, then by all means put in a proposal to that effect, bearing in mind that each proposal does get a fair hearing except for those that are blatantly deemed as unworkable. I was told by the secretary of the B.W.R.A. that the article in question should not have been there in the advert for this meeting.

A phone call to Doreen should confirm this.
Hi John M,

I always thought that a reps meeting was just that and I would not put a proposal in to change that. That's why I was quite surprised when I saw what was printed in the October 2004 WN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back