The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Critiques, All Systems

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
T Hoare said:
UKUSA said:
Those wonderful dog people from the past, how we miss them. Joe Cartledge was another and Joe Braddon and then so many of the Grande Dames of the past. Maybe one day someone will put a book together about all these wonderful people.It would be wonderful to read their critiques today, I wonder what they would think of how the dog game has evolved since their day!

Nicky

Now I deffinately remember Joe Braddon, who wouldn't.

If there was a slightly 'larger' lady or gent in the ring he would often send them around the ring at least 1 extra time!!! :lol:

& he used to say things like go again sir/madam I might look at your dog this time not you!! :lol:

And how about...."you will do that triangle again, and again, until you do it correctly & I can see the dog as I want to see it".....I remember him saying that to a lady in front of me & I, not being the worlds bestest handler :- " , was feeling decidedly ill when it came to my turn :x

Bless him, I wonder what would happen if he was still with us today.

And from Patsys quotes on critiques I think my original question on comparing ones of yesteryear v today is partly answered :thumbsup:

And how about...."you will do that triangle again, and again, until you do it correctly & I can see the dog as I want to see it".....I remember him saying that to a lady in front of me & I, not being the worlds bestest handler :- " , was feeling decidedly ill when it came to my turn :x

Bless him, I wonder what would happen if he was still with us today.

And from Patsys quotes on critiques I think my original question on comparing ones of yesteryear v today is partly answered :thumbsup:

Oh my god I would die if that were me!

I'm terrified of handling at a little Open show, so can you imagine me in that situation!! :oops: :lol:

just wondering what paper you guys think is best for critiques - dog world or our dogs? do most peeps order both or just the one? i dont subscribe , i just tend to go in WHsmith have a flick throught both and if theres something i want to read i buy it :b

whippynit said:
just wondering what paper you guys think is best for critiques - dog world or our dogs? do most peeps order both or just the one? i dont subscribe , i just tend to go in WHsmith have a flick throught both and if theres something i want to read  i buy it :b
about 10 years ago I subscribed to both but it expensive to do that when a fair amount of the 'news' is duplicated.

I subscribe to Dog World but i have a feeling Our Dogs critiques seem to appear a week quicker???

T Hoare said:
whippynit said:
just wondering what paper you guys think is best for critiques - dog world or our dogs? do most peeps order both or just the one? i dont subscribe , i just tend to go in WHsmith have a flick throught both and if theres something i want to read  i buy it :b
about 10 years ago I subscribed to both but it expensive to do that when a fair amount of the 'news' is duplicated.

I subscribe to Dog World but i have a feeling Our Dogs critiques seem to appear a week quicker???

i buy dog world and a showing friend buys our dogs, we save our papers and swap when we go to ringcraft :lol:

UKUSA said:
Hi Molly, Ican understand what you are saying. In this country we kind of "grow up" with the critique thing but if it is something that you dont normally do Im sure that it must be daunting.Nicky

Molly did a very good job in Sweden!!!!!

If I remember correctly were you not present in Sweden also Nicky????

Henrik

I'm expecting my first critique to be published at any moment. (w00t) I hope they don't edit it and it reads OK. I'm more nervous about everyone reading it now than I was doing the judging! :thumbsup: :- " I could tell you why I made evryone of my placings, I'm just not sure that I got that over on paper!

I am loving the old stories, can we have more please. :thumbsup:

playawhile said:
UKUSA said:
Hi Molly, Ican understand what you are saying. In this country we kind of "grow up" with the critique thing but if it is something that you dont normally do Im sure that it must be daunting.Nicky

Henrik

Yes Henrik I was there and loved every minute of it, except of course the rain but I do love coming to Sweden it has to be one of my favorite places, love the people and the dogs.

On the critique front ,I have just read a critique that describes a dog as having "a sweeping keel"! Where in our standard is a keel, sweeping or otherwise, called for? Dachshunds have keels not Whippets!

Nicky

UKUSA said:
playawhile said:
UKUSA said:

Henrik

Yes Henrik I was there and loved every minute of it, except of course the rain but I do love coming to Sweden it has to be one of my favorite places, love the people and the dogs.

On the critique front ,I have just read a critique that describes a dog as having "a sweeping keel"! Where in our standard is a keel, sweeping or otherwise, called for? Dachshunds have keels not Whippets!

