The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Drug Test

Vicky

Maid Your Point
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Last night i heard some interesting info on Curacho from a fellow whippet racer, that it fails drug tests??

This info having not been in Whippet News i (& many others i have spoken to in the last few days) knew nothing about. It's not something i use on my dogs but i do sell something similar & don't want to be selling it if i know that it fails tests, the above info would also verify why Curacho has been discontinued.

Michelle (im sure she wont mind me giving her name) spoke to NGRC about it & they said if we are tested by the same people then we shouldn't be using ANYTHING other than food & water for 7 days before a competition which we might be tested in! If this is right in the whippet world why do so few people know?

Also a few people have told me in the last few day that Trainers Choice (a natural rub) also shows up in drug tests, 1 of the said people had confirmation off a vet but i have also had people say it has been ok'd with both the NGRC & one of the whippet racing bodies, this would contradict the first lot of information!!

Can anyone help us because i'm sure i'm not the only one who's a little lost now with the whole drug test malarky, after originally thinking i knew what i could & couldn't use, this is a bit of a blow!!!!

Everyone i know uses some form of muscle rub, can anyone tell us what definately doesn't show up?

Or should people just not risk using a rub for 7 days before?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh dear Vicky what can we use then , i was told Trainers Choice was ok to use and that there was nothing in it that would show in a drugs test, we knew about curacho and was told it had stopped being sold , if this is right then maybe we should be told what we can use and what we can't ey.........

I was certain Trainers Choice wouldn't show up too, but after being told twice i think i should look into it further!!!

Well i know greyhound men are using it and they say it is ok, also all fellow whippet racers are using it, so we will definately have to find out for sure ey............

For Michelle & Tony here are the "Ingredients" of Trainers Choice, Michelle get ya book out again, nows ya time to shine!!!

From what i can see it still looks ok am i wrong?

menthol, alcohol, allantoin, aloe vera, boric acid, carbomer, diazolidinyl urea, eucalyptus oil, glycerin, iodine, methylparaben, methyl salicylate, peppermint oil, polysorbate 60, potassium iodide, propylene glycol, propylparaben, thyme oil, triethanolamine, water

Eeeeek apparently it's common knowledge that we can't use Curacho has it ever been in whippet news?

well if thats the case does Curacho blow our drug testing in none ped whippet racing out the water then .....i used to use Curacho all the time..but swapped to MR muscle rub about a year ago...i am now getting worried about that surly we need to rub our dogs down with a something before they race ...i alway said hat there should be a guild line printed to give people something to go off

i think its got some thing to do with winter greens(i think thats what it called) that shows up in drug testing

I've now got the HFL website fixed firmly to my favourites til i find out more.

vicky gives that addy for HFL i wouldnt mind a look at that would keep us right on what we can not use..

well i had a nose at trainers choice ingredients and it looks ok.(but no death threats if anyone fails a drug test ??? )

As for curaco one of the ingredients i could trace is a natural inti-imflamatory agent.

I didnt know about any of this till last night, but i have spoke to the ngrc and a friend who is an ngrc trainer and both said that there dogs can only have food and water 7 days before a race.mmmmmmm

Hi Vicky, please excuse my ignorance, but how can a muscle rub enhance a dogs performance. I realise that people applying it before a race are warming their dog up, but surely it just helps to prevent injury-not actually make the dog run faster.

I must also confess, I haven't been to non-pedigree whippet racing, only the pedigree whippet racing, but, do you have betting?

I can understand, with greyhounds, wether it is flapping or N.G.R.C. controlled, because of betting, the dogs are tested for performing enhancing drugs. But is our sport of whippet racing, also mean, having our dogs tested?

Obviously, I am not in favour of anyone cheating, and, I go showing a lot more than I take my dogs racing, but I can't imagine anyone I have met at racing, cheating in this way.

If the dogs are going to be tested, then, yes,the "officials for whippet racing" need to supply lists of illegal substances, to the respective racing club secretaries, so that the information is freely available, to all it's members.

Lydia and Darkstars

thanks michelle ;) and vicky ;)

Back to Dee's reply, i think the answer is yeh it does blow the d.testing out of the water, the fact that there are so many who didn't know & some who are saying they thought everyone knew!!

Why is it not made clear in whippet news/on programmes that these things show up?

From what i can see muscle rub is'nt a performance enhancer. curaco contains a natural anti-intiflammatory which isnt a performance enhancer, ive heard greyhound men useing anti-flammatorys to cover up injuries so either bets can be fiddled or run injured dogs when the shouldnt be. But if whippet racing is following ngrc guildlines and the same laboratories are being used it may be a good idea to steer clear of it.

Like we all know there have already been people banned from using anti-inflammatorys so it prob is best to steer clear till we have it clarified by the main bodies!

just had another look at the ingredients......the said anit-imflammatory in curaco is also believed to raise blood pressure.

Mmmmm i best stay well away then ey, my head is already close to bursting!

Lydia

I suppose not getting injured is performance enhancing! :(

There is usually no betting ( I`ve known it once)

A list of illegal substances is considered a handbook for cheats by the BWRA or so I was told. The NWRF don`t have a list but can ban you for any substance that their vet considers performance enhancing with zero tolerance which is both ignorant and unfair

The whole drug issue in whippet racing is a witch hunt. No-one has been caught cheating but people have been banned. Everyone who gives a sample is at risk of being banned. Well, not quite everybody.

There is nothing in any of the above muscle rubs that will chemicaly enhance the performance of the dog over the effects as a rub. Common sense says they should be allowed. Use them and you will get banned.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back