The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cost Of A Whippet Pup?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
nina said:
I agree with you Nik....now shall we run for cover!!!! :lol:

I think it is up to the individual to decide what they are or are not willing to pay,I personally would not mind paying that bit extra for a puppy if it were from lines that I particularly wanted and I knew about the kennel and breeder...and just for the record,I feel the same for "stud fees",it all just depends what you want and how badly you want it...after all no-one is going to force you to buy the more expensive pup,just go elsewhere if you feel aggrieved,the same could be said for people who disagree with breeders endorsing,it is simple if you don't like it go buy your puppy off someone who does'nt endorse. ;)

sorry but endorsing????? whats that? :wacko:

Some breeders endorse their pups registrations with the KC ie " not to be exported" or "progeny not to be registered" or "not to be shown".

Its generally to try & safeguard that a pup being purchased is not going to be used as a breeding machine or bred indescriminately or without the breeders consent or maybe exported out of the country or if sold as a pet only suddenly being shown some time later against the breeders wishes.

The breeder should ALWAYS make it clear BEFORE the sale of the pup if any or all of these endoresments apply to your puppy & should ask you to sign a contract confirming that you are aware of this & in full agreement :thumbsup:

Thanks Nik...you beat me to the explaination. :thumbsup:

ah i see so i should ask about this when going to see pups or talking to breaders,

at the moment we are just looking for a family pet, but we would love to go along to a race and see what its all about so i wouldnt want to rule that out and as for breeding myself i dont think i could handle giving all the pups away im the type of person who whould just say lets keep them all, but the same again i wouldnt like to rule it out.

is there anything else i should be asking about?

iv noticed on here alot of people who have bread there pups have named them is this just so you know what one you are talking about or is this the name that you plan them to have for the rest of there lives??

my little girl is very excited on naming the pup but i wouldnt want to offened a breeder by changing its name?

:wacko:

[

quote=k4tie-d,Feb 1 2008, 12:48 PM]ah i see so i should ask about this when going to see pups or talking to breaders,

at the moment we are just looking for a family pet, but we would love to go along to a race and see what its all about so i wouldnt want to rule that out and as for breeding myself i dont think i could handle giving all the pups away im the type of person who whould just say lets keep them all, but the same again i wouldnt like to rule it out.

iv noticed on here alot of people who have bread there pups have named them is this just so you know what one you are talking about or is this the name that you plan them to have for the rest of there lives??

my little girl is very excited on naming the pup but i wouldnt want to offened a breeder by changing its name?

I dont think many breeders would ever make you keep the name they had perhaps given the pup before it left.

Its always nice for the new owner to choose their own name. Maybe in certain circumstances if it were an older pup who had remained with the breeder for a much longer period the breeder may feel it would be hard for the pup to have a change of name but i really feel most would leave it up to the new owner :thumbsup:

when we chose our pup, we named him otis, the breeder called him by his name from that day so he would start getting used to it :)

There is a lot who will charge more for a bitch which I think is terrible.

Sidney is KC reg and he cost us 350 :thumbsup:

AS for names both of my boys had their name picked before they were born so we told the breeders and from day dot they got called Sidney and Benjamin :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
nina said:
~JO~ said:
nina said:
I would say between £400 - £600 seems to be pretty normal for a show bred whippet at the moment.
£600 (w00t) (w00t)

There is a litter being advertised on Epupz at the moment for £600 a pup, plus also another ad for a year old bitch being advertised for £750!!!! (w00t)

yes i saw that too, i cant see them getting 750 pounds :- " i would give a year old one away to a nice home had i ran it on that long, it isnt a champion dam or sire either i enquired as i was so flabbergasted by the price she was asking lol

If you are in Wales prices tend to be a bit cheaper, mind that goes for most things. Looking to pay between £250-350 for a pup. Stud fees are cheaper as well

Regarding the 'endorsing'. Is it leagally binding - has it ever been tested in court? Surely once something has been sold it is up to the buyer what to do with it. For example if i bought an 'endorsed' puppy and then a few months later decided to give it to someone, who then decided to race/show/breed with it or indeed if someone sold a dog on to me I would want to do what I chose to do with it regardless of what the original breeder wanted. Who would come knocking on my door or the new owners door? The Kennel Club, the police, the breeder?

I have never bought a 'KC pedigree' animal and have no ambition to but am just interested in how enforcable these endorments are?

