The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you show your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Showing' started by Josie, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

I don't know much about showing dogs. I once took Dennis to a local dog show thinking it would be something a bit fun and then soon realised I was out of my depth when I saw the judge giving their full inspection!

Does anyone show their dog frequently? and competitively?

Would love to know a bit more about the process and what is involved!

Violet Turner likes this.
  2. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I used to, when Jasper was very young. Lurcher showing is a bit different to pedigree showing though - you tend to be out in a cold field for starters, and it's all a bit more informal. The first one, which was in the New Forest, I was rather shocked to hear a message come over the tannoy: 'Please keep your dogs on lead at all times. We have marksmen standing at each corner of the field...':eek::eek::eek: (The background was that in the past dogs had gone awol and reduced the local deer population.)

Jasper got a few rosettes, but sadly he didn't have the right mental attitude. He would get completely overwhelmed and start leaping around all over the place and jumping up at me, really embarrassing me - particularly when his breeder was in the next ring with J's sister who went on to win 'Best puppy in show'.

Lurcher shows tend to have separate categories based on gender, coat type and height. I don't think we went to one show when OH didn't crack a joke about wanting a rough bitch under 24:D

Josie likes this.
  3. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Oh gosh - marksmen :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Oh yes I can imagine if a whole group of Lurchers went awol though!

That's always the way though @JudyN - They always do it when you don't want them to!

4. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

I have shown Folly and she did ok, but she never really enjoyed it and have to admit I am not comfortable being watched closely which I guess fed down to her. Then we tried racing and it was obvious from the start that was what she wanted to do.

Violet Turner, Whippylove and Josie like this.
  5. Terv2015

Terv2015 Member Registered

IMG_20171229_0001_20171229163733600.jpg I show Niko at American Kennel Club shows. It was not my original intention but his breeder asked me to consider it so here we are LOL. I still get a bit nervous sometimes but it can be fun. I took handling classes nearby when he was a puppy. I feel we have gotten a bit better as Niko matured and I got some more miles under my belt. If you are interested in trying it, I would say go to a class and watch people at shows. Most of all have fun with your dog because that is what all of it should be about. If you want more info about how you get points and championships etc, I would be happy to try and give more info :) Here are Niko and I at a show in Philadelphia a few months ago. He won his class for digs that aren't champions yet

6. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

He's stunning!

Terv2015 likes this.
  7. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

He is sooooo fluffy ! :)

Terv2015 likes this.
  8. Roxycav

Roxycav Member Registered

I have shown Cavaliers for around 15 years. I also judge most toy breeds.
    What a lovely Terveuren. I had a lovely Groenendael boy but I lost him to cancer aged about 8. I miss have the BSDs

9. PWDmum

PWDmum Active Member Registered

Yes I love showing my boy In the ring , and then his usual idiotic self

A9C32231-807B-4C6C-8018-529C261FFBFA.jpeg BF09BC7E-E7E1-4926-8DD0-C53027843C39.jpeg

10. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

I used to take our battersea mongrel to local exemption shows she loved the attention and pranced like a diva. She won several rosettes. But after that I never have and have no interest in doing so . Im not really into what other people think about my dog .. I know hes wonderful. Lol

leashedForLife and Violet Turner like this.
  11. PWDmum

PWDmum Active Member Registered

Lovely dog ...

12. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

I showed my 1st dog in Obedience, but he was a crossbreed, so not in the breed ring.

I showed my Akita several times, & she enjoyed it - i trained her with a clicker for many things, the breed ring included, & my handling-class instructor pooh-poohed the whole idea UNTIL she saw my 8-MO bitch self-stack immediately with a hand-cue... :p then she wanted to know how the H*** i'd done that. :D

- terry

13. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

I have done obedience and agility, (wish I was still fit enough to do agility). And the dogs loved it. I have shown Folly in confirmation shows but I wasn't happy therefore she wasn't. She did ok winning some classes but we stopped.

Violet Turner and leashedForLife like this.