The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cleaning Teeth..

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Fragaria are a homeopathic tablet,you can give one a day for a month if your dog has a bad build up of tartar on their teeth,or like Liz,one a week to help maintain healthy,clean teeth.

Fragaria - is the latin name for wild strawberry and is used mainly in the homoeopathic form (very very dilute) it softens the tartar on the teeth and makes brushing much easier.

It had a lot of press about 6 or so years ago and we couldn't hardly keep up with the demand, but unlike a lot of fads it is still really popular and many people swear by it. It doesn't seem to work on ALL dogs and cats (but what does!) but ideal especially for elderly animals when you wouldn't want them to undergo andanaesthetic for descaling. I recoemmend the fragaria and then occasional brushing ( mind you I find my dogs teeth are pretty good due to the raw bone diet :thumbsup: )

Hi All,

I thought you weren't meant to give dogs chicken bones of any kind as they splinter in their stomache :eek: Well that's what a vet once told me. Where is the best place to buy Fragaria I have heard it's good as well? I gave Megan a Marrow bone and boy what a mess she was in with it, she was caked in the marrow, I suppose that's part of the fun!

Kirsty

whippynit said:
Wendy said:
I was really dubious about the whole marrowbone thing (I've come a long way since then as I now feed raw chicken wings and all sorts), but I decided to give it a try when 2 of my girls looked like they were possibly needing a dental.  Gave them the bones for a couple of afternoons and the difference was phenomenal.  Went to the vets a few weeks later and they commented on how lovely their teeth looked.  It REALLY does make a difference.
Juley was having problems with some of her girls' teeth (and was as dubious as I had been) but recently started giving them marrowbones as well and can't get over the difference.

Wendy

Hi Wendy :D , Do you give the marrowbones raw? I was always told to boil them first to harden them so dont splinter. Is this right?

Raw - if you cook them it changes the makeup of the bone and that's when they can either splinter or be too hard and crack teeth. So I bring the bones home and stick them in the freezer. When it's a nice day I just take them out back and let the dogs have them. Poor spoiled dogs can't eat them on the grass though so they have special blankets to eat them on (w00t)

Wendy

Hello everyone. Interested you read of the fragaria tablets. Can anyone please tell me where I could buy them.Many thanks

Chris

kirsty said:
Hi All,
I thought you weren't meant to give dogs chicken bones of any kind as they splinter in their stomache :eek:   Well that's what a vet once told me.  Where is the best place to buy Fragaria I have heard it's good as well?  I gave Megan a Marrow bone and boy what a mess she was in with it, she was caked in the marrow, I suppose that's part of the fun!

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty - have a look at my post above about cooking bones. And if you're interested do a search on raw feeding on here.

Cooked poultry bones can splinter and can cause trouble in the gut, but raw ones get chewed and digested well. Cooking changes the makeup and allows them to splinter. So whenever you see someone recommending bones of any kind here we will always be talking about raw.

It took me about 3 years or more of reading about it to give it a try. And the first few times I fed the dogs raw wings it was all I could do not to snatch them back as everything in my being screamed it was wrong. But they've thrived on it. And the first time I fed the pup a wing it was sooo hard (raw minced meat and bones, yes, but a whole wing.... YIKES).

It's not for everyone, yes, they could eat too big a piece and I won't say it's without risk (but neither is kibble feeding really), but I've weighed the risks in my own mind and feel the benefit outweighs it. I would never presume to tell anyone else what they should do regarding feeding because you have to do what works for you and your situation, but if you do decide to feed bones in some form or another make sure they're raw, not cooked.

Wendy

kirsty said:
Hi All,
I thought you weren't meant to give dogs chicken bones of any kind as they splinter in their stomache :eek:    Well that's what a vet once told me.  Where is the best place to buy Fragaria I have heard it's good as well?  I gave Megan a Marrow bone and boy what a mess she was in with it, she was caked in the marrow, I suppose that's part of the fun!

