The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog's Names

Lal

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
People are always suprised when they hear my dog's name. He's Rifle..... His name was chosen, as a hound name, much as they choose names in foxhound kennels (he has a very posh registered name though lol!!). My son wanted a pair and wanted to call them Rifle and Bullet, sadly didn't quite work out as planned. But Rifle he is.. he will 'rifle' through anything, be it my sock drawer, the waste paper bin etc. His first friend was a blue whippet, sadly no longer with us, called Swipe, again the 'hound name' influence (he belonged to a friend who was a huntsman).

Just wondering, how do you choose your dog names?

One day I would love to have another whippet, woke up the other morning having had a dream where I'd got a whippet bitch and called her 'Mildred Hubble' (anybody familiar with 'The Worst Witch' books will recognise it!) Had to LOL at the idea of calling her at Druridge Bay where we walk!!!!

So how, when confronted by a pudgy ball of cuteness, do you choose the name you will call him/her by for the rest of their lives?

Some names I've really thought about and some have just jumped into my head. Chelsea was Chelsea as soon as she was dry after being born. I just picked her up, looked at her and said "You're a Chelsea". It was not a name that had occured to me before that time. It was the same with her daughter Layla. I thought long and hard about Layla's son before settling on Dino. His show name is That's Amore and I have been a huge Dean Martin fan since I was a child. Cash is so named because he is an import and cost a lot and also because he's black & white and Johnny Cash was known as "the man in black". Mirra (mirror) is a reflection of her Aunty Aime.

I chose Sada because it was different, i didnt know anyone with a dog called that.

The others were chose to keep in with the double A of Sada.

Other names i've choosen are Bonnie for a Chinchilla born on Bonfire night and

Asher who i brought from the money i saved when i quit smoking. Oh and there's

Mac and Tam who came down from Scotland.

Lastly i have two identical Degu's who are named Pete and Repete :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Choosing a name in this house consists of me suggesting names to my husband and him saying , no I don't like that !

For our little puppy Evie I had suggested hundreds all of which had been rejected . We were travelling to the Isle od Man on Christmas Eve and we stopped at a service station . I was looking around the shop and I say a big stand with childrens mugs on . One name just jumped out at me , Evie . I suggested this when I went back to the car . Couldn't believe it when my husband said that's nice I like that !

So that was her name chosen ( it was also Christmas Eve ! )

My rescue whippet Dina already had her name when I got her so I didn't want to change it .

My son chose my lurcher's name Lizzie .

My poodle is called Fern as she is silver and the silver fern is the emblem of New Zealand where my son now lives :thumbsup:

Bobby came to me as a tiny, tiny rescue (just to be fostered until I found him a home :- ). His little legs were white and he looked like he was wearing 'bobby socks' so Bobby he became. We still sometimes call him Bobby Socks (among other things!!).

Dolly's registered name is Selinko Spanish Doll, so Dolly was an obvious choice. I think it really suits her as she is quite petite, but a bit of a madam.

Remmy came to me already with her name.

I like the fact that all three names end in y and have a double consonant in the middle. :thumbsup:

If I choose my next dog's name it will probably be Lilly :wub: but as it is more likely to be a rescue she may already have a name. :thumbsup:

I chose Oscars name simply because I liked it... :lol: :thumbsup: and Kobi I found on a dog names website and like it too....funnilly enough didnt know

anyone with a dog named Kobi....then low and behold I found out that Richard who also has one of Kobis half brothers...called him Kobi too...how strange...

and the neighbours who have just moved in next door...have just called their new rescue dog KOBI too... :wacko:

Archie ....went through several names...he was going to be Solo...or Arrow...then plumped with Archie. :thumbsup:

Callie was just always Callie, it just fitted! :wub:

For Penny we were watching tv trying to find a good name and it was from a character in Lost (Also Penny Pocket from Balamory as my 2yr old daughter pointed out at the time!) :teehee:

Murphy was chosen by me at the disgust of my hubby and kids who wanted to call him Kipper :wacko: (Can you imagine?!!)

