The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Eletric Dog Training Collars

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kris said:
Sorry to have waffled on but just wanted to say there are other methods rather than causing discomfort and also think if u do use it and u dont have it on and he escapes from the house/garden how u going to get him home safe if he only listens to the collar and why cuase pain to something that loves u unconditionaly and relys on you to keep him safe

WELL SAID! :thumbsup: YOU ARE SO OBVIOUSLY A DOG LOVER NOT A DOG KEEPER! :huggles:

arent we all on here :b

I am thinking about using the collar which emits a puff of air on Archie. To all those people that have replied stating that you should never use a collar, what would you do in my situation:

Archie is from coursing lines and he absolutely just loves to hunt and chase. He loves me but he is VERY strong willed and independent. There is absolutely no question he prefers hunting and chasing to ANYTHING else - he wouldn't even give a backward glance to me or a bit of food if something got up. He is nearly 4 and despite continuing to train him (reward based - as he learnt at pup training) if he decides he is going to run off and go hunting for hours he does.

I would not use an electric collar on him but the air collar sounds a good way of trying to break this habit. He has been stitched up once this year and had numerous other tears and injuries from running through hedges, ditches, barbed wire fences. I am concerned that one day he will not return. He currently doesn't go off the lead unless we are on a beach with high enough cliffs he cannot climb - luckily my parents have a big garden to run him in.

My other dog is an entirely different story - just so biddable and eager to please, he never leaves my sight - he responds to reqrd training briliiantly. They went through the same training so with Archie it is his temperament/personality which causes the problem. Does anyone think it is worth a go with the air type collar?

personally i would have no problem using an air collar if i thought one would help train a dog to do/not do something important...i used an air can spray from the company of animals to give gypsy a shock(not literally!) when she was a pup if she tried to play bite too hard....yelping used to excite her! :lol: :thumbsup:

Snap Jo.

I'm having horrendous problems with Leia at the monent. I dont think she would notice an air collar - but am thinking about trying one of the citronella collars. Has anyone used on of those? What I'm worried about is tht the smell with linger so she might still think she is being told off once she has stopped running off.

For now she is on a lead unless I drive to a field where we have a fiedl permit, and it's totally safe and enclosed.

I wouldnt use an electric collar, but I have tried one on myself and on a low setting it is uncomfortable but not painful - atleast not to me - but I dont know if a dog would agree? If that is the case is it any worse than smacking a dog?

The fact that they are available to any muppet terrifies me and I was horrified to see them as the subject of hilarity in a movie recently. :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used one of the air collars on Nana to stop her manic barking (she would bark continuously in Tess's ear for up to an hour, and was completely oblivious to anything). She is extremely obedient appart from that and just goes into another world when barking. I needed some way to attract her attention and nothing else worked. I bought a remote control one (I one that I controlled, not an automatic one) The collar was fantastic and just distracted her for long enough to her me calling, and after about a week the barking had almost stopped. I have to say it was wonderful, it ever bothered her just surprised her.

You might notice that I use the past tense :- "

One day we were walking along minding our own business and Nana was wearing her collar and enjoying herself enorously as when she barked she couldn't play- it was like she had been released from some strange mental prison. This man came up and started barking at them and making the bark back, I really am not joking, :blink: , and it took me ages to explain to him that Nana was wearing that collar to stop her barking, he stopped barking at her and appologised. Anyway, the next day we had to start again using the spray to stop her barking, and by the afternoon she had stopped again. Well we met the idiot again (I say idiot, but he is actually quite a well respected architect) and her did the same thing again :rant: and made her bark.

The collar doesn't work any more :angry:

OMG, poor you and your dogs OEH, that man is an idiot. Why is it, that quite often, intelligent people completely lack common sense. what a prat he was :rant:

as for electric shock collars, to the original poster, please don't use them, full stop. They are cruel and in the wrong hands, some horrific things could occur. They would also have to be used in a very precise fashion, many people don't seem to understand for instance how clicker-training works, so to use a painful "corrective" method like a shock collar, would be even less understood.

No! to electric shock collars. They should be banned.

OEH... what a lunatic that man sounds, pity you couldn't put the collar round his neck, he wouldn't have done it a second time :- "

I have one of the remote control air collars. When Hebe was younger she developed a bad habit of charging up to people or dogs at full lurcher pelt and barking madly at them. Most people were o.k.about it as there was no aggresion there but some non doggy folk & less confident dogs were scared by it.

It got to the point when a few people got really cross with me :rant: so I decided that before someone put a complaint in I'd better do something about it.

If I could see them coming I could call Hebe back with no problem & hold her till they had passed & give her a treat but sometimes people seemed to come from nowhere.

The collar worked brilliantly. After only 2 blasts she didnt do it again. It is very important that you get the timing spot on or they may assosiate it with something else. About every 3-4 months she would regress & start to do it again but just putting the collar on is enough to stop the behaviour. I havn't filled it up for over a year now but she doesn't know that :D

Sometimes I only have to take it out of my pocket & show it to her & say NO, that works too.

I would NEVER EVER use an electric shock collar but these air ones do work if used properly.

Is the air collar teh same or different as the citronella collars?

We have both the bark triggered and remote triggered citronella collars (though we've switched to the unscented ones now). They also make a mustard scent for really tough dogs.

I know of people who have used (as Rachel/Fizgig) e collars for runners on teh lowest setting and it works. I think certainly it's worth a try Jo for the Masterplus. There is an online shop over here that will rent it and if it works you can put your rental payments towards buying. just put Masterplus or Aboistop into a google search and you'll find all the places that do them.

