The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Have you used Germolene on any of your pets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adrian P

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Dogs and Germolene WARNING

My 8 3/4 year old cat recently died from toxic poisoning a few days after I applied Bayer's Germolene. There was no warning whatsoever on either the tube or box against using on animals, so I presumed it was entirely safe.

Germolene is for human use so would not have a warning sign for animals ....that is why it is important to use products specifically for our pets unless you know a human product is safe ....
I am sorry your cat has died :(:(

Thanks for the sympathy. There was nothing to say it was only for use on humans. It just said, "Apply to skin."

It's a generally accepted rule that medications sold for humans should only be used on humans - there are several, such as paracetamol, that could be downright dangerous for an animal. And conversely, there are medications that are safe in animals that would be dangerous for humans if given at proportional dosages.

I am very sorry that you have found this out the hard way :-(

How can anyone know if something is only for humans if it doesn't say so and also doesn't warn of a particularly toxic main ingredient?

You need to look at it from the other direction. Unless you are advised by a vet that something is safe, assume it isn't. But I'm afraid a quick online search shows phenol is toxic to cats, and Germoline contains 1.2% phenol.

I'm sorry too, for your loss.

Last edited:
You need to look at it from the other direction. Unless you are advised by a vet that something is safe, assume it isn't. But I'm afraid a quick online search shows phenol is toxic to cats, and Germoline contains 1.2% phenol.

I'm sorry too for your loss.

I had no time to go to the vets. He needed emergency clean-up of his wounds. I did check both the tube and the box and there was zero warning about use on animals

I have a first aid kit just for my dogs ...its really worth having one for these kinds of emergencies...

No time to take your cat to the vet. :rolleyes: We will always find time to take our pets to the vet.

I had no time to go to the vets. He needed emergency clean-up of his wounds

Then maybe just a little salt water would have been better and safer to bathe any wounds, until you did have time to get to your cat to the vet. :oops:

Oops ! no sorry there will not be any such instructions on the packet.

Should always check first

They don’t have only for humans on bars of Dairy milk or other products like that ,can always Google to see what is safe or not safe.
I agree alway have time to take my pets to the vets..I did not go into work for a few hours once as I had to take my pet to the vets.

Last edited:
I DID got to the vets the next day. I don't have my own transport and cabs are very expensive where I live and take too long to book and come anyway

Well that's another important thing to campaign and pressure for!

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat Adrian, that's a terrible thing to happen. You were doing what you thought was the right thing, and have rightly publicized it on here.

It might help others to know that cats are particularly susceptible to absorbing chemicals through their skin. There are lots of products (such as boric acid lint) that are safe for dogs but not for cats.

You did say you didn’t have time to go to the vets,,not that you don’t have your own transport.

and campaign for what? And Why?

again sorry for your loss

In you first post you say that your cat died a few days after you applied the Germolene from toxic poisoning. In another post you said that you DID take the cat the very next day !
Maybe I have misunderstood your posts.

It's always a great loss when we loose a pet whether it is because of something we have done or not.

He tragically died four days after being bitten. He went to the vet the day before for something else and the next day because of the bite

Thanks for highlighting that Germolene is toxic to cats,,I suppose it is for dogs as well,,but would not use it.

Do anyone know what is safe for our cats/dogs what we humans use on us.just a thought .

You may find it useful to have a first aid box for your pets with dressings and topical creams for animals ...I always keep hibiscrub in case a wound needs flushing and piriton in case of an allergic reaction....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back