The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Epupz

Lynn-Alexandria

Grand Master Undead Fighter
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Given the threads that have been on concerning Epupz lately I felt a need to post this. It seems that most on here feel that Epupz is doing wrong for advertising puppies and adult dogs for sale. Yes there are bad breeders out there who will sell anything that comes their way however at the end of the day Epupz is providing a service. Their disclaimers clearly state that they are not responsible for the breeders and will take any complaint seriously.

If you read through the site you will see the reasons behind setting up Epupz. Granted there are bad breeders out there who will treat their dogs badly and sell on bad pups however it is the breeder not the chosen form of advertisement that is to blame. We all know that the internet is becoming more and more popular. More and more people are considering becoming new dog owners. Unless you are involved in a breed ring then it is hard to find the breed of your choice. I accept that people who have been involved in a breed for years will be a little apprehensive to let someone new into the circle. But in order for the breed to continue and survive isn’t it important that the new people are given the right advice rather than put of my being shunned?

Ok completely gone off tangent. The following messages are put on epupz concerning their site, this one really struck me

Fighting Puppy Farms

Aims

Help our campaign to ban puppy farmers, dealers and poor breeders.

Epupz was created because when we were looking for a puppy we could not find any sites that did any sort of checking for known puppy farmers and dealers.

Over the year we have built a vast ‘blacklist’ database of poor breeders, puppy farmers and dealers. This database has been built from our work with the RSPCA, Trading Standards, Local Councils, Local Police forces, breeders, breed clubs, buyer feedback and a large amount of data given to us by other anti-puppy framing websites. Our system crosschecks all information with this database, from all contact information, names, adverts details through to IP addresses. Our systems constantly checks other information gathered about users on the site and their activities on the site. We don’t wish to go into the finer detail as it would simply aid someone to evade then system.

We humanly vet as much of the content for the adverts as we can and also have dedicated breeders that monitor their breed’s adverts too.

We also block certain countries from using the site. This is to help screen out any fraudulent buyers.

We also screen certain communications to filter out bad language, spam and fraud.

The biggest thing I must stress is that regardless of the amount of time and money we put in to ensure the safety of the puppies, we can’t guarantee that all breeders or buyers are 100% safe. Regardless of what we do, or any other organisation, no one should think that because checks have been done that all breeders or buyer have put the intention of puppy first. This is not just in respect to our site. This statement is true whether it be an advert in a breed magazine, another website, a breeder that is recommended by breed clubs or a KC accredited breeder. We have banned accredited KC breeders in the past. It is vital you carry out your own checks and look at the advice on the bottom of all the adverts. Also see the buyers guide.

Please give us as much feedback as you can about the breeders, services and buyer on Epupz, whether it be negative or positive All this information is logged, if negative it will be investigated and action is always taken.

We have been unable to find a better and safer media model that protects the puppies and deduces the risk of exposure to puppy farmers and dealers.

We feel that we try our best and constantly review our systems and working practice. If you feel that there is more we can realistically do please let us know.

Please click on the link below to contact us for any reason.

CONTACT US

Thank you for taking the time to read this and we hope you are a passionate about puppies/dogs as we are.

This to me expresses that Epupz DOES NOT condone puppy farming and will try everything in their power to stop it. Here is another one that struck me…this gives information about their service and how they came about

Aims

Our aim at Epupz is to create the safest place on the web to assist in puppies finding owners. You may think it strange that we say puppies finding owners instead of people finding puppies, the reason for that is puppies come first at Epupz.

In our aim to server the puppies to the full we also list services, breeders and also server information and help. We plan to keep Epupz free from charge to encourage people to advertise with us, this is because we know that we do everything in our power to ensure that the puppies come first.

How

We run reports every day to ensure that Epupz stay a safe place for above all the puppies. As Epupz is a family site we also try our hardest to make it a safe place for families. If we wish for more information on the reports we run or the other safe guards we have in place please contact us by clicking here.

Why

Epupz all started when I was looking for two puppies and I couldn't find any web sites that looked like they care about the puppies. In the end I got Itchy and Scratchy [http://www.harrison-dix.net/pupz] from a classifieds site where my pups were being sold with second hand washing machines and old cots. This sickened me so I then decided to build a site the would help puppies and new owner connect. The site has been build so that all puppies can be added, from breeders and rescue centres to accidental litters from none breeders.

I hope that you all get where I’m coming from with this.

thank you lynn, epupz in principle is good , it is up to us to report ANY problems or concerns we have about the site as how else would they know, they take the fighting of puppy farms very seriously and have banned several breeders, but agin it is down to joe public to read the set up guidelines and report, so dont think it is fair for epupz to get bad press for things they havent been made aware of :thumbsup:

I dont personally think Epupz is any better/worse than most of the sites/free ads where people who indescriminately breed sell their puppies, they are all much the same.

