The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Big Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
when Doreen says she wants whippet racing back to how it used to be ,how far back does she wasnt to go weve been racing no limits since 1981. whilst were on about Doreen , will she be able to vote at tomorrows meeting.as she has put this proposal forward as no one else who have put proposals in have benn invited. could be seen as an unfair advantage........

Belle Vue Greyhound Stadium held the first oval greyhound race in 1926. Prior to this the main betting dog racing was whippet racing run on straight tracks; Greyhounds were dogs for coursing and were unsuitable for racing on straights as they were stayers, rather like the saluki longdogs of today, and were no match for scratch whippets over the short straight distances.

This whippet racing was both handicap racing and scratch racing and if anyone cares to do any research and look at pictures of these scratch racers of old will see how similar they are to todays scratch racers in type. The type is determined by its function, ie sprint racing. How this type is acheived is irrelevant.

It's worth noting that the track greyhound has moved closer in type to the scratch whippet racers because of the shorter nature of oval bend racing compared to hare courses, especialy sprint greyhounds.

The term whippet racing referred to the type ( straight track) of racing and hence the term whippet does not apply to the small dogs only. Don't be misled by the erroneous KC standard for whippets. A 55lb straight track sprinter is as much a whippet as an 18lb handicap racer - perhaps more so if we consider the origins of the breed.

Last edited by a moderator:
well said Tony my dad has an old book which says the whippet originated from GREYHOUND, ITALIAN GREYHOUND AND STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER .

mutley said:
wouldn't a good proposal be that proposals should only come in every 3 to 4 years, it would save a lot of hassle instead of the same cr.p every year..
Gary do you mean that a proposal e.g a cap for the no limits should only allowed to be proposed every three or four years or proposals in general. Either way I don't agree the members of any group are the group as without them there would be no group and it is vital that they should be allowed to have a say in that group. I understand what you are saying it gets boaring debating the same things every year (I wonder if the old kickboard debate will raise its head again this year) but if its proposed by a member it should at least be considered for the postal vote. If we were only allowed to vote on a subject once raised every three or four years we would still be having the presentation at the Straight Championships at the track after the racing for at least another year (although in my opinion those who do not want to go to the club or have to leave early if they are not camping should be able to get their trophy after racing if they wish to do so). For reasons I satated earlyier I will be voting against a cap if it is included in the postal vote but in my opinion it is vital that racers get the chance to vote on things every year.

:p 5 pages now on this ridiculous topic of capping NO LIMITS!!!! most of the posts AGAINST capping the NO LIMiTS!!!! just goes to show dosent it???

long live the no limits!!! ;)

thats it caz leave well alone no limits rule OK wonder what would happen if someone startd f...ing around with the yard per pounders lol :cheers: :oops: ;) :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: (w00t)

I THINK WHAT GAZ WAS SAYING IS THAT EVERY YEAR THE SAME THINGS KEEP GETTING VOTED ON.

CERTAIN PEOPLE MUST SIT AND THINK OF THINGS TO VOTE ON AND ALL THEY CAN COME UP WITH IS EITHER THE NO LIMITS OR SCR RACING.....

MAYBE INSTEAD OF ANNUAL VOTES IT SHOULD BE LEFT AS IT IS FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS TO SEE HOW IT WORKS OR HAVE PROPOSAL MEETINGS EVERY OTHER YEAR OR SO

DENISE BAILEY said:
I THINK WHAT GAZ WAS SAYING IS THAT EVERY YEAR THE SAME THINGS KEEP GETTING VOTED ON.CERTAIN PEOPLE MUST SIT AND THINK OF THINGS TO VOTE ON AND ALL THEY CAN COME UP WITH IS EITHER THE NO LIMITS OR SCR RACING.....

