The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Epupz

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
wild whippies said:
But the fact that they're a minority isn't neccesarily a bad thing? I'd sooner travel the country to race and train my dogs than be opening my local paper every week to see masses of pups for sale.Another thing, I really don't think that getting any dog should be easy, in fact the more difficult and awkward it is the bloody better IMO because it'll prevent impulse buying.

oh and I waited 2 years for my first whippet........... it was worth the wait :thumbsup:

I don't diagree with that Jac I've travelled over 1500 miles for mine and travel 2 hours every Sunday to race them probably could have bought another whippy or 2with the diesel money (w00t) :wub: but what I meant was there are lovely homes waiting for whips sometimes from folk who have thought long and hard but they don't know where to look :thumbsup:

Forgot to say not all impulse buys are a bad thing :D :wub:

post_2014_1148283320_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nina said:
What are the good ways of finding a new home for a dog?

Well i would have thought it far better to re-contact the original breeder to begin with to see if they were perhaps happy to take the dog back, i know this is not always possible BUT i feel they should be given the choice as any pup i have ever parted with has only ever gone to a new home on the understanding that if anything ever happened at ANY point in their lives & the people could no longer keep them i did NOT under any circumstances want them sold or passed on & would happily bring them back home with me where they would then STAY.

The other option as i already stated would be to contact the breed rescue & explain the situation & see if they had maybe some nice homes already waiting which had been vetted or could be vetted in advance.

I kow a lot of breed rescues often have people waiting especially who dont want puppies but perhaps a little bit older dog.

Finding the right homes isn't always easy i know especially for certain breeds but there is often help out there if you genuinely need it :thumbsup:

I was not talking about pups, but older dogs being rehomed. I do agree that contacting the breeder should be the first thing considered, but if the dog did not come from a responsible breeder, it is not an option. I do not know anything about your rescue services, so really cannot comment, but here that is always considered as the last resort.

LOL I remember your journey for Spry I think half of K9 was waiting for your piks! :D

*Lesley* said:
Forgot to say not all impulse buys are a bad thing :D   :wub:
I agree but in fairness you had 3 whippys already so you knew what you was letting yourself in for :D :teehee: :wacko:

wild whippies said:
LOL I remember your journey for Spry I think half of K9 was waiting for your piks! :D  

*Lesley* said:
Forgot to say not all impulse buys are a bad thing :D   :wub:
I agree but in fairness you had 3 whippys already so you knew what you was letting yourself in for :D :teehee: :wacko:

That should have stopped me :lol: :clown: :lol: Just a glutton for punishment I guess :teehee: :wub: :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
beaker said:
http://www.epupz.co.uk/clas/viewdetails.asp?view=49555
hope the link works

not sure how this fits in with ethical breeding standards  :(

and the add starts with ALL YOU DO IS, put a black n tan over a well bred whippet  :angry:

how many ''surplus'' pups would this suggestion make

worse, surplus, inbred, mongral pups

:(

He's not just sticking to Epupz either ! I got this email this morning...........

Hi ,

your whippet looks like she mite make a good mate for my manchester terrier stud dog is she a good worker.

regards keith Hall.

AT STUD K.C. MANCHESTER BLACK & TAN. All you do is put a "black & tan" over a well bred whippet or lurcher and keep 1 or 2 bitch pups back from such a mating, then breed the same whippet or lurcher bitch to another black & tan dog this time keep 1 dog pup back then put this dog over the 2 bitches and you have your own line of manchