The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cleaning Teeth..

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=14pt]Just bumping this up as I have a question [/SIZE] :thumbsup:

Does the bone from the inside of a leg of lamb joint class as a marrow bone?

I've got one here, just trimming off the lean meat for a curry :thumbsup: and the bone is about twice the thickness of my thumb, and packed full of marrow - but is the bone chunky enough not to splinter? :unsure:

The marrowbones I've given before are the thickness of someone's arm :lol: and this one is obviously a bit more delicate being from a young lambikins... :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree more than - the best way to clean your dogs teeth is with a good raw diet. Marrowbones are also guaranteed to keep mine quiet for hours if I need a bit of peace and quiet!!

I like to clean their teeth before shows, mainly to make sure that they have nice fresh breath. I make my own powder cleaner:

1 tbs. baking soda

1 drop clove oil

1 drop aniseed oil

mix together really well and always shake well before use. Store in a GLASS container, in a cool, dry place.

I apply with old towelling, it gets in between the teeth really well.

~Helen~ said:

I've got one here, just trimming off the lean meat for a curry :thumbsup: and the bone is about twice the thickness of my thumb, and packed full of marrow - but is the bone chunky enough not to splinter? :unsure:

The marrowbones I've given before are the thickness of someone's arm :lol: and this one is obviously a bit more delicate being from a young lambikins... :- "

just bumping this up again - should i give them the lamb bone or not? :blink: :unsure: maybe I'll just hook the marrow out and then boil the bone for stock :thumbsup:

~Helen~ said:
~Helen~ said:

just bumping this up again - should i give them the lamb bone or not? :blink: :unsure: maybe I'll just hook the marrow out and then boil the bone for stock :thumbsup:

dont know if thats how you'd class it, but amber LOVES her lamb leg bones. when we buy leg of lamb, we just get our butcher to 'butterfly' it and bag the bone up for her. theyre no good once cooked, as they become brittle. between her bones and her denta sticks, her teeth and jaw cant help but be strong and healthy.

:)) HOW OFTEN SHOUD YOU GIVE A MARROW BONE TO KEEP TEETH CLEAN.I FEED COMPLETE DOG FOOD ,SOAKED,WOULD IT BE A LOT BETTER DRY FOR THEIR TEETH.

Dry food doesn't keep teeth clean. Well, it keeps them cleaner than if fed only on tinned, but really it doesn't actually keep them clean. And if you soak it then even more of the 'crunching' that might help is lost.

I give marrowbones to my girls every couple of weeks through the summer (I don't allow mine to have them inside) and that pretty much does the trick. More often and year round would probably be better.

Wendy

Juley said:
Mazza, that was really interesting that you freeze the bones.  I have been using them but had read about a possible problem with beef and dogs so was having 2nd thoughts. I wondered if you could freeze them of if that would make them brittle.
I know from experiments in bone working that bone that has been frozen is nearly as soft as fresh bone. As long as the bones aren't left to dry, they should be fine.

Im quite lucky :D i have three good butchers where i can get meat and bones from,after reading about raw diet ive started to feed my two dogs and ive really seen the difference especially in my older whippets teeth she nearly six

The other day i ask for a marrow bone for the dogs and the butcher came out with the biggest bone ive ever seen ,he had to cut in half even then it was huge, but it kept the dogs quiet for ages :thumbsup:

I have recently given my lot Parma Ham Bones and beef hide, both do a great job on the teeth. The beef hide they chew and chew on for days.

I'm very lucky, our local butcher is brilliant and often saves me marrow bones or puts together a bag of things like chickens' necks and just asks for a donation to his charity box.

This week it was pigs' tails. I've never had them before, and have to admit I found them totally revolting :x The dogs, of course, adored them.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back