The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Big Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
buying greyhound traps for whippet racing is just going to make those who want a cap on big dogs say ohh i thought they were whippets why we buying greyhound traps :oops: and who would be willing to take the greyhound traps around the country for bwra avents .

Last edited by a moderator:
if its not broken why try to fix it its worked well enough for years as it is ;)

Hello what a disscusion

This one is for you honey bee since every time this subject is brought up you have a dig at me.

1 yes I bred a 36 lb whippet to a greyhound dog not to get a great big whippit but to get a greyhound line to breed down from i.e. the come on ranger line which has produced greyhound derby winners such as rapid ranger. This worked for me prduceing come on ernie and come on sue.

i gave Steve Willams half of both dogs.after a short time things were not working out so Steve had Sue and I kept Ernie. This left me without my brood bitch to breed down from MY MISTAKE. So I decided to start again. I got the 36lb whippet Miss Ellie, she was over in Ireland so decided to use her better litter sister MOlly Stag and went back to anothe stud gretyhoud i.e. Come on Ranger X Knockeven Star. This breeding was even more exciting than the Come on Ranger line. I produced 5 pups, 2 I kept myself, a dog and a bitch, 2 I gave to Graham Pendleton and one I sold to Gary Gorton. I registered mine and now am told that the cap on no limit dogs is 49lb. This was proposed by Doreen Hopkins Then Graham Pendleton phoned me and told me he has been unable to register his dogs as they are not taking any more registrations until 1 January2005, so we will just have toi wait and see what happens, I have also bred this year a 22lb bitch, to a greyhound and have one pup for me and one which is Tony Cooper's. If these pups go over 49lb even though they were bred before this stupid cap is brought in will I be able to race them - PROBABLY NOT. All you people this year, which have put a greyhound to your whippet, lets hope that you do not get any big ones because you won't be able to race then! Also I have noticed that there is another proposal brought in by Dorren Hopkins that all breeding needs to be acounted for, is this another way of knocking a greyhound cross?

Now I have got my brood bitch back from my new litter does this mean later on I will not be able to use her for breeding simply because she was unable to be registered - think about that one. No more big dogs and a further decline in whippet racing. Good luck to everybody and vote wisely.

Gary Farmer

dazgail said:
Well said Rowland, time after time when i read the topics in the K9 Community i am constantly reading reports of poor turn outs at the majority of the meetings. The sport seems to be on the decline and yet some narrow minded individuals want to reduce the numbers even more. If the government have their way hunting with dogs is going to be banned and i think that if that happens more and more people may want to get involved with racing. Surely the time may is right to add numbers to the sport and not to cause people to leave. What if the greyhound tracks refused to allow non ped whippets to run because they are not greyhounds?Johng, breeding a 3/4 greyhound to a greyhound does not give a 99.9% greyhound...if you have ever bred whippets to greyhounds you would know this. No one is trying to breed no limit whippets which are like greyhounds in height and weight. I have a no limit whippet, she is 48lb and my local greyhound track have refused to allow me to trial the dog around their track because she is not a greyhound.
? :

why not let the fox hounds run and line them with greyhounds why not :clown: :oops:

as for mating a 3/4 greyhound to full greyhound what do think you are going to get it definatly wont be what i class as no-ped whippet :(

as i have said before its not the SIZE OF THE DOGS its the way they are being BRED, how can u call ( for instance ) a dog a whippet out of my bitch paloma(whitch is half greyhound )and a full greyhound WHIPPETS.

p.s. i know you can get 50+(and thers nothing wrong with that), :( out of small whippet dog and greyhound but at least you know were its come from :luck:

gaz i wouldnt lett it worry you its only another daft proposal this dosnt mean it will come into force LONG LIVE NO LIMITS :cheers:

:p john g the proposal is for a cap on NO LIMIT not the way they r bred so say if in the future u do line paloma with even a 20lb dog u might just might get a large dog of 50lb+ so wot wud happen then? obviously doreen hopkins must have something against NO LIMITS i put that in caps as if u do put a cap on NO LIMITS of 49lb u can no longer call them NO LIMITS!!!! i also believe someone else tried this last year but it was considered to be silly so we never even voted on it. also as i said b4 if the stupid rule of 49lb was brought in what r the MAJORITY of NO LIMIT racers supposed to run in? or r we meant to starve our dogs so they go below the 49lb limit?

that would be possible carol but thats the chance you take,and i probably would"nt pick the biggest anyway i would sell it to you no limit racers LOL. :D AS FOR THE WAY THEY ARE BRED IT AS TO BE LOOKED AT, say i did mate paloma with a greyhound then mated one of her offspring to a greyhound,then mated one of its offspring to a greyhound will it still be a WHIPPET : ;) I THINK NOT.

Question for gary farmer my mate, i am just enquiring if irish dancer is from the same litter as come on sue and come on ernie, as i was led to believe this so, i can remember racing against this bitch last year down at fordingbridge, and have now come to understand that it is now a veteran. Steve Williams has told a good friend of mine that it has come from the same litter as he now owns and runs her

thanks rick

JOHNG, It wouldn't be a greyhound and it certainly wouldn't be a whippet, cause you wouldn't be able to register them as such?

In my opinion there is no non ped whippet around which will beat the top sprint greyhounds to the bend or over 165 yds on a straight track. So if anyone has a decent no limit bitch and they have the opportunity to use one of the top sprint greyhounds around, why not use it. Hopefully the pups will be somewhere around the 45-55lb in weight with a lot of the speed/gene of the greyhound. I could be wrong but i think this is the size/height/weight/type of no limit dogs some people are trying to breed.

When i mentioned earlier about a 3/4 greyhound to 100% greyhound does not give 99.9% greyhound, i was talking about the genetics of the pups, as i know of cases when this type of mating has produced 26-30lb dogs.

