The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cleaning Teeth..

whippynit

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all :D

Just wondered how may of you lot out there atchully clean your dogs teggies?

Just noticed our EBT (hes two) breath getting slightly smelly, althought Holly whippets is fine but shes only 13 months.

The only paste ive seen on the market is the poultry flavoured one which im a bit dubious if it'd make the breath smell better or worse! :nuke:

I know you can get all these fancy chews and biscuits on the market but was just interested to know what most of the k9'ers do???? :cheers:

Best toothpaste is a Marrow bone,brings their teeth up sparkling :thumbsup:

I occasionally have to give Flyn's teeth a clean as he's a bit lazy on the chewing thing & i use the Petrodex,poultry flavoured one,only cos i can't find a more natural one.

This is another thing about feeding complete foods & treats,your dog will inevitably end up with pongy breath :x & plaque on the teeth.

alfyn said:
Best toothpaste is a Marrow bone,brings their teeth up sparkling :thumbsup:
I occasionally have to give Flyn's teeth a clean as he's a bit lazy on the chewing thing & i use the Petrodex,poultry flavoured one,only cos i can't find a more natural one.

This is another thing about feeding complete foods & treats,your dog will inevitably end up with pongy breath :x   & plaque on the teeth.

Thanks again Debs :thumbsup: Think im going to start having a re think about my girls diet :cheers:

Hi There,

I too use petrodex on my dogs teeth, they really like it, one Chloe cant wait to have her teeth cleaned she pushes in the queue!! :wacko:

Very seldom bother, they either have good teeth or not, but I have not had a Whippet with plaque encrusted teeth, only a couple of the spaniels. Mine are not fed a complete food as their staple diet but have wings, bones, hooves etc to chew on.

I was really dubious about the whole marrowbone thing (I've come a long way since then as I now feed raw chicken wings and all sorts), but I decided to give it a try when 2 of my girls looked like they were possibly needing a dental. Gave them the bones for a couple of afternoons and the difference was phenomenal. Went to the vets a few weeks later and they commented on how lovely their teeth looked. It REALLY does make a difference.

Juley was having problems with some of her girls' teeth (and was as dubious as I had been) but recently started giving them marrowbones as well and can't get over the difference.

Wendy

Give him bones ......nice big marrowbones free from the butchers.

I rarely gave my jrt Alfie bones and his teeth had started to look a bit dirty. I began giving him bones regular and his teeth are now sparkling!!!

I was amazed at the improvement.

He really enjoys the bones too. :)

Always freeze the bones for at least 24 hours to kill any nasties that could cause some diseases in dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gave them the bones for a couple of afternoons and the difference was phenomenal. Went to the vets a few weeks later and they commented on how lovely their teeth looked. It REALLY does make a difference.
I agree - whenever we go to the vet, she always comments on Josie's fantastic teeth. She always seems a bit puzzled when I tell her about Josie's diet of raw bones, and then tells me she "can't recommend it, but it's obviously working!" :lol:

Mazza, that was really interesting that you freeze the bones. I have been using them but had read about a possible problem with beef and dogs so was having 2nd thoughts. I wondered if you could freeze them of if that would make them brittle.

Juley said:
Mazza, that was really interesting that you freeze the bones.  I have been using them but had read about a possible problem with beef and dogs so was having 2nd thoughts. I wondered if you could freeze them of if that would make them brittle.
OMG, I hadn't given it a thought about them going brittle. :eek:

They don't appear to change after freezing.

I freeze chicken meat, bones and all before feeding so I would have thought it would be ok for other bones.

Hope some one on here can reassure us that the big marrowbones are ok to freeze.

Absolutely fine to freeze :thumbsup: Never had any problems, I get some bags of marrow bones from a nice friend occasionally and just freeze them all and then defreeze them as and when with the tripe etc. Always freeze chicken wings too as I buy them in bulk :D

~JO~ said:
Absolutely fine to freeze  :thumbsup:   Never had any problems, I get some bags of marrow bones from a ncie friend occasionally and just freeze them all and then defreeze them as and when with the tripe etc.  Always freeze chicken wings too as I buy them in bulk  :D
DITTO :thumbsup:

~Helen~ said:
Gave them the bones for a couple of afternoons and the difference was phenomenal. Went to the vets a few weeks later and they commented on how lovely their teeth looked. It REALLY does make a difference.
I agree - whenever we go to the vet, she always comments on Josie's fantastic teeth. She always seems a bit puzzled when I tell her about Josie's diet of raw bones, and then tells me she "can't recommend it, but it's obviously working!" :lol:

that's exactly my vets response to my girls diet!

Juley - I always freeze mine. I usually then take them straight out of the freezer and give them still frozen - no they don't go brittle. (sorry I didn't tell you about freezing them)

Wendy

I do marrowbones too - a big knuckle-bone from the butcher once every few weeks and their teeth are great for it. Austin's are naturally good anyway (he chews every night anyway) but Maisie really benefits from something to gnaw.

Wendy said:
I was really dubious about the whole marrowbone thing (I've come a long way since then as I now feed raw chicken wings and all sorts), but I decided to give it a try when 2 of my girls looked like they were possibly needing a dental.  Gave them the bones for a couple of afternoons and the difference was phenomenal.  Went to the vets a few weeks later and they commented on how lovely their teeth looked.  It REALLY does make a difference.
Juley was having problems with some of her girls' teeth (and was as dubious as I had been) but recently started giving them marrowbones as well and can't get over the difference.

Wendy

Hi Wendy :D , Do you give the marrowbones raw? I was always told to boil them first to harden them so dont splinter. Is this right?

I feed chicken wings as advised by lots of K9'ers when I was new to this site - havnt had the marrow bones yet - but will try to get some.

Also Ive got some Roast Dinner Toothpaste which I got from Dorwest Herbs - wouldnt say the dogs actually LOVE it - but will tolerate it being brushed in. :blink:

whippynit said:
Do you give the marrowbones raw? I was always told to boil them first to harden them so dont splinter. Is this right?
[SIZE=14pt]Most definitely RAW[/SIZE] :thumbsup:

I use chicken wings regularly, RAW marrow bones when I can get them, and a Fragaria tablet once a week. Seems to work .

Liz Third - what is a Fragaria tablet please?? :unsure:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back