The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dog groomers restraining dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by JacksterCo, May 19, 2018.

1. Jack-Russell-Lover

Jack-Russell-Lover Well-Known Member Registered

At our salon, we use as little restraint as possible, the more you restrain them, the more they struggle. We have a strap around the dogs neck just to make sure they don't try to jump off the table but most of the time that's it! We do have muzzles for dogs that hate being groomed, we only use them when necessary and also have a sling, it is supposed to have a calming effect on the dog, we have used it in the past for nail clipping but also only when necessary. The dogs are free to sit or lie down if they want and no way would we ever put them in a head lock no matter how difficult they were being!!! :O we even have some dogs that are so good they don't even need the neck strap on!
    We've even had dogs that are so nervous that we've had to do half the groom one day and the rest another so as not to stress them out too much. We also only ever have one person's dog(s) on the premises at a time so no waiting in cages all day, the dogs arrive, are groomed and then head home. :)

2. Jack-Russell-Lover

So funny that I saw this thread today because I actually used the sling today!
    For a Bichon with three legs, obviously it's a bit awkward to trim around the legs and feet since I'd need to pick each foot up and I can't expect her to balance on two legs! It came in really handy for a little bit of support for her :) another reason for using a sling.
    I took a picture @leashedForLife
    IMG_20180619_151303.jpg

3. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

thank U, thank U, thank U! - @Jack-Russell-Lover , that's great! :)
    She looks very relaxed & calm - aware, but not at all stressed.

I'm going to look for U-S retailers - i've literally never heard of them, B4, but they sound like an excellent idea.
    - terry

4. Jack-Russell-Lover

No problem :)
    Yeah she was a really good girl, it's a brilliant thing to have!

Nanny71 and leashedForLife like this.
  5. leashedForLife

for those who find some dogs difficult to groom, how about cats?!

This clip is about a book written by a UK cat-groomer. // Grooming a small animal with needlelike teeth & 20 claws is a whole 'nother level of complications, & if U've never seen a cat in complete freak-out, count yerself lucky.
    :D

- terry

6. Jack-Russell-Lover

Oh god, I'd never try to groom a cat! They're evil when they wanna be!

leashedForLife and Violet Turner like this.
  7. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

We had a cat called Claudius, he was a semi long haired ginger tom. One day he came home covered, (well ok part covered), in some veg oil, we showered him with dog shampoo, (all we had). Then groomed him it was a total nightmare. I was designated to hold him while my wife did the work, it was very hard but we managed. Mind I think it took him a week to forgive me, but he forgave my wife straight away.

8. Nanny71

Nanny71 Well-Known Member Registered

Your dog is gorgeous, what is it?

Violet Turner likes this.
  9. Nanny71

Use the spray in the car when we are going on holiday Dudley has never liked being in the car, when he was little he used to vomit Vet suggested the spray and not feeding him before we went on a journey. She also said it may be because I took him in the car to the vet and he associated it with unpleasant things. Like injections and being spayed. We did change vet only because we could get one within walking distance. Oddly he likes going in that particular vets, go in quite often to weigh him (my paranoia) He travels well in the car too.

leashedForLife likes this.
  10. Nanny71

Sounds like my groomer. I stay with him while he is being groomed. She has me as her last customer of the day as she says having an easy dog to groom last makes the day better. We also have a cup of tea and a natter while Dudley plays with her dog.

11. Nanny71

Years ago we had two persians, one was a joy to groom the other was evil personified. We used to wrap him in a towel and brush a bit at a time. He was actually the cat from hell permanently but we loved him

12. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

I've fought (not quite literally) with a Birman cat who hates being groomed for two decades, despite getting him as a kitten and trying to make it enjoyable for him. Finally, I can manage it - because he's too old to put up much of a fight! Even bathing him is a doddle nowadays.

13. Jack-Russell-Lover

Hahaha, awww bless him, he can't be bothered anymore!

Of course there are some cats who love being groomed! When I was younger my dad took in a stray one-eyed cat that kept coming to his for food. He was so nervous at first, couldn't get near him, he'd just eat the food my dad left him and go but gradually he came closer and closer to the door and eventually he let us stroke him. He turned out to be the sweetest cat ever! I would brush him and he'd love it so much that he'd lean into the brush until he fell backwards :D:D
    Miss him so much, he was the best cat!

14. Jillian Danson

Jillian Danson Member Registered

She is Bungle, my 10 year old westie and thank you x

15. Jillian Danson

Hi Terry, the girls got groomed today and the groomer bought the website details for the harness it is www.technogroom.co.uk/catalog/lips-hammock-p-103
    I promised I would get it for you. Hope it helps - Jill x

16. Jillian Danson

P.s. my girls love it and Diane is amazed at the difference when clipping their feet

17. Jillian Danson

I saw Bungle in her sling today and she loved it! Looked at me as if to say “Do you mind, this is my pamper session”

18. leashedForLife

wonderful, thank U, @Jillian Danson , & please thank the groomer, too - it was very kind of her to take the trouble. :)

- terry

19. leashedForLife

it's missing one important bit -

LIPS Hammock

... the suffix, otherwise U get "404 / page not found". :)

20. Barnyboy

Barnyboy Member Registered

I flipping well hope not, if they can't do the groom then they should leave it ask owner for suggestions.

Sezzy and Jack-Russell-Lover like this.