Billy and Verity were already named when they came at ages between 6 and 9 months old ;) We were happy enough with their names and kept them...

Alfie was called Aubrey and my husband flatly refused to be standing on a beach calling 'Aubrey', (he is a Yorkshireman after all) so we had to change it- he answered to Alfie so we stuck with that. My little boy was quite disappointed though, as he liked Alfie being Aubrey the Strawberry :blink:

ruby and stars mum was called gem so all the girls in the litter were named after gem stones,

as the name ruby was already on our short list of names ruby stayed ruby,

Ruby, Rubs, Rubydoo

Star was originally twinkle, to which there was no way we could shout on a twinkle in the park :teehee:

after a few hours debate and her being called Cinderella for all of 5mins, we settled on Star, which took about a week to get from calling her twinkle - twinklestar - star.

Star, Starry

Smokey was smokey from day one and we thought it was a bit different and nice, so no point in changing it.

Smokey, Smokey kokie, Smokes

so really technically we didnt name any of the dogs :blink:

but we named the cats

Flip was after the djs Flip and Fill, how sad eh :>

and Spoon, used to say that you were a spoon if you were a bit thick and well shes not the brightest cat weve ever had so we originally called her that as joke and it ended up just sticking :b

Hi, some names just come into your head when you see the puppy for the first time.

My shetland sheepdog had fur the colour of Suzi Quatro's hair so she became Suzi. The next dog was called Napoleon but I renamed him Lad, then came Megan, the springer/collie, don't know where those two names came from. Drake who is a Lab/collie cross was a water lover so he was named for Sir Francis Drake - an old sea dog. Thorn the cocker spaniel is chocolate with white markings and looked like a hand decorated Thorntons Chocolate. Puck is my fey fairy dog and was named for Puck of Pooks Hill by Rudyard Kipling from Puck in Midsummer Nights Dream.

I think names can also depend on breed. The mini wire dachshunds are so small but so self confident, even self important, that they seemed to need names with some weight and gravitas, like, for example, Digby and Wilbur (the only dachsie we have left now). Although Jago the dachshund was the first of our dogs to have a Celtic name.

The whippets seemed to need 'lighter' names. And all their names are Celtic. Finn was named for Fionn mac Cumhail/Finn McCool, the mythical Irish hunter warrior ... it was a name I had always liked and it seemed apt for a whippet :thumbsup: Tyg (pronounced ty-g not tig) is a form of Tadhg and although many sources give it as an Irish name meaning poet or storyteller it almost certainly originally meant badger, which seemed to suit his colouring ;) Taran is Welsh for thunder (so it's probably our fault he's so noisy, he's just living up to his name :teehee: ) but as he's a Scot by birth we also named him for Taran Mor, Taran Meadhain and Taran Beag, bleakly beautiful hills on the Isle of Harris!

When Sarah and Bob were naming Lola's pups for ease of identification and asked me to choose a name it was my preference for Celtic names that led me to suggest Celt. Wonder if he will keep that name :) And little David will probably find himself called by a Celtic variant of David when he joins our pack. Even the kennel name I am currently choosing will be Celtic ... I think I just like the sound of Gaelic words :D

I'm enjoying reading these!

Grover (blue and white whippie) was named after the blue muppet off Sesame Street and it couldn't be more apt, because he is just a blue muppet :teehee: We were originally only getting one pup but then once we had decided to have two I had to think of another name. I went through loads of baby name/ dog name websites but then 'Roscoe' popped into my head as it's the name of one of my favourite songs. I think the two names sound nice together and when I looked them up, they both mean things to do with trees (Grover as in 'grove of trees' and Roscoe means 'deer wood')

My ginger tom cat is called Gus, from 'Fergus' meaning the 'red haired one'

I've also had a big black Weimaraner/ Lab cross called Brecon as she was a 'Black Mountain (geddit?). I had a white hamster called Snowdon, inkeeping with the mountain theme, as he looked like he'd been 'snowed on'. As a student I had rats called Ren and Stimpy, and Russian hamsters called Lotus and Cannabis!!

