The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Talk

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
J.T. said:
Hebe can find a particular toy out of the toy box, I say, Wheres...??? & then either tuggy, bally, BIG bally, piggy, squid (this is actually an octopus but she knows it as Squid :- " ) etc..Blankie...& she'll pull the throw off the settee & lie on it

In the kitchen if I've got my hands full I say "shut the door" & she'll push it to with her nose.

She knows any word to do with food :- "

Scrumpy knows the name of her best friend "Tanner" & quite a few other words.

Rafferty doesn't even know his name some days but his all time favoutite word is "Bedtime" -_-

Say Walkies & he'll sneak off into his basket & hope we forget to take him

Say Dinner & he may just get out of bed to see if it's worth eating

Say "Bedtime for Bedlingtons" & he's up those stairs like a flash :wub:

Hehe....love the "bedtime for bedlingtons"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alfie knows

Sit, Wait, Speak, Down, Paw, Dog!, In your basket!, Garden, Walkies, Would you like?, Shall we go?, Park, Guests, Biscuit?, Micheal Squirrel, Oh My God!, Le chat (cat), Le chat orange (fox) :lol: , I think that's about it, he probably knows everything we say..... :*

My two's favourite words are:

Dinner,biscuit and breakfast.

They also know the "names" of some of their toys:

Monkey Monkey

Audrey (don't ask!!)

One legged lion (no explanation nessessary)

Ballie( Ball on a rope)

Others include: Sit, down, stay, wait, come, leave, cats, hedgehogs, who's that?, bed, stand, good boy, speak (Josh only), paw, bath, no.

I am sure there are more but my mind has gone blank!

Sit, down, stand, wait, stay, come, heel, close, back (left turn) walk with me, dinner, walk, where's the toy, ball, hold, fetch, give, gently, leave, through, paw, and the other one, take a bow, touch, speak, walk back (for walking backwards) on your bed, get off (mummy's bed!) in the car, quickly (pee on command) :- "

Plus agility commands such as over, weave, walk on, left, right, here, up etc.

Uh-uh - with shaking of head - roughly translated as I wouldn't do that if I were you :angry:

:thumbsup: What a good boy :thumbsup: - used A LOT - as I am a great believer in positive re-inforcement :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And lastly 'Eat' - on the rare occasions my husband feeds him he actually gives him a command to eat - slightly unneccessarily in my view! :lol:

I once met a wonderful cocker spaniel trained by Support Dogs to assist her disabled owner who knew over 100 commands, and that included loading and unloading the washing machine, and letting herself into the back garden for a wee and back again, and shutting the door behind her!! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine have all pretty much got the hang of 'Oi'. :D

In fact I think poor Taz thought his name was 'Oi' when he first came here (w00t)

Zephyr said:
And lastly 'Eat' - on the rare occasions my husband feeds him he actually gives him a command to eat - slightly unneccessarily in my view! :lol:

That reminds me; Milly-lab, being a fully trained gun-dog, knows far more than the whippies and iggies. Or at least she responds to more!!!

They don't know the names of their different toys but Milly can pick out individual toys like ball, chicken!, teddy, sock, slipper!, but we can send her to pick up just about anything!. I get her to help clear up the garden of toys in the summer evenings!

She also waits to eat - she sits when I put her dish down and won't touch it until I say 'take it!' We can balance a biscuit on her head too! :lol: :lol:

One of my favourite games is 'dropping' something when we're out for a walk and then sending her back to find it. She goes wappy for this if she even suspects you've dropped something... "send me!!" "send me!!" "send me!!" waggy waggy waggy-tail :lol: :lol:

I did do competition level obedience with Zinzin when she was younger and she knew how to do proper heelwork, recalls, stays, retrieves and had started on scent retrieves too. I was so proud of her but she's forgotton most of it now (she had a nasty fright at a competition and it spooked her completely so she 'retired' after her second competition :( ) She will do her heelwork as a party piece though :thumbsup: :huggles:

The one word that drives all the dogs into a howling frenzy though is 'DADDY' for when OH comes home from work (w00t) :wub: :huggles: :huggles:

Max and Tiny know quite a few:

Their names obviously!

