The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Critiques, All Systems

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My oldest male's first critique from a Champ show said 'would prefer a darker eye' - I was gutted :(

I wrote my first critiques last year, and took photo's and notes and then re-wrote them up by the next day. The papers printed them in their entirety however I think I possibly wrote toooo much :lol:

A part of a critique I read 'A well known Champion...' hmmm didn't like this at all

UKUSA said:
I always think that when a judge mentions words like ,croup, keel, forechest "would prefer darker eye" etc in their critiques that they have nt read the standard. Single tracking is another one again where in our standard does it mention single tracking?Nicky

Personally I see nothing wrong with "well known champion" being in a critique. What difference does that make?

Nicky

Juley said:
And people were not exactly kind to you before you left, as you looked as you would have a nervous breakdown when everyone joked about that boat trip... :D :D

I looked up keel in a dictionary and I agree it is wrong to use that word and weird......

Another thing than enjoys me is judges (mostly from the continent) complaining about whippets having a eye color that is lighter than the coat, and that is also something the standard say is not correct :rant:

Henrik

Well Henrik as terrifying as that boat trip was, with Christer, Im sure trying to drown us and how Christer managed to get all of us plus luggage and dogs AND crates into this tiny boat that had a hair dryer for an engine! Well that was Nothing compared to the delights that awaited us on the island.All I will say is dont mention toilets to Patsy and I!!!!!!!!!

Nicky

Sorry, I have to ask. Did the boat have a keel, it makes them MUCH more stable?? (w00t) :lol: :p

If the boat had a keel it was not much of one.

UKUSA said:
Personally I see nothing wrong with "well known champion" being in a critique. What difference does that make?Nicky

I just don't see the advantage of putting it in a critique that a dog is 'well known' - does it matter that it is well known or it isn't well known?

It doesn't do anything 'to paint a picture in words' of the dog, nor does it tell you about whay it was placed above or below another. So I don't personally think it has any value in a critique apart from perhaps to tell the reader that it has won plenty of times before

~JO~ said:
UKUSA said:
Personally I see nothing wrong with "well known champion" being in a critique. What difference does that make?Nicky

I just don't see the advantage of putting it in a critique that a dog is 'well known' - does it matter that it is well known or it isn't well known?

It doesn't do anything 'to paint a picture in words' of the dog, nor does it tell you about whay it was placed above or below another. So I don't personally think it has any value in a critique apart from perhaps to tell the reader that it has won plenty of times before

I suppose in a way its an acknowledgement and Im afraid that I do not see that it matters one way or another. If thats all the critique says well fair enough but if its an addition to the critique well why not?

Nicky

Sarsanet said:
You people in the UK are lucky to get critiques at all even if you have to wait a while for them. Here in Oz. we don't get them at all except at specialty shows. I recently attended two specialty shows over Easter. I hadn't seen the critiques written anywhere so I contacted the secretary of the club & asked where I could get a copy. She said she would get back to me WITH THE PRICE I HAD TO PAY TO RECEIVE THEM!! I said I wouldn't pay anything to read them so they haven't been sent to me.So, you lucky lot, think on that next time you look in Dog World.

Gail

I think if you look at the cost of subscribing to these magazines, you'll see that they ARE paying for their critiques :- "

Have we not digressed somewhat? This thread was about Critiques.

Although I find what your saying interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
T Hoare said:
Have we not digressed somewhat? This thread was about Critiques.
Although I find what your saying interesting.

Have moved the 'off topic' posts back into the UK/USA topic thread. Sorry, hadn't even occurred to me before reading this as threads do tend to morph and change, but yes, as there's one already running they've been moved over there.

Wendy

I have tried to find some old critiques, with 'funny' bits in but the few I have are not quirky, Sorry.

UKUSA said:
I always think that when a judge mentions words like ,croup, keel, forechest "would prefer darker eye" etc in their critiques that they have nt read the standard. Single tracking is another one again where in our standard does it mention single tracking?Nicky

Agree with these comments Nicky but would admit to using the term croup verbally myself as I feel it is a general 'dog' term & one that comes up in a variety of publications & glossary of terms. In fact I have just found it in The Whippet Handbook by W.Lewis Renwick under glossary of terms. Interestingly it also lists the UK/USA standards & some pedigrees of some of the old Ch's.

Interesting comment on critiques made by Peggy grayson in her book;

"Do not fall into the category of those who report every dog as 'nice coat, good body, moved well', being frightened to commit their findings to print. If you are prepared to go in a ring and judge dogs then you must be prepared to justify your placings".

Interesting.

anniewhippet said:
UKUSA said:

Agree with these comments Nicky but would admit to using the term croup verbally myself as I feel it is a general 'dog' term & one that comes up in a variety of publications & glossary of terms. In fact I have just found it in The Whippet Handbook by W.Lewis Renwick under glossary of terms. Interestingly it also lists the UK/USA standards & some pedigrees of some of the old Ch's.

"Do not fall into the category of those who report every dog as 'nice coat, good body, moved well', being frightened to commit their findings to print. If you are prepared to go in a ring and judge dogs then you must be prepared to justify your placings".

Interesting.

How right she is Annie. I still feel that you can be honest without being rude or hurtful.

Nicky

UKUSA said:
anniewhippet said:
UKUSA said:

Interesting.

How right she is Annie. I still feel that you can be honest without being rude or hurtful.

Nicky

Is the word croup not a Point of The Dog, it's in Phil Moran Healy's book page 17. Sometimes when you are reading critiques you know what a judge means, even if they are not quoting directly from the standard, I think it often shows their greater knowledge, rather than their lack of it.

Jenny

Scudder said:
Speaking of critiques...our critique is up from the American Whippet Club National.
AWC National Critique - EWhippetZine

Karen (seaspotrun) and I have the winners of the 12-18 class and the lure coursing dog class.

Kristen

Thank you for posting the link, I like the presentation of the critique with pictures alongside making for interesting reading :thumbsup: and well done to you & Karen.

anniewhippet said:
Scudder said:
Speaking of critiques...our critique is up from the American Whippet Club National.
AWC National Critique - EWhippetZine

Karen (seaspotrun) and I have the winners of the 12-18 class and the lure coursing dog class.

Kristen

Thank you for posting the link, I like the presentation of the critique with pictures alongside making for interesting reading :thumbsup: and well done to you & Karen.

That is great reading - really enjoyed it and some wonderful whippets, really like Tivio's falling into place

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back