I actually purchased mine both on eBay from Doggiesolutions for about 1/3 cheaper than the retail.

There is also another brand of remote called the spray commander (which we have for Chelsea at agility), and one of the buttons is a 'beep' which you can use like a clicker for positive reinforcement following a correction.

Wendy

chelynnah said:
Wendy

I think they are the same thing. You just choose which refil to use, either just air, citronella or mustard. I just use the air in case there is ever a citronella candle nearby poor Hebe doesn't think shes done something wrong if she associates that smell with being told off :b

J.T. said:
chelynnah said:
Wendy

I think they are the same thing. You just choose which refil to use, either just air, citronella or mustard. I just use the air in case there is ever a citronella candle nearby poor Hebe doesn't think shes done something wrong if she associates that smell with being told off :b

Thanks - I wasn't sure if people were talking about the same thing or different things.

I train my girls with the citronella one (they're not bothered by the scent in other places), but once they've got the hang of it, they get the unscented. Takes AGES to get the smell out of the collar though - I've been through 1.5 cans of unscented and still get mild citronella smell LOL

Wendy

Am definately thinking of trying out an air collar with Digit - he really can be a bit of a b***ger barking at other dogs - usually nice big ones :thumbsup: way to go Dij!

i was having a conversation with my vet nurse friend generally about cruel methods of training/disciplining dogs and she told me when her brother took his weimerana (no idea how you spell that!) to dog training classes - the trainer told him to get a spiked collar (with the spikes on the inside) and a riding crop for next week (w00t)

luckily my mate is a vet nurse (brothers not being best known for taking advice off their big sisters!) so she was able to spell out for him the likely result would be a dog scared of wearing a collar and terrified of anyone holding something in their hand - not what you want with 2 small kids in the house. Brother countered with 'but he has 30 years experience'....can't you just hear the trainer saying it - ..."in my 30 years experience...."

Friend said - that just means he's 30 years out of date, and gave him some useful advice about training his puppy.

it's worrying that people can set themselves up as dog trainers and teach people to do awful things, thinking that's the only way of gaining control. the thought of my Dij (or any other dog) with a spiked collar makes me feel sick :x

A friend of mine is campaigning to get electric collars banned. They are barbaric and no dog should have to endure the pain and discomfort they cause. There are a lot of people (myself included) that have written to their local MP to try and get these collars banned :angry:

I hadn't heard of the air or citrus collars before now, I might invest in one for Chloe. How effective are they? Her barking instinct is so strong being a guarding breed im not sure if they would work? I reckon i could zap her with a Tazer and she wouldn't notice :lol: I would NEVER use an electric collar.

Northolm said:
A friend of mine is campaigning to get electric collars banned.  They are barbaric and no dog should have to endure the pain and discomfort they cause.  There are a lot of people (myself included) that have written to their local MP to try and get these collars banned :angry:
there was a pertion at crifts to ban these coller and a lot of people were signing it :thumbsup:

fallenangel said:
Northolm said:
A friend of mine is campaigning to get electric collars banned.  They are barbaric and no dog should have to endure the pain and discomfort they cause.  There are a lot of people (myself included) that have written to their local MP to try and get these collars banned :angry:
there was a pertion at crifts to ban these coller and a lot of people were signing it :thumbsup:

Yes Fallenangel,

It was headed up by a friend of ours, Caroline Kisco. I really wish they would ban them :rant:

Yes, these collars a very good to train your dogs. I am in the favor of dogs training as we can't make them well behaved until giving them proper training. But if you are tired of your dogs barking and other misbehavior then you don't need to send your dog to a residential training kennel.
You can train and control them via Best Dog Training Collars
Or, you could be more open and obvious with your punishment and just beat the poor dog with a big stick until it submits.

Last edited:
Yes, [shock] collars are very good to train your dogs.
I am in the favor of dogs training as we can't make them well behaved until giving them proper training.

But if you are tired of your [dog's] barking and other misbehavior, then you don't need to send your dog to a residential training kennel.
You can train and control them via "Best Dog" Training Collars.

ah, dearie-dear... Reviving a 12-YO thread on shock-collars, & capping that with a sales-pitch for same?
Nothing else could quite shriek "INAPPROPRIATE" as loudly, on a dog-forum. :confused: :p Congratulations.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 3.35.30 PM.png

Dog-owners who are ignorant of alternatives use pain to punish their dogs; the vast majority of dog-owners on forums are much-more knowledgeable than the average owner, so U've come to the wrong place to sell remote-controlled dog zappers. :D
To paraphrase my fellow trainer, Ted Turner - head trainer at Sea World -
"If we can teach a killer whale to pee into a cup on cue, you can train your dog without pain."

Isn't that funny?... think about it: nobody puts a choke-chain on a leopard, a shock-collar on an orca, or a prong-collar on an eagle, but every one of those species & many, many, many more in zoos, aquaria, & breeding facilities for endangered species, are successfully trained using tidbits & markers, all over the world. :)

here ya go, Mr Sims:
Illustration | Art Shop | Licensing | Dogs by Lili Chin

My advice? - ditch the shock-collars, & move into the current century. // The earliest record of a U-S patent that i could find for a shock-collar was in 1929; the leads ran from the battery, carried in a small suitcase, down the leash to the collar.
We've learned a lot about animal behavior & nonhuman learning since 1930; it's been over 80-years. :rolleyes: U need to catch up!

- terry

No wonder I spend most of my life happily in the company of dogs, a lot of people just make me question whether we actually have gone back in time...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back