Sasha (cat)

Good Boy

No

Give me a cuddle

Let's go (for a walk)

Come here (usually ignored)

Waiting

Stop

Stand

Where's Daddy/ monster / monkey / spider / Homer (different toys)

Squirrel

Cat

Fox

Dog

Show me your hurtie

Max / Tiny go wee wee / poo poo

Drop it!!!!!

Back up (for when they are in the way)

In the car

Leave it!!!!

Dinner time

Do you want a yummy (pig's ear etc)

Who's that?

Budge up

Bath time (then they run a mile!)

Nanny Matthews is on the phone (my mother)

Thank you

Please

Stop shouting

What lovely singing (Tiny likes singing! :wub: )

Look at these pictures of Zoomie!!!!!!

And probably some more but I can't think of any at the moment.

Hi All, My name is Sue and I currently have Minnie (Sunday name Minstrel) she is just over two a Collie Whippet cross and fantastic.

She is very smart (When she chooses).

She knows Walk and has now also sussed us spelling W A L K.

She knows dog as every time you mention dog she looks at you as if to say I know you are talking about me.

She knows wimmin which is swimming and also knows bath which she hates! How she can love stinky cold water but hate baths beats me!

She knows which toy I want her to fetch me blue ball, duck, two ball etc.

She also knows rolly over, get your tail, paw, pray, sit lay down etc.

Can't think of all the rest just normal really like Dad Mum Josh, Smirnoff (Hamster) etc

Regards Sue

clairej810 said:
Max and Tiny know quite a few:
Nanny Matthews is on the phone (my mother)

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t) I've loved this thread, but that just takes the biscuit :wacko:

I can't stop laughing :blink: As soon as I stop typing or reading, I just keep thinking about you saying this to your dogs and it's cracking me up (w00t)

Great thread ........Right my lot know all of their own names and also know the other pack members names including ours, Benjamin, Mummy, Daddy and granny :b

They all know the usual come, sit, down, stay, flat, wait, stay, leave it, off, no etc as well as .....Frisbee, ball, ba ba, sheepy, teddy, find him, fetch, hold it, ta, mouse, cats, C.A.T.S, stick, Num Nums (most important word of all) ......Hungry in your tummies, nay nays = nail cutting time :lol: .....Racing fast today = going racing, bed, in, up, quicky wee wee's, up the field, vets, van, nicely, steady, raggy raggy, over, under, hup hup, get it get it, teeth, stand and a few more .......They are on a par with my obedience collie but better looking and more able :eek: :lol:

our beddie x whippet honey knows many words eg

honey bed time(did you say cheesey biscuits?)

sit honey (if i must for a cheesey biscuit)

give paw honey(i hope im getting 2 cheesey biscuits for this trick!)

outside for a wee honey (is it a treasure hunt for a packet of cheesey biscuits)

give me a kiss honey(i will do anything for you,by the way have you got any of those cheesy biscuits left!!!!)

at the end we just get a stare which says take that as a no then!!!!!!!!

tessa

This is a cool thread :thumbsup:

Walkies

Cats

Din dins

Sausages

Chinese

Bed

Daddy

Racing

Wee wee's

Hup - when I want them to jump over something :p

And the coolest thing. They both have songs as their racing names, so if they here Dancing Queen or Brown Eyed Girl playing, their ears go up and they tilt their heads and start to bark :lol:

There are loads, we have one clever whippet and one dense one (I shan't elaborate as to which is which).

THE MOST IMPORTANT is Pigs Ear

Mummy, Daddy, Oliver, Nanny, Gamps, do fast running today, biscuit, din dins, eggy peggy, walkies, common, would you like, park, ball, fetch, bring it here, good boy, bad boy, naughty, sit, speak , down, heel, come here, car, hup, get in, get here, get off, no, sad chair, sweetie, shift yer bum. Amongst others.............And a whole host of words that would get me banned from the internet (w00t)

Cant add anymore words to the list apart from...

Who wants to....(go for a walk)

and

In the car.

But Tie can tell the time :p Every night at 10.30pm she gets off the sofa and reminds us it's time to lock the gate and let her have a last wee. It's her job 8)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back