My most recent guinea pigs were called ''Gyre and Gimble'', made up words from Lewis Carroll's 'Jabberwocky' nonsense poem.

And we once had a rabbit called 'Web' cos I asked my then three year old son what to call him and he just said 'Web'..... I didn't even ask why. :wacko:

My whippet Badger..had dark mask with white stripe so looked like a Badger!

WhippetX Bryn was already called Bryn before we rescued him and he wasn't ill treated by previous owner so we kept his name as he responded to it.

Zoe the boxer apparently whispered her name to my OH when we first met her although I didn't hear her say a word!!!!!!! but we all call her Moonpig or Ming anyway.

James the beagle was bought for me by my mum and dad and their surname is James...I wanted there to be some connection to them.

Bill the beagle is called just because it seemed to suit him.....strangely though I have an uncle called Bill James lol

Amber - id always liked that name and when i was going to the rescue kennels i was thinking of good names - and there infont of me was a whippet x terrier that was basically yellow and white, and she has amber eyes. its suits her pretty lil face too.

Perry - I like real names and wanted a good strong but boyish name - perry sprung to mind, and everyone who meets him def think s hes a "perry" (bit big n clumbsey)

Spry - my husbands choice i wanted a different name that was unique, and after some internet searching spry was choosen for teh litle puppy who was so samll and worm riddled sat in the corner all shy ....after 2 weeks she certainly lived up to her name.

Dion - my dads dog, he loves france and man u . hence

Rooney - again man u fans!

i choose pickle for my little girl because she was the colour of branston pickle and was always getting into trouble! I call my second dog luigi after mario and luigi as ive always liked the name plus it's italian and he is half italian lol x (w00t)

ruby and stars mum was called gem so all the girls in the litter were named after gem stones,

as the name ruby was already on our short list of names ruby stayed ruby,

Ruby, Rubs, Rubydoo

Star was originally twinkle, to which there was no way we could shout on a twinkle in the park :teehee:

after a few hours debate and her being called Cinderella for all of 5mins, we settled on Star, which took about a week to get from calling her twinkle - twinklestar - star.

Star, Starry

Smokey was smokey from day one and we thought it was a bit different and nice, so no point in changing it.

Smokey, Smokey kokie, Smokes

so really technically we didnt name any of the dogs :blink:

but we named the cats

Flip was after the djs Flip and Fill, how sad eh :>

and Spoon, used to say that you were a spoon if you were a bit thick and well shes not the brightest cat weve ever had so we originally called her that as joke and it ended up just sticking :b

[/quote

well at least shes out of the tree now Katie thank goodness... :thumbsup:

and Twinkle was Jodie's idea.... :lol:

I didn't choose any of my dogs' names, they had all been named by the rescues they came from (except Benji who was a hand-in after his owner died, so that was his 'real' name).

Sophie's name suits her perfectly but I intended to change all the others as I don't really like them much, but I dithered too long and the dogs and family got used to them so they stayed :rolleyes:

Benji's name has been formally lengthened to Benjamin Bean, because such a small self-important dog needs an important name (and when he curls up he's the exact shape of a kidney bean :wub: )

poppy got her name when our two year old neice came round and couldnt say puppy. she kept saying we had a new poppy and the name just stuck. second dog (also a whippet) was bought by my brother when he was living with us he picked the name bo and asked if i would take her for her first visit to the vets so she could be registerd in our name wich is derrig. seemed quiet funny when he was taking bo derrig to the vets lol. but not so funny since he got married last year and decided to leave bo with us as we didnt want to split them up. not so funny now i have to take bo derrig to the vets

:thumbsup: Some great names, and stories behind them! :lol: @ Bo Derrig!!!

I can't imagine Rifle being called anything else now, although I have got used to people giving me funny looks, and then there was the vet that called me across the waiting room asking for 'Riffelle' :teehee:

Keep 'em coming....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back