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty, there's a lot of information on the subject, and some quite hot debate (w00t) in our FAQ section :thumbsup:

Here's the link for you: Feeding topic - click me check the section called RAW FOOD DIET - chicken wings, good or bad?

It all makes for good reading ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy and Helen,

Thanks for explaining it to me. I shall go and have a read at the section you suggested.

Kirsty

Jo . I love Stan the Man and Lord Archibaldy. Lovely looking boys.

C :thumbsup:

I find chicken necks best, doen't anybody else feed them? They do not have bones and are lot thicker, so the dogs have plenty to sink their teeth into. I also give raw marrow bones, i buy (free haven't been here for years) the biggest one my butcher has, and i give it to the dogs whole. I give it to them right in the back of our garden under the apricot tree, so it is a long way to drag to the house. Saves me from finding it in my bed. (w00t) Every now and then I collect the old ones and buy some fresh.

Lida

Lida - unfortunately good sources for chicken necks are pretty rare over here in the UK. I'd feed them all the time if I could find a good proper source. I have one guy at the local market who saves me what he can when he remembers, but beyond that none of the butchers dress their own birds now, so unfortunately we can't get them easily.

But I agree - they are far better meat to bone ratio.

Wendy

We use raw marrow bones and dried bread. They love the bread. However we only "treat" one whippet at a time to avoid fights. Stephen

Hi all

We scrape our dogs teeth with a blunt knife and then brush them with cet dog tooth paste the enzymes in the toothpaste eat away at anything we miss cet dog toothpaste can be bought from most vets :thumbsup:

Seraphina said:
I find chicken necks best, doen't anybody else feed them?  They do not have bones and are lot thicker, so the dogs have plenty to sink their teeth into.  I also give raw marrow bones, i buy (free haven't been here for years) the biggest one my butcher has, and i give it to the dogs whole.  I give it to them right in the back of our garden under the apricot tree, so it is a long way to drag to the house.  Saves me from finding it in my bed. (w00t)   Every now and then I collect the old ones and buy some fresh.
Lida

Never seen a source for chicken necks but I do use turkey necks which they love and make a change from chicken wings. I also give breast of lamb as an alternative now that I have found somewhere to get it from. I have also started giving chicken carcasses & backs which I didn't think would go down too well with my lot ....................... WRONG!!!!

The biggest problem I find is not having any good old fashioned butchers around here any more. The few butcher shops there are (including supermarkets) buy all their cuts of meat in boxes instead of butchering it themselves.

I think the CET toothpaste is what whippynit isn't keen on as I have the poultry flavour too. However they do do a beef flavour too. I prefer a 10% hydrogen peroxide solution and a toothbrush which the dogs approve of and is safe enough for humans to use as a mouthrinse. Do ensure it is of the correct dilution when you ask for it at chemists. I do have an older dog who following pregnancy she suffered from gum recession which lead to stagnation areas for plaque to accumulate, I kept this at bay by using an inter-dental toothbrush but it is hard going. I've since started her on a plaque inhibitor and I'm very impressed with the results, tartar build up has been less, and her gums and breath have improved too.

wild whippies said:
I've since started her on a plaque inhibitor and I'm very impressed with the results, tartar build up has been less, and her gums and breath have improved too.
please can you tell me, what is a plaque inhibitor? I've never heard of one before :wacko:

IMO it's really not worth pi$$ing about cleaning your dogs teeth when you can feed them plenty raw fresh meat and lots of bones/chicken wings - and i'm damn sure you'll dogs would prefer this way. Another thing a lot of people dont think about is how much stronger the dog's jaw's are after all that chewing, my pups now won't let go once they get onto something, even when ragging with the big dogs, they've been having chicken wings since 4 weeks old.

My spaniel who's mother had the most vile teeth at 2 year old, has the cleanest / whitest teeth i've ever seen - all down to plenty bones!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
brought a lovely big marrow bone today,the butcher cut it up for me :thumbsup: i,ve put them in the freezer,so they can have them tommorow :D :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back