I just wonder out of personal interest if someone was to report something they had found "untoward" how long it would take Epupz to react if at all, as if someone has been trying to get their details removed for the last 6 months with no avail as has been reported, i wouldn't hold my breath :- "

My philosophy is: If someone needs to "genuinely" rehome an older dog for what ever reason & are genuinely concerned that a decent loving home is found why not forget the £££ signs & contact that breed rescue where undoubtably there will be homes waiting that have already or will be vetted & only allowed to acceptable people. Charging huge amounts on somewhere like Epupz leaves it open to all & sundry, why not take the easiest route & ensure you find the right home with the help of people who have been doing this for many years & only have the welfare of the dogs at heart not the ££££.

If you choose to take on the HUGE responsibility of breeding a litter, if you do not have potential homes with trusted reliable people waiting & can NOT accept the responsibility of keeping any surplus pups if the right homes are not available, quite simply DONT BREED.

If you REALLY have to advertise there are several magazines that tend to attract a better class of people that again you will have to weedle out the good from the bad BUT are on the whole better than the likes of free ads & epupz.

Just my opinion.

Spot on Nina :thumbsup: ......I must say that I think its awful seeing litters of pups advertised in/on places like Epupz, Trade-it etc .....as it goes to show that the breeder really didn't have at least some homes lined up befor they bred :rant: .........There are genuine reasons for adult dogs needing new homes, but again I personally think there are better ways of finding a good home without these free ad places ........Just my opinion though :)

i think there are good and bad breeders on all site etc ,i also think there are some good breeders on e pupz

epupz imo is the same as coming on here with a litter for sale its just the same thing ,people pm you if they are wanting to buy a puppy you have a good chat then sell them the pup,whats the difference between epupz and this site ?

i cant see any difference as long as the person breeding the puppies vet the homes very well and keep in touch offering to rehome the pup at any time whats the problem ,however i do have aproblem with other sites on the net which advertise lots of difference breeds and that wil deliver anywhere and always have litter for sale

why do others on here advertise their pups havent they lined up homes for their litters imo good and bad everywhere not just e pupz

Good reply Nina. TBH I've seen several litters of pups being advertised by a single breeder in a period of time but no action taken which makes me wonder how effective they're filter system is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Strike Whippets said:
.There are genuine reasons for adult dogs needing new homes, but again I personally think there are better ways of finding a good home without these free ad places ........Just my  opinion though  :)
Does that really matter WHY the dog needs a new home? If somebody does not want a dog because they got sick of it, isn't it better that they do re-home him/her, rather than just chucking the dog in the backyard and neglect it? Or taking it to the nearest rescue? I think if the dog is in such a situation it at least has a chance to find better home. And more people this ad reaches better the chance for the dog.

What are the good ways of finding a new home for a dog?

Well i would have thought it far better to re-contact the original breeder to begin with to see if they were perhaps happy to take the dog back, i know this is not always possible BUT i feel they should be given the choice as any pup i have ever parted with has only ever gone to a new home on the understanding that if anything ever happened at ANY point in their lives & the people could no longer keep them i did NOT under any circumstances want them sold or passed on & would happily bring them back home with me where they would then STAY.

The other option as i already stated would be to contact the breed rescue & explain the situation & see if they had maybe some nice homes already waiting which had been vetted or could be vetted in advance.

I kow a lot of breed rescues often have people waiting especially who dont want puppies but perhaps a little bit older dog.

Finding the right homes isn't always easy i know especially for certain breeds but there is often help out there if you genuinely need it :thumbsup:

nina said:

Well i would have thought it far better to re-contact the original breeder to begin with to see if they were perhaps happy to take the dog back, i know this is not always possible BUT i feel they should be given the choice as any pup i have ever parted with has only ever gone to a new home on the understanding that if anything ever happened at ANY point in their lives & the people could no longer keep them i did NOT under any circumstances want them sold or passed on & would happily bring them back home with me where they would then STAY.

The other option as i already stated would be to contact the breed rescue & explain the situation & see if they had maybe some nice homes already waiting which had been vetted or could be vetted in advance.

I kow a lot of breed rescues often have people waiting especially who dont want puppies but perhaps a little bit older dog.

Finding the right homes isn't always easy i know especially for certain breeds but there is often help out there if you genuinely need it :thumbsup:

Sounds right to me Nina.

