Dogs Sleeping In Bed

Is it Hygenic to Sleep with a Dog IN the bed

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The dogs sleep in the kitchen in a cage (which is nearly the size of my bed :- " )

Next week we are camping, but only for two nights, so won't be taking the big tent. This means that they get to sleep in with us, I can't wait :wub: (w00t) :wub:

Who cares? I'm like Linus without his blanket if I haven't got at least one whippet sleeping in the bed with me :huggles: - even if hubby is there. :b

Someone could tell me that it's terribly unhygenic but it wouldn't stop me at all - have had dogs in the bed with me since I was a child and have never been sick from it!

unhygenic for sure! that's why mine sleep in the kitchen - except for the mornings on our day's off, when they all jump in :- "

IT'S OUR BED NOW!!!

may05_127.jpg

may05_126.jpg

ZenMaster said:
Is it Hygenic to Sleep with a Dog IN the bed
What do you think and Why ?

And yes I said IN and not ON

Depends how hygenic one wants to be.

Living in a sterile environment would be hygenic... but would lead to an immune system which was never challenged.

What is different about a dog?? - well I suppose it is because they do not wash every day.... they do not clean their teeth.... they do eat disgusting things, given half a chance, and will offer you a kiss afterwards too !! - but I cannot see any difference in having a dog in the bed with you, than say...... having one sit on your lap, or at your side on a chair.

Our dogs definitely sleep with us - it is amazing how much room a tiny whippet can take up ! - they stretch out when they are warm and assume 'long dog' poses.

When we had 4 whippets and a cat... we used to have a single bed alongside the double bed.. but no one used it !! - now we have a king size, and there is slightly more room.

It is probably also, what you are used to.... my parents always had the dogs on the beds... and they (the dogs) were a lot bigger than whippets !!

Fortunately, my husband's mother did too - so it just seemed normal.

I don't wash my hands every time after touching my dog.. if this were so.. I would never have my hands out of water !!

Then again, neither do I wash my hands every time after touching people/children/money/papers/door handles/petrol pump nozzles/ (all of which are potential sources of unhygenic matter !!)

The most unhygenic thing you can let a dog do, I think, is probably to let it lick your plate.... but we do that too - so any possible hygene risks in bed, pale by comparison.

A question for you.... why do you want to know????? and how do you view it?

What do I think ?

It is niether Hygenic or Un Hygenic.

Its just someones opinion. It is neither right nor wrong

I do not mind either way as long as it does not upset my sleeping pattern

Double bed, luxury try it in a caravan very single bed two whips so you can't move your legs :lol:

This year same two whips but twice the size plus spry (w00t) I may just sleep in the awning, because for some reason they all want to sleep on my bed, it's nice to be loved but very uncomfortable :wacko:

View attachment 15164

Last edited by a moderator:
dogs walk barefoot all the time; do you wash your dogs' feet everytime

they come inside?

dogs run around in the much and roll in rabbit droppings and dead birds

and they don't bathe as much as most of us humans do

dogs carry fleas and the occasional tick, even though I'm sure most

K9ers do take preventative/curative measures

Aside from hygiene, letting the dogs in bed with you makes it harder to

travel with them. Some of your friends won't be happy to have your dog

jump on their settee though they will probably be favourable impressed

by the dog who knows to go lie on the mat. And what about when you stay

at that pet-friendly hotel or b&b?

Owners who sleep with their dogs are indulgent. And it seems that once

you let the dogs sleep in bed, they start multiplying.

8) See the evidence at:

http://www.kismetsighthounds.com/kismet.html

Not sure if your post is meant ironically, alba :blink: :b

dogs walk barefoot all the time; do you wash your dogs' feet everytime

they come inside?

My children and I go barefoot as much as possible in the summer - I don't make them wash their feet every time they come inside.

dogs run around in the much and roll in rabbit droppings and dead birds

and they don't bathe as much as most of us humans do

I don't roll in rabbit droppings and dead birds, and neither does my whippet very often - and she might not actually "bath" in hot water and bubbles but she cleans herself very efficiently much more frequently than I do. If I stopped and washed myself as many times a day as she does, I'd never get anything done.

dogs carry fleas and the occasional tick, even though I'm sure most

K9ers do take preventative/curative measures

No fleas, no ticks, neither of us.

Aside from hygiene, letting the dogs in bed with you makes it harder to

travel with them. Some of your friends won't be happy to have your dog

jump on their settee though they will probably be favourable impressed

by the dog who knows to go lie on the mat. And what about when you stay

at that pet-friendly hotel or b&b?

My whippet knows when it's okay for her to be in my bed, and she accepts when it's time to be in her own. She's pretty easy going where ever we are, home or away, and I respect people who don't want my dog on their settee and go with their wishes... although I've yet to meet such a person, and I think being impressed by a dog being forced to lie on a mat might mean said person was not really someone I'd want as a friend.

Owners who sleep with their dogs are indulgent.

