The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cost Of A Whippet Pup?

k4tie-d

StarR Collars
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi

i dont know if it has been asked before but i cant find it if it has, how much should you expect to pay for a puppy i know that if there pedigree or kc reg they will be more and that bitches are usualy be more than dogs but what is a average price for them.

before i found the k9community site, i did find epupz and places like that and there prices seem to be anywhere from £100 to £600, but thanks to some helpful advice on here from alot of members, i wont be going near any of these sites but i am now rather confussed about what to expect to pay for a puppy.

any advice would be helpfull. :thumbsup:

thanks

katie

x

Last edited by a moderator:
And, personally, I make no distinction in price between dogs and bitches ............ they cost the same to rear!!!

It does seem to vary throughout the country, i think the average is more like £400-£450 ??

dessie said:
And, personally, I make no distinction in price between dogs and bitches ............ they cost the same to rear!!!
yeah i know i found that a little funny but a lot had added an extra £50 to the price of there bitches?? not to sure why though, just assumed maybe there was more people asking for bitches than dogs and that was why??

xx

I would say between £400 - £600 seems to be pretty normal for a show bred whippet at the moment.

I do think there are several aspects you have to take into consideration as well ie: will the pup be vaccinated and/or microchipped & are these included in the price??

It is possible i guess in some cases that a pup that initially appears to be quite highly priced actually may be really quite averagely priced once you take off say £70 plus for vacs & another £30 for microchip. :blink:

nina said:
I do think there are several aspects you have to take into consideration as well  ie: will the pup be vaccinated and/or microchipped & are these included in the price??
It is possible i guess in some cases that a pup that initially appears to be quite highly priced actually may be really quite averagely priced once you take off say £70 plus for vacs & another £30 for microchip.  :blink:

thats a good point i mean i realised that vacs and things came into the price but never thought to check if some pups had more things like micro chips that made them that little bit more expensive.

thanks

:thumbsup:

~JO~ said:
nina said:
~JO~ said:
nina said:
I would say between £400 - £600 seems to be pretty normal for a show bred whippet at the moment.
£600 (w00t) (w00t)

Yep £600 & recently advertised on a well known site :- "

Wow, someone is really pushing it with that sort of price!!

That'll be someone who is breeding to make money :(

I still think each situation should be assessed individually before aspersions are cast that every person who charges x amount for a pup must just be doing it to make money.

Along with different inclusions as has already been stated like vacs & microchips, what about the breeder who has maybe paid out in excess of say £1000 - £2000 to import frozen semen & then obviously vet fee's for the procedure, because they were keen to bring in what they consider a great bloodline for whatever reason.

Or perhaps the breeder who has paid several thousand pounds to import a bitch or a dog for their breeding programme.

Or the breeder who has paid several hundreds of pounds to travel to Europe to use a specific dog plus the cost of the stud fee.

Now whilst any of the above breeders under these circumstances may not be out to "make money" in any way they also have to try & be sensible & at least charge a slightly higher fee for their pups because they have had to invest a considerable sum to incorporate those bloodlines & any potential puppy buyer is going to be getting those bloodlines for a hell of a lot cheaper than the breeder has had to pay out.

Yes unfortunately there will always be puppy farmers & back street breeders who are out just to make money we all know that but some situations are very different & i think its up to the puppy purchaser to ascertain if they think they are being charged a reasonable price or not & they always have the option to shop around.

nina said:
I still think each situation should be assessed individually before aspersions are cast that every person who charges x amount for a pup must just be doing it to make money.
Along with different inclusions as has already been stated like vacs & microchips, what about the breeder who has maybe paid out in excess of say £1000 - £2000 to import frozen semen & then obviously vet fee's for the procedure, because they were keen to bring in what they consider a great bloodline for whatever reason.

Or perhaps the breeder who has paid several thousand pounds to import a bitch or a dog for their breeding programme.

Or the breeder who has paid several hundreds of pounds to travel to Europe to use a specific dog plus the cost of the stud fee.

