The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Vicky said:
If all else fails why don't these people put their money where their mouths are and have the dogs they are saying to be greyhound DNA tested??  I'm sure any owner with nothing to hide would oblige.

Last edited by a moderator:
sadieandco said:
Just a thought here - if people are getting worried about full greyhounds being run would it not be a good time to start and restrict breeding slightly by only allowing puppies to be registered into the organisations if their parents have already been registered in the whippet organisations.    Therefore no full greyhounds would be used for breeding as obviously not registered.  Over the years we have put in so much good greyhound blood perhaps now the gene pool can run without the use of greyhound brood bitches, if people like the bigger dogs it can still be maintained by by breeding no limits with no limits if thats their choice, but at the same time we would then be back to racing 'non peds' with not quite so much greyhound in them.  I am not trying to suggest how people should breed its just one way that maybe we could tighten up and maybe downsize slightly again as it has been said even the heavyweights are now much bigger than in the past!!!!!  (Please note i am not anti greyhound either i love to see all dogs race its just a way perhaps to make it less of an issue of what the dogs racing actualy are non peds, greyhounds etc.)
Not sure if i've worded this right but i think you'll get the drift!!!!!!!  :oops:

Some very good points in your post :thumbsup: but unfortunately it's not fool proof, or should I say cheat proof.

Here's an example, I have a greyhound bitch called Maggie, I also have Pennysworth a genuine non-ped who is registered with the governing bodies.

Lets say that I want to be a cheat, I would only have to put a full greyhound over our Maggie, and tell everyone that I have mated Pennysworth to our Jack the Lad or even our Norman ;) mmmm get the drift everyone, it's so easy isn't it.

Especially if you've got your own stud dog/brood bitch or bitches.

Now if they throw big, I just have to say , yes they've thrown back to the greyhound ;)

Of course I would never ever breed this way, because I'm not a dirty cheat and I only like playing on a level playing field.

what the hell is going on in this sport :rant: it used to be a family hobby with little gain :but lots of pleasure ( DNA testing :blink: anyone would think we were racing thorough bred f......g race horses :rant: time to get back to basics in whippet racing and enjoy it before its to late :rant: some breeders should look closer to home as to why some may think its OK to race a greyhound in the scratch :rant:

most scratch dogs over 45 pound are more likely to be greyhounds than whippets personally i love scratch racing but over the last few year its changed dramatically THOSE THROWING THE CORN DOWN WAITING FOR OTHERS TO PICK IT UP GET SOME BALLS AND JUST COME OUT AND SAY IT TO THE FACES OF THOSE ACCUSED INSTEAD OF HIDING BEHIND A KEYBOARD :rant:

Can i join in lol :- "

Firstly why would someone rip of decent people's family pets at lurcher events. I mean what would be the point in cheating yourself and your dog with racing a greyhound with lurchers, Thats just below the beat for starters, Also there are a few ways you can tell greyhounds apart, mainly size, height, muzzel, weight sometimes looks, and the frame.

Name and shame :oops:

mutley said:
what the hell is going on in this sport  :rant: it used to  be a family hobby with little gain :but lots of pleasure (  DNA testing :blink:   anyone would think we were racing thorough bred f......g race horses  :rant: time to get back to basics in whippet racing and enjoy it before its to late :rant: some  breeders should look closer to home as to why some may think its OK  to race a greyhound in the scratch :rant: most scratch dogs over 45 pound are  more likely to be greyhounds than whippets personally i love scratch racing but over the last few year its changed dramatically THOSE THROWING THE CORN DOWN WAITING FOR OTHERS TO PICK IT UP GET SOME BALLS AND JUST COME OUT AND  SAY IT TO THE FACES OF THOSE ACCUSED INSTEAD OF HIDING BEHIND A KEYBOARD :rant:

The same could be said about having to have drug testing in our sport

i agree it would be wrong but theres loads do it :(

milly said:
mutley said:
what the hell is going on in this sport  :rant: it used to  be a family hobby with little gain :but lots of pleasure (  DNA testing :blink:   anyone would think we were racing thorough bred f......g race horses  :rant: time to get back to basics in whippet racing and enjoy it before its to late :rant: some  breeders should look closer to home as to why some may think its OK  to race a greyhound in the scratch :rant: most scratch dogs over 45 pound are  more likely to be greyhounds than whippets personally i love scratch racing but over the last few year its changed dramatically THOSE THROWING THE CORN DOWN WAITING FOR OTHERS TO PICK IT UP GET SOME BALLS AND JUST COME OUT AND  SAY IT TO THE FACES OF THOSE ACCUSED INSTEAD OF HIDING BEHIND A KEYBOARD :rant:

The same could be said about having to have drug testing in our sport

totaly agree

Forgot to add, me and Dee are only pretending :D

Personally to me it makes not a jot of difference who runs what in the No Limit classes as i have said before i prefer smaller whippets, so therefore not sure who is accusing who of doing what in the way of cheating - and my own personal opinion is that if someone is cheating in anyway the only person they are really cheating is themselves whether it be running dogs that are not non peds or cheating in any other way, shape or form - You are totally right Gary this is/was a family hobby and we should be there to enjoy it as many of us are with our families and to see our dogs do 'their' best on their own merrits.

To Geoff too yes you are right not fool proof idea - but then if cheats are around what is fool proof to the likes of those people.

My post was only an idea as it was asked on a previous post if anyone had any ideas - maybe best to keep our ideas to ourselves if replying to posts :rant: people so much. :blink: (Gary i'm scared now :oops: ok i'm not really lol) , but whilst ever we are racing we will have debates about one thing or another - this one today something else tomorrow!!!! :) and then back to this one again in a few weeks/months - its racing !!!!!! :eek:

The thing is at gamefairs little shows the name for the events is

Lurcher and terrier show

:- "

sadieandco said:
Personally to me it makes not a jot of difference who runs what in the No Limit classes as i have said before i prefer smaller whippets, so therefore not sure who is accusing who of doing what in the way of cheating - and my own personal opinion is that if someone is cheating in anyway the only person they are really cheating is themselves whether it be running dogs that are not non peds or cheating in any other way, shape or form - You are totally right Gary this is/was a family hobby and we should be there to enjoy it as many of us are with our families and to see our dogs do 'their' best on their own merrits. 
To Geoff too yes you are right not fool proof idea - but then if cheats are around what is fool proof to the likes of those people. 

My post was only an idea as it was asked on a previous post if anyone had any ideas - maybe best to keep our ideas to ourselves if replying to posts  :rant: people so much. :blink: (Gary i'm scared now  :oops: ok i'm not really lol) , but whilst ever we are racing we will have debates about one thing or another - this one today something else tomorrow!!!!  :) and then back to this one again in a few weeks/months - its racing !!!!!! :eek:

TRUE :thumbsup: :D

mutley said:
what the hell is going on in this sport  :rant: it used to  be a family hobby with little gain :but lots of pleasure (  DNA testing :blink:   anyone would think we were racing thorough bred f......g race horses  :rant: time to get back to basics in whippet racing and enjoy it before its to late :rant: some  breeders should look closer to home as to why some may think its OK  to race a greyhound in the scratch :rant: [SIZE=14pt]most scratch dogs over 45 pound are  more likely to be greyhounds than whippets [/SIZE]personally i love scratch racing but over the last few year its changed dramatically THOSE THROWING THE CORN DOWN WAITING FOR OTHERS TO PICK IT UP GET SOME BALLS AND JUST COME OUT AND  SAY IT TO THE FACES OF THOSE ACCUSED INSTEAD OF HIDING BEHIND A KEYBOARD :rant:

Haway gary (w00t) .....................must be a few greyhounds running then!!!

chris

Vicky said:
If all else fails why don't these people put their money where their mouths are and have the dogs they are saying to be greyhound DNA tested??  I'm sure any owner with nothing to hide would oblige.
Agree completely Vicky, :thumbsup: believe money and bitch are available,so this can be put to rest.one way or the other.This as already been offered to the person concerned,and should it happen then it will be requested that people from the top tables attend so that everything is above board :thumbsup:

rodders said:
Vicky said:
Agree completely Vicky, :thumbsup: believe money and bitch are available,so this can be put to rest.one way or the other.This as already been offered to the person concerned,and should it happen then it will be requested that people from the top tables attend so that everything is above board :thumbsup:

What about the stud dog would you not need both parents and sapling ?

By DNA testing the dog in question what are you trying to achieve its % greyhound blood or whippet blood or its breeding

Believe there is no question over the sire being a greyhound Dee,just the dam.

Or i see so we are discussing different dogs then lol (w00t) joke

1 question has the dog ever run at any bwra or nnwrf event along side the none ped scr dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back