I think that my biggest problem with free ads both paper and on the internet is how easy it is for people to get a dog.

Whatever is wrong with people doing their homework. By which I mean finding out where whippets and whippet people are going to be and getting out there and meeting them face to face. That's what I did before getting my first whippet and I had no problem finding one.

BeeJay said:
nina said:

Sounds right to me Nina.

I think that my biggest problem with free ads both paper and on the internet is how easy it is for people to get a dog.

Whatever is wrong with people doing their homework. By which I mean finding out where whippets and whippet people are going to be and getting out there and meeting them face to face. That's what I did before getting my first whippet and I had no problem finding one.

It's not always easy though Barb I had no idea where to look when I set out for my first whippy, didn't know about any of the sites or magazines or epupz at that time and I didnt know a single owner of a whippet , I just put in whippet breeders on the net and Dawns site came up and she helped us along but it was still a bit daunting at the time, luckily Dawn was really friendly and helpful(don't tell her I've said all this she will get a big head :teehee: ) so really I still went through the internet although in a different way :thumbsup:

I think a lot can depend on where you live as whippets seem to be more available in some areas than others I am still in the minority where I live thats why there are no racing clubs ect here :(

But the fact that they're a minority isn't neccesarily a bad thing? I'd sooner travel the country to race and train my dogs than be opening my local paper every week to see masses of pups for sale.

Another thing, I really don't think that getting any dog should be easy, in fact the more difficult and awkward it is the bloody better IMO because it'll prevent impulse buying.

oh and I waited 2 years for my first whippet........... it was worth the wait :thumbsup:

wild whippies said:
But the fact that they're a minority isn't neccesarily a bad thing? I'd sooner travel the country to race and train my dogs than be opening my local paper every week to see masses of pups for sale.Another thing, I really don't think that getting any dog should be easy, in fact the more difficult and awkward it is the bloody better IMO because it'll prevent impulse buying.

exactly jac !! i won £200 last week and went out and bought "magic beans"!

damn my impulsive behaviour :rant:

OO when you get to the top can I have the goose that lays golden eggs?!! :p

The problem with Epupz, loot, ad-trader and all the rest of these advertising sites / papers is at the end of the day anyone can advertise on them. You can be joe Egg running a puppy mill in your back yard or a caring dog breeder and there's no way to tell the difference between either.

wild whippies said:
OO when you get to the top can I have the goose that lays golden eggs?!! :p
The problem with Epupz, loot, ad-trader and all the rest of these advertising sites / papers is at the end of the day anyone can advertise on them. You can be joe Egg running a puppy mill in your back yard or a caring dog breeder and there's no way to tell the difference between either.

jac..i am that goose :p

stormydog said:
wild whippies said:
But the fact that they're a minority isn't neccesarily a bad thing? I'd sooner travel the country to race and train my dogs than be opening my local paper every week to see masses of pups for sale.Another thing, I really don't think that getting any dog should be easy, in fact the more difficult and awkward it is the bloody better IMO because it'll prevent impulse buying.

exactly jac !! i won £200 last week and went out and bought "magic beans"!

damn my impulsive behaviour :rant:

I got one of those for my birthday, it never came up :angry: then I realised that the b+**%y rats dug it out! :angry: I hope they appreciated how expensive dinner that was.

http://www.epupz.co.uk/clas/viewdetails.asp?view=49555

hope the link works

not sure how this fits in with ethical breeding standards :(

and the add starts with ALL YOU DO IS, put a black n tan over a well bred whippet :angry:

how many ''surplus'' pups would this suggestion make

worse, surplus, inbred, mongral pups

:(

In defence of Epupz I reported a puppy farmer advertising on their site last year. They were immediately removed from the site and have not appeared since. I had several e-mails from Epupz all the way through their process of investigations, which they took very seriously. The 'puppy farmer' concerned is now facing legal proceedings against them.

On another note, I started a thread on k9 to warn people, no names mentioned at all, and guess what? The thread was REMOVED. I pm's Nigel to find out why, and was told I had offended people that thought 'highly' of this breeder! When I questioned what 'action' k9 was to take, I received NO reply!!!

Finally, wherever a breeder advertises their pups is UP TO THEM - BUT in my opinion ALL prospective new owners should be thouroughly vetted wherever they come from. My latest pups were all booked, but one couple I am refusing to let a pup go to as I think they are unsuitable - would I be wrong to advertise this puppy? Surely better to wait for the right jome than just sell to those booking one months in advance? There are GOOD and BAD in all walks of life - I have met some lovely friends via Epupz, yet there are one or two on k9 I would not give a moment of my time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back