I indulge my dog... and so did those medieval folk who used the whippet as a foot-warmer. So what? My dog is disciplined, trained, and sometimes indulged, just like my children... and just like me!

It's a good job every body is different ;)

Kirawan was right about your immune system never being challenged. There's a huge study going on across Europe at the moment (ALSPAC/Children of the Nineties) and they'vefound that children who live in homes where a lot of detergents are used and there's an emphasis on cleanliness are a lot less healthy on those who are exposed to a variety of microbes. And weirdly, since we've had a whippet, my OH's lifelong asthma has almost gone :blink: He's convinced that introducing a whole new set of organisms has been beneficial.

There are too many rules in this world, and far too many people telling us what to do. If we want to have dogs in our beds, then let's just do it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine two Whippies both sleep in my bed with me, although Bradley sometimes gets too hot and jumps onto the dog chair.

We'll I've had some dogs in bed with me in the past but these days I prefer whippets! :- "

Sorry couldn't resist! :p

Wouldn't mind but microbiologists will tell you that your bed is more unhygenic than your toilet! Perish the thought of us actually developing an immunity to all these bugs!

Seraphina said:
Well, I think it depends on how often the sheets are changed.  But a bit of sand and chewed up twig have not harmed anybody to my knowledge.I do not think it is particularly unhygienic just more work.

Lida

Same here :D ......Though I sometimes think 6 Whippets in 1 bed during the hot weather is complete madness (w00t)

Cashie spent his first night in his (very expensive) crate, his second night on the bed and the last eight months in the bed (he's got me sussed!)

I've just looked up unhygienic in the dictionary as I wanted to get an exact definition - the entry is "dirty and likely to cause disease or infection." I suppose that he's a bit muddy sometimes so a pedant could argue that he is dirty, but he's certainly not likely to cause disease or infection. In fact, he's wormed every 3 months whereas I've never wormed myself despite my job (vet nurse). I don't really want to worm myself as if I do have a little tapeworm keeping me thin then I'm happy for him to stay :D

I must admit that Cashie does have a tendency to put himself to bed at every opportunity when in other people's houses, but luckily most of my friends are other vets and nurses who don't mind at all. I would never take him to a friend's house if they didn't like dogs on their furniture as I couldn't trust him not to sneak onto a sofa as soon as he got a chance. Luckily, nobody's ever had a problem with him, I suspect partly due to the fact that he's just so damn cute and it also helps that he isn't a big hairy dog who sheds everywhere.

Mary-Caroline said:
Cashie spent his first night in his (very expensive) crate, his second night on the bed and the last eight months in the bed (he's got me sussed!)
I've just looked up unhygienic in the dictionary as I wanted to get an exact definition - the entry is "dirty and likely to cause disease or infection."  I suppose that he's a bit muddy sometimes so a pedant could argue that he is dirty, but he's certainly not likely to cause disease or infection.  In fact, he's wormed every 3 months whereas I've never wormed myself despite my job (vet nurse).  I don't really want to worm myself as if I do have a little tapeworm keeping me thin then I'm happy for him to stay :D

I must admit that Cashie does have a tendency to put himself to bed at every opportunity when in other people's houses, but luckily most of my friends are other vets and nurses who don't mind at all.  I would never take him to a friend's house if they didn't like dogs on their furniture as I couldn't trust him not to sneak onto a sofa as soon as he got a chance.  Luckily, nobody's ever had a problem with him, I suspect partly due to the fact that he's just so damn cute and it also helps that he isn't a big hairy dog who sheds everywhere.

Hello MC! We haven't seen any Cashie pictures for AGES..... :b Please can we see how much he's grown??!!

ZenMaster said:
What do I think ?
It is niether Hygenic or Un Hygenic.

Its just someones opinion. It is neither right nor wrong

I do not mind either way as long as it does not upset my sleeping pattern

Here here, very wise words Zenmaster

Hello MC! We haven't seen any Cashie pictures for AGES..... :b Please can we see how much he's grown??!!

Helen

You may regret asking for pics! I can't resist showing him off, he's (IMHO) the most beautiful whippet ever born :D ! I was so lucky to be referred to this site and find the perfect puppy.

I still haven't figured out how to post pics on this site (technophobe, I know), so if you would PM me your e-mail I'll send them to you. If you feel particularly kind, perhaps you could even put them on this site for me? :- "

M-Cx

wild whippies said:
We'll I've had some dogs in bed with me in the past but these days I prefer whippets! :- "
Sorry couldn't resist! :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: Damn you beat me too it :D I can't believe it took three pages before anyone said that :D :D :D :D

I thought about something else, what about pest-proofing your bedding?

the flea powders and sprays I've looked at all say not to be used on human bedding

(though that also makes me wonder how safe they are for the dogs)

apparently, it wasn't in this thread, but I remember replying to someone on k9 who said a larger bed was needed, that no matter how big the bed is, the dogs will curl up around your body so that you can't move. I just saw an illustration of that principle, although admittedly the bed is not large:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=16253

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back