Nicky

No, that is NOT mine!!!!!! (w00t) :lol: :D :cheers:

interesting topic, the problem of no critiques is common in all breeds, out of the past 6 shows we have attended only 3 have bothered with a critique! judges forget that we the exhibitors are doing them a favour by entering under them, it costs enough money to show your dog so the disappointment at discovering the judge couldnt be bothered to do a C is quite a let down. I know my dogs faults but to the novice a C is a great source of information on both thiers and other peoples dogs (as well as being a good way of knowing who doesnt know one end of a dog from the other! or who likes thier own "type"),

I now make a point of not entering under a judge who cant be bothered to explain why they have placed the dogs they did

Juley said:
I'm expecting my first critique to be published at any moment.  (w00t)   I hope they don't edit it and it reads OK.  I'm more nervous about everyone reading it now than I was doing the judging!  :thumbsup:   :- " I could tell you why I made evryone of my placings, I'm just not sure that I got that over on paper! I am loving the old stories, can we have more please.  :thumbsup:

I know its not a whippet one but at one of my first shows a very elderly male judge asked me to do a triangle and on the way back I noticed he had his back to me!! I stood there waiting for him to turn around and when he did he said " I am terribly sorry about that but I was completely distracted by that lady`s chest!!" (w00t) I couldnt believe it, it was funny though he was at least 80yrs old

UKUSA said:
playawhile said:
UKUSA said:

Henrik

Nicky

What is a keel????

Henrik

playawhile said:
UKUSA said:
playawhile said:
UKUSA said:

Henrik

Nicky

What is a keel????

Henrik

Well Henrik whippets do not have a keel, it is a Dachshund that has a keel, so do not understand why a championship show whippet judge would even mention a keel on a whippet, if a Whippet had a keel its front assembly would be very wrong as they are not built to have one.

Yes Nicky I remember the rain well I got wet through judging best baby puppy in show, those poor little souls hated it,and I remember Christer being terrified that I WOULD NOT KNOW WHAT A GALGO WAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I remember Nicky being there at Tammsvik. If I am correct, didn't you and Patsy do the row, row, row the boat after the show in the rain??

I enjoy writing critiques. A judge should be able to justify his/her placements, and the exhibitors look forward to reading the reasoning behind their decisions.

It is a shame that the judges are not always requested to write a critique. As Gail said here in Oz, apart from our Specialty shows, judges don't have to write one.

However, now the ANKC require candidates to write critiques as apart of the judges training scheme, and the assessments are included in the marking of our exams.

Ms Molly said:
Yes I remember Nicky being there at Tammsvik. If I am correct, didn't you and Patsy do the row, row, row the boat after the show in the rain??
I enjoy writing critiques. A judge should be able to justify his/her placements, and the exhibitors look forward to reading the reasoning behind their decisions.

It is a shame that the judges are not always requested to write a critique. As Gail said here in Oz,  apart from our Specialty shows, judges don't have to write one.

However, now the ANKC require candidates to write critiques as apart of the judges training scheme, and the assessments are included in the marking of our exams.

MOLLY PLEASE PLEASE NEVER MENTION THAT BOAT AGAIN, WE WERE TOLD WE HAD TO GO ACROSS THE LAKE, THE DAM THING WAS A MAJOR SHIPPING LANE.

patsy said:
Ms Molly said:

It is a shame that the judges are not always requested to write a critique. As Gail said here in Oz,  apart from our Specialty shows, judges don't have to write one.

MOLLY PLEASE PLEASE NEVER MENTION THAT BOAT AGAIN, WE WERE TOLD WE HAD TO GO ACROSS THE LAKE, THE DAM THING WAS A MAJOR SHIPPING LANE.

And people were not exactly kind to you before you left, as you looked as you would have a nervous breakdown when everyone joked about that boat trip... :D :D

I looked up keel in a dictionary and I agree it is wrong to use that word and weird......

Another thing than enjoys me is judges (mostly from the continent) complaining about whippets having a eye color that is lighter than the coat, and that is also something the standard say is not correct :rant:

Henrik

playawhile said:
patsy said:
Ms Molly said:

It is a shame that the judges are not always requested to write a critique. As Gail said here in Oz, apart from our Specialty shows, judges don't have to write one.

And people were not exactly kind to you before you left, as you looked as you would have a nervous breakdown when everyone joked about that boat trip... :D :D

I looked up keel in a dictionary and I agree it is wrong to use that word and weird......

Another thing than enjoys me is judges (mostly from the continent) complaining about whippets having a eye color that is lighter than the coat, and that is also something the standard say is not correct :rant:

Henrik

Well Henrik as terrifying as that boat trip was, with Christer, Im sure trying to drown us and how Christer managed to get all of us plus luggage and dogs AND crates into this tiny boat that had a hair dryer for an engine! Well that was Nothing compared to the delights that awaited us on the island.All I will say is dont mention toilets to Patsy and I!!!!!!!!!

Nicky

Last edited by a moderator:
playawhile said:
patsy said:
Ms Molly said:

Henrik

correct again Henrik, bright and alert.

Henrik

Well Henrik as terrifying as that boat trip was, with Christer, Im sure trying to drown us and how Christer managed to get all of us plus luggage and dogs AND crates into this tiny boat that had a hair dryer for an engine! Well that was Nothing compared to the delights that awaited us on the island.All I will say is dont mention toilets to Patsy and I!!!!!!!!!

Nicky

Sorry, I have to ask. Did the boat have a keel, it makes them MUCH more stable?? (w00t) :lol: :p

I always think that when a judge mentions words like ,croup, keel, forechest "would prefer darker eye" etc in their critiques that they have nt read the standard. Single tracking is another one again where in our standard does it mention single tracking?

Nicky

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back