The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bsfa Meeting At Banbury

Deb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ARE ANY K9'ERS GOING TO THE NEXT BRITISH SIGHTHOUND FIELD ASSOCATION

MEETING AT RADWAY NEAR BANBURY ON THE 24TH APRIL ?. MY REASON FOR

ASKING IS THAT MY OH IS TRYING TO MATCH UP DIGGER ( ARJUNA JOE BLOGGS) WITH DOGS TO COURSE WITH. BEING NEW AND KNOWING VERY FEW

PEOPLE IT IS A LITTLE DIFFICULT BUT WE WANT TO PERSEVERE AS IT IS SO

ENJOYABLE A DAY OUT SEEING EVERYTHING FROM A BASENJI TO A WOLFHOUND

CHASING THE LURE. DIGGER LOVES IT ALTHOUGH HE IS A LITTLE TOO VERBAL

o:) (w00t) ANY OFFERS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :cheers:

I wish I was going :( I am away on holiday though :D

I hope to be going to the one in May though and it will be my first time too, so I may see you there :cheers:

Have fun on the 24th

Hi Deb,

I'll be going, and taking Mabel, who has never been before, Normie the Italian Greyhound who has been Afghan racing but never lure coursing, and Nellie the lurcher who has been and is quite good!

The people are very friendly, and there will always be someone who will pair up with your dog, so don't worry about going on your own.

I haven't been lure coursing for ages, really looking forward to it!

See you there.

Liz and the Monellis

Millie and I are going. We have 4 dogs between us but Rupert can always run again as a 'spare' cos he's as fit as a flea!!! So do come along and enjoy the day!

Whoops, missed this thread - have been off doing other tedious things for a while and missed out on K9ing. Yes, you can always run with ours - Class 3 Open? I haven't been before although we did race for a year so I hope ours won't be completely clueless.

General question - OH met lady with non-ped whippet and bedli cross this morning and told her all about it. She was very excited as she used to go to Selby. Having just filled in the KC no on the form I'm not sure her dogs would be eligible would they? She's ringing later on to find out more, what should I tell her?

Elizabeth

She could take her unregistered dogs and run them if she also has a KC registered sighthound of any description and runs that but otherwise she cannot run her non-ped or lurcher. The society is for members' only registered pedigree sighthounds although they will be lenient if members do have other sorts

Caroline, does that mean I can't 'fun-run' my IG and enter my Lurcher unless I also bring a Whippet to run?

I was going to bring Mabel, but she sliced her pad out walking yesterday and I'm sure she won't be able to run. :rant:

I will bring Alfie along if that's the case- he's not very good but he doesn't half enjoy it!

Liz and the Monellis

I wish I was going, I went a few years ago with Jan & Liz and I thought it was fantastic!

The kids got board pretty quick and spent most of the time moaning that they were hot and fed-up but me and my old man and the whippets really enjoyed it - and we all really felt sorry for the poor owners of the salukis, they just could not get their dogs back and spent ages chasing them up and down the field! :rant: Funny enough, the kids liked that bit! :lol:

alfie said:
Caroline, does that mean I can't 'fun-run' my IG and enter my Lurcher unless I also bring a Whippet to run?I was going to bring Mabel, but she sliced her pad out walking yesterday and I'm sure she won't be able to run. :rant:

I will bring Alfie along if that's the case- he's not very good but he doesn't half enjoy it!

Liz and the Monellis

Hmmmmmmm, if you are already a member you may be OK but you will have to wait right until the end for a fun run. The main problem is that there are getting to be so many dogs entered now that it is difficult to get them all run in a timely fashion and if too many people bring things that are not registered sighthounds it just slows everything up. Which is fine for those people that just run their dog and then clear off home but for those who are actually interested in running their dogs properly and want to stay to the end for the results and help clear up etc, etc............. it is a pain in the proverbial!!!

I noticed when I was judging at the last meeting that more and more people are also single running dogs, which is not really the idea. First time youngsters and veterans are eligible to run singly but dogs should really run in pairs. Perhaps I am wrong but I get the distinct impression that people are just bringing along their sighthounds to let them have a run off the lead when they should be coming along for a competition!!! It doesn't matter whether they are good or not, they enjoy it and that's the main thing!!!