MAYBE INSTEAD OF ANNUAL VOTES IT SHOULD BE LEFT AS IT IS FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS TO SEE HOW IT WORKS OR HAVE PROPOSAL MEETINGS EVERY OTHER YEAR OR SO
I see where you are coming from Dee and it would be nice to see things left for a couple of years to see if they work but in my opinion it will not and should not happen. As I have said before members should have their say every year because if not you will just get another petition goind around if somthing gets voted in that people don't like (especially if you can't change it for three years). I hope that if this proposal does exist and is included in the postal vote people vote against it but don't take that for granted remember the last time it was voted on it was a draw and the chairman had to use his casting vote. I hope that we see some good proposals that will promote and better racing because in my opinion the biggest threat to racing is it will never be able to go forward if people can't stop looking back forget the past and concentrate on the future.

: does anyone know yet if this ridiculous proposal actually was proposed????

if it has been then i urge members to think very very carefully b4 voting on it as one day u might, just might end up with a dog bigger than 49lb then what wud u do? get rid of it? :(

thats it caz leave well alone no limits rule OK wonder what would happen if someone startd f...ing around with the yard per pounders lol
dont say that gary!! it will be another 5 pages now :oops:

wats the site u were tellin me bout at easington called then??

im glad that sense prvailed at the meeting on sunday i just hope people leave well alone its been running so well of late why interfere let big dogs do there stuff .

Historically the limit was a height one and this was 21 inches and at that time you had the likes of Blue Peter a very small stud dog and way back then people were taking greyhounds to be mated to him so as to reach or even push the 21 inch limit.then with the BWRA and the National Fed we had weight limits and people still raced the larger dogs so this has been ongoing for years and years.If a larger dog can fit into and race from the standard size club traps I for one did not mind racing my dogs against them and at the time I was racing the North East was well known for big dogs,so I guess if I was racing today I would say that due to the declining number of dogs at club level I would be more than happy to see these dogs racing.All the best in sport Ian

:) Ive got nothing against big dogs , and see no problem in letting them run.

Stop giving yourselfs a headach , and stop worring , just get yourselfs to the AGM on the 28th November at 11am Asfordby. And thrash it out with the committee :oops:

tanyia said:
:) Ive got nothing against big dogs , and see no problem in letting them run.Stop giving yourselfs a headach , and stop worring , just get yourselfs to the AGM on the 28th November at 11am Asfordby. And thrash it out with the committee  :oops:
:oops: long way to go for a meeting asfordby from newcastle isnt it?

Yes it is along way for you Carole I agree but if its going to get your point of veiw over, then its worth it. Some would do it to go to an open and its only once a year,

pity you cant get a mini bus and travell in a group.

We used to go to Stockon and back in a day to attend the agm

yes i have done it 4 an open thing is u r racing your dog at an open and as we have nobody to look after our dogs we wud have to take them all the way to asfordby with us too (not fair on them) also it costs a fotune and to be there for 11am we wud have to leave here at approx 7am as it takes about three and a half hours from here. i know it takes some less than that but it takes us 3 and a half on a good run! anyway whose to say its actually going to go to a vote??? we shall have to wait and see whan the voting papers come out? hopefully it was thrown out b4 it went that far! ;)

does anybody know what the proposals actually were? like was there any made to better the sport? :)

You will have a postal vote on all proposals that were agreed to go forward to a vote at the proposal meeting. Some may think that these are good for the sport, some may differ,that is why all members shall get a chance to vote on them.

I do not think there will be any need for you to worry about big dogs Carole, the only ammended proposal that concerns them is as follows, losely translated but may not be the exact wording, That all dogs must fit into existing whippet traps or they do not run. This will be up to the trap mans discretion, if he thinks that people are cramming their dogs into a trap and they may be injured he has the right to say that the dog in question will not run.

I for one then hope that this may be the last we hear on this subject for quite some time. What ever happens you are never going to please everyone.

i would advise people to go to this meeting, as if something gets passed that you do not like and you aren,t there then you can,t complain. ashfordby is a central place for this meeting when you think people come up from as far as portsmouth and travel down as far as up north. we all have to take our dogs, we are all in the same boat.

Ricky

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back