Please don't take this reply in the wrong manner as i am not arguing or fighting over the issue.

Also if the government have their way it is not only hunting foxes with dogs that will be banned it will be illegal to hunt with any type of dog, whether it be bloodhound, beagle, greyhound, lurcher, terrier etc etc.....whippet, non-ped whippet o:) :teehee:

if this stupid proposal is not thrown out at the reps meeting on sunday and goes to a postal ballot then lets hope common sense prevails and the members vote for the no limit to stay . if by any chance they vote to cap it then the bwra will be the losers of quite a few dogs and members. it will go back to how it was in the eighties when we were running WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE we could only race with the NWRF. Fortunately that should,nt change because the NWRF was formed to accommodate the bigger dog like WHATUPPY FAIR , HOLLIWOOD ,ROSKO etc . We should be going forward not backward (i wonder if thats what the B stands for in the BWRA these days).........and above all else lets consider of these dogs not everyone is going to keep them as pets please think hard before you vote

sherry said:
also as i said b4 if the stupid rule of 49lb was brought in what r the MAJORITY of NO LIMIT racers supposed to run in? or r we meant to starve our dogs so they go below the 49lb limit?
we could have another group for them, maybe call it xxlarge no limits lol :D :D

:p :D :p For Sale 9 pups, 5 dogs and 4 bitches

GREYHOUND x GREYHOUND

9 Months old

For sale due to the fact that they are very small pups and won't make the grade for greyhound racing. Should make 45-50lb in weight. Not ear marked so new owners may wish to register them to race in the non-ped races.

:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

Only having a laugh.......and poking a bit of fun.

Rick, i am 99% sure that Irish Dancer is not from the same litter as Come on Ernie and Come on Sue, and if someone has told you this when selling the dog they are full of nonsense......Gary will correct me if i am wrong on this one.

I had a pedigree whippet in 1980 he was K.C registered and he wieghed 36lb the limit for peds was 30lb needless to say he couldn,t race and was kept as a pet but it shows no matter what your breeding anything can go over

answer for ricky

irish dancers breeding is nothing to do with come on ernie or sue

you have been miss informed

in fact her mum was a bitch called cora with was a ped whippet x non ped whippet whippet put to a greyhound

GARY :cheers:

The last time this subject went to a vote I was going to abstain as I will never own a no limit due to lack of racing here for them and I felt it was nothing to do with me though I felt that they should be able to race as long as they fit in the trap but in the end I voted against a cap as I felt that no limit racers and their dogs are every bit as important to racing as any other weight group. In my opinion it will go to a vote again as if memory serves me correctly the vote the last time it was proposed was tied after the postal vote and the Chairman used his casting vote and no cap limit was introduced. As I have said before and someone has said this time any inrtoduction of a weight limit cap should only apply to dogs bread after a certian date so that existing dogs can finish their racing career. I say leave it as it is as long as the dogs can fit safley into traps let them race because otherwise racing could loose even more members as these people might just give up racing altogether and take their smaller dogs with them (yes some no limit racers race smaller dogs as well) and more clubs will close forcing racers with just small dogs to give up racing as they will have no where local to race their dogs and the racing circle will shrink even smaller until you have the same racers racing each other every week and that will loose it appeal after a while then there will be no racing. In my opinion introducing a weight cap limit will not force no limit racers to get a smaller dog we need each other just for racing to survive never mind prosper I hope to see the no limits running up the track next year and for many more after that.

every year same shit gets brought up (cap big uns )

grow up and dont be so petty :angry:

All this fuss over a subject that has been well aired before. I will say this, I do not own or want to own a scratch dog. My whippets i.e. handicap whippets, will never be asked to race with the scratch dogs, so no conflict there, If I decided to breed I would never use a scratch dog or even a large handicap dog that has a large amount of greyhound blood in them, so no conflict there.

Those that choose to race or breed scratch dogs will not conflict with my racing, why should I try to conflict with theirs.

I think it is a poor state of affairs when we can all complain and moan about racing that does not affect us.

If 5 Jack Russell terriers turn up and want a race so be it, that wont bother the scratch dogs or the handicap dogs as neither will be racing against them.

Now if the people who put on racing do not want scratch dogs to take part, then be upfront enough to say so, as far as I am concerned all dogs can race in their classes as long as they fit in the traps provided, those that do not fit, well I am sorry but you will have to race where you do fit in the traps.

I hold my hands up it was me who proposed to buy bigger traps for the Scr Dogs

Some 40lb dogs even have trouble getting into the traps that was used at the last championships But I did not propose the money come out of members pockets I proposed that Domino Cards or football cards could be sold to pay for them not like the £5 which all BWRA members paid and what did we get for it does anyone realy know how the money was spent They need not be greyhound traps Just some thing a little taller and longer. I agree with what the weather girls said it cuts both ways when you see all the gear that is used for the smaller dos to fit into the traps being used today But i have no problem with that.As for no limit dogs I have one Challenger who nis 52/53IB I didnt go in for a big No Limiter when I went to pick him there were three pups all the same size one is 36LB and the other about 32Lb I got the short straw he just didnt stop growing But to cap the weight limit is crazy Doreen wants whippet racing like it used to be sorry Doreen it will never happen even if you do cap the limit you are chasing good whippet people away from the sport which has already been done in some cases. They dont run against small dogs they run with the weight class they come under. Just look at the entries at the championships and how much revenue you will loose if this Capping is enforced. Just to say I have a 18lb Bitch and a 22Lb dog as well as A No Limiter who Im am very proud of.

wouldn't a good proposal be that proposals should only come in every 3 to 4 years, it would save a lot of hassle instead of the same cr.p every year..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back