Now whilst any of the above breeders under these circumstances may not be out to "make money" in any way they also have to try & be sensible & at least charge a slightly higher fee for their pups because they have had to invest a considerable sum to incorporate those bloodlines & any potential puppy buyer is going to be getting those bloodlines for a hell of a lot cheaper than the breeder has had to pay out.

Yes unfortunately there will always be puppy farmers & back street breeders who are out just to make money we all know that but some situations are very different & i think its up to the puppy purchaser to ascertain if they think they are being charged a reasonable price or not  & they always have the option to shop around.

I agree with you Nik....now shall we run for cover!!!! :lol:

I think it is up to the individual to decide what they are or are not willing to pay,I personally would not mind paying that bit extra for a puppy if it were from lines that I particularly wanted and I knew about the kennel and breeder...and just for the record,I feel the same for "stud fees",it all just depends what you want and how badly you want it...after all no-one is going to force you to buy the more expensive pup,just go elsewhere if you feel aggrieved,the same could be said for people who disagree with breeders endorsing,it is simple if you don't like it go buy your puppy off someone who does'nt endorse. ;)

I dont know what the exchange rate is but for puppies we would

charge around 700.00 US + shipping if necessary -

puppies dont leave here before 12 weeks and

have had 3 sets of shots - are individually registered - house broken -

lead trained - have been on a table numerous times - are taken

everywhere we go (shows racing and coursing ) well socialized -

crate trained - wormed and vet checked several times -

we insist in our contract that the puppy be examined by the

purchaser's vet within 7 days and confirm that it is healthy -

we dont deposit funds until confirmation that the vet check is ok -

we test health of parents for Cardiac, and cerf and several other minor

things that always seem to be "within normal limits" whatever

that means - we will always take the dog back without question

should the owner not be able to keep it for as long as the dog lives -

cost for males or females - companion - or show priced the same -

dwight

so what yous are all saying is to find out all the things the pup has had done (vacs chips) make sure you take into consideration the bloodlines (so do your homework) and then if its in your budget and your happy then go for it.

oh man and here was me thinking find one that you think is cute and just pay what ever was asked lol

i shall be sitting down tonight and doing a bit more reserch into this i think. cause my hubby is not happy about spending hundreds of pounds on a pup where as i was of the thinking that if it was the right pup for us it didnt matter how much it was.

think i will need to make sure i know everything that pups can have done so that when we do find the right one i can explain to him it costs this much cause its had this this and this done.

thanks for all your help guys im really starting to understand how this all works now.

:thumbsup:

These days a lot of breeders 'home check' where their puppies are going to make sure they are suitable homes. Many don't actually visit you but be prepared to be asked a lot of questions about your home life. Of course some don't care and just want your cash.

The converse is also true. You should make sure you are happy with the breeder when you visit them.. making sure the puppy is healthy and clean, not just bedded in a cold shed on dirty shavings etc... You want an interested breeder who sounds happy to help out with your new family member if you need it. :thumbsup:

I think it is up to the individual to decide what they are or are not willing to pay,I personally would not mind paying that bit extra for a puppy if it were from lines that I particularly wanted and I knew about the kennel and breeder...and just for the record,I feel the same for "stud fees",it all just depends what you want and how badly you want it...after all no-one is going to force you to buy the more expensive pup,just go elsewhere if you feel aggrieved,the same could be said for people who disagree with breeders endorsing,it is simple if you don't like it go buy your puppy off someone who does'nt endorse. ;)

sorry but endorsing????? whats that? :wacko:

sorry but endorsing????? whats that? :wacko:

Some breeders endorse their pups registrations with the KC ie " not to be exported" or "progeny not to be registered" or "not to be shown".

Its generally to try & safeguard that a pup being purchased is not going to be used as a breeding machine or bred indescriminately or without the breeders consent or maybe exported out of the country or if sold as a pet only suddenly being shown some time later against the breeders wishes.

The breeder should ALWAYS make it clear BEFORE the sale of the pup if any or all of these endoresments apply to your puppy & should ask you to sign a contract confirming that you are aware of this & in full agreement :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back