TTT said:
Regarding the 'endorsing'.  Is it leagally binding - has it ever been tested in court?  Surely once something has been sold it is up to the buyer what to do with it.  For example if i bought an 'endorsed' puppy and then a few months later decided to give it to someone, who then decided to race/show/breed with it or indeed if someone sold a dog on to me I would want to do what I chose to do with it regardless of what the original breeder wanted.  Who would come knocking on my door or the new owners door?  The Kennel Club, the police, the breeder?
I have never bought a 'KC pedigree' animal and have no ambition to but am just interested in how enforcable these endorments are?

If a KC registered puppy is endorsed & there is also a contract preferably drawn up by a solicitor also signed by the new owner then this endorsements will be upheld by the KC, meaning in your example you could sell the pup on to whoever you like BUT if they then mated it & tried to register the pups they would find they could not do so.

I would also hope that a signed contract would hold up in a court of law BUT i have no evidence of this, i dont know if anyone else has?

nina said:
[

quote=k4tie-d,Feb 1 2008, 12:48 PM]ah i see so i should ask about this when going to see pups or talking to breaders,

I dont think many breeders would ever make you keep the name they had perhaps given the pup before it left.

Its always nice for the new owner to choose their own name. Maybe in certain circumstances if it were an older pup who had remained with the breeder for a much longer period the breeder may feel it would be hard for the pup to have a change of name but i really feel most would leave it up to the new owner :thumbsup:

I like to choose my own names when I get a puppy, but as someone who has puppies, you have to call them something :thumbsup: so you tend to give them all a name to go by, with the ones who are keeping their name such as my own and Robbie which Tanya chose I have emphasised their name to them so they get used to it :D

I don't know of anyone who has made the new owners keep those names though :unsure:

with a boy as handsome as that , there was ONLY one name it could be!!! :wub: :wub: ROBBIE!!!!!!!! do you think i should call one of his teddys "jonathon" just like his namesake having a jonathon to keep him warm at night :- " :oops:

*Lesley* said:
nina said:
[

I like to choose my own names when I get a puppy, but as someone who has puppies, you have to call them something :thumbsup: so you tend to give them all a name to go by, with the ones who are keeping their name such as my own and Robbie which Tanya chose I have emphasised their name to them so they get used to it :D

I don't know of anyone who has made the new owners keep those names though :unsure:

This is slightly confusing. I am assuming you are refferring to the pet name. The registered name can't be changed(although there is a few exceptions)

If, as a breeder I call a pup a name I would like the people who have them change the name over to the new name gradually but this is when the pup is older than say 8 weeks. Occasionally the new owners know what they want to name the pup before they have it so I then start to use this new name.

Katied asked me this same question about naming the puppies too. Her husband had wondered why Sonia had named all the little Gem litter. I explained that usually you give the puppies a pet name, (that can be changed later) just really so everyone knows which pup is which- especially with a litter of 10.

I didnt pick Archies pedigree name ..the breeder did...although I did have an opportunity to change it but I didnt.

The breeder called my Ruby Daisy........but as i had my heart set on naming her Ruby

we changed it, However her KC name Remains Sanlirra Little Miss Daisy..........

I would always feel free to change a pup's name - and providing you are consistent they seem to pick up very quickly who you're talking about.

As pointed out above, it's the pet name rather than registered name, but as i'm very unlikely to call a dog it's full sunday best name around the house - i can't see that i'd feel the need to change this one.

That said, Digit was already Digit when he arrived - and as I liked the name I decided to keep it.

Bloggs was Blue previously, but I know soooo many Blue's (including a human person) that it would've been confusing to have another in my circle. So I kept the initial sound to make it easier for him.

T Hoare said:
*Lesley* said:
nina said:
[

This is slightly confusing. I am assuming you are refferring to the pet name. The registered name can't be changed(although there is a few exceptions)

If, as a breeder I call a pup a name I would like the people who have them change the name over to the new name gradually but this is when the pup is older than say 8 weeks. Occasionally the new owners know what they want to name the pup before they have it so I then start to use this new name.

Yes I mean pet names :thumbsup: I've chosen all their registered names ,although Tanya did ask if Robbies name could have a hint of his parents names in some where which I was happy to do :D

Yes I mean pet names :thumbsup: I've chosen all their registered names ,although Tanya did ask if Robbies name could have a hint of his parents names in some where which I was happy to do :D

I'm going to be really nosie now, but can I ask what some of the registered names are, sorry just interested :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back