Ooooh dear! That was a bit of a rant :rant: wasn't it!! Sorry Liz, it wasn't directed at you personally!!!

dessie said:
Hmmmmmmm, if you are already a member you may be OK but you will have to wait right until the end for a fun run. 
Well, Gary just emailed me back to say the lady got in touch with him directly and is definitely coming ! Mine's from coursing lines so I'd be quite interested to see him run against another keen dog, although he hasn't done anything competitive for a couple of years.

Ooh, the inlaws (who live round the corner) want to bring their grand-brat along. Is this the done thing? I'd rather they didn't, I'm sure it'll be bored rigid and howling after about 5 minutes!

Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids are tolerated as long as they are well behaved!!! Much the same as the dogs really!!! LOL!

Sorry only joking! Yes, children can attend ............. if they must!

Come to think of it, it all the years I have been lure coursing, I can't ever remember there being a cross word between the hounds. I think they are so intent on what is going on that they just don't bother having go's at other dogs, unlike shows where I think boredom sets in!!

I was hoping you'd say they were banned actually, they're not really my thing :- " It followed our dog round saying 'bow wow' for about 2 hours last time they met until the poor little whippet had enough and stuck his head up my jumper to hide. :b

My memory of racing was that all the whippets were too excited by the thought of racing to worry about anything else. I'm hoping this will be the case as ours is none too keen on large sighthounds (or large dogs in general). I guess the whippet and Iggy fraternity probably hang out on one side don't they so perhaps there'll be safety in numbers.

Elizabeth

moriarte said:
I guess the whippet and Iggy fraternity probably hang out on one side don't they so perhaps there'll be safety in numbers.
Elizabeth

I wouldn't say that, people tend to mingle but then there is an element that you tend to 'camp' by your own car, which are all parked on the field, but you certainaly do not find 'cliques' of breeds................... well, if you do, I've never particularly noticed them!!! LOL!

Hi Moriarte

Thanks for replying to my PM and my thread here. Would love to run with you and Digger is certainly keen (you can hear him a mile away) (w00t)

He is 23 months so will will in class one. I too would like them too meet first to introduce themselves :- " o:)

Look forward to seeing you. Am sure someone will point us in each others direction.

Deb

hello

my wife and i are going to attend with our two whippets "larry & dudley" more for a look see than anything else.

could anyone give us directions and what time it starts etc?

Regards

Gary

Deb said:
Look forward to seeing you.  Am sure someone will point us in each others direction.

We'll be the people in the ancient blue falling apart volvo covered in straw, with a whippet howling like a wolf every time he spots a deerhound :blink: You won't want to be associated with us :lol:

Start time 10 am. More details

http://www.lurecoursing.org.uk/calendar/event2.html

I think Radway's probably quite a small place - don't like to be too specific on location as the word 'coursing' gets some people a bit worked up. Email the organisers for details, they're quite helpful.

See everyone there, if I can keep mine intact until Sunday!

Elizabeth

Hi,

I have received my email re directions and start time from the secretary, and really hope to get there, depends on OH climbing out of bed early enough.......

Just one question though; Can we buy a cup of tea etc, or do I need to be domesticated and take flasks, sandwiches etc?!

Sorry to be such a blonde but it is my first time :- "

Tracy Chamberlain said:
Hi,
I have received my email re directions and start time from the secretary, and really hope to get there, depends on OH climbing out of bed early enough.......

Just one question though; Can we buy a cup of tea etc, or do I need to be domesticated and take flasks, sandwiches etc?!

Sorry to be such a blonde but it is my first time  :- "

You are not being blonde at all cos how would you know if you have not been before .............. unless you have a crystal ball of course!! LOL!

Unfortunately, you are going to have to become domesticated and take your own food and drink cos we haven't yet persuaded Gary to open up a burger/tea van!!

Hope to see you there Tracy!

I think those K9ers who have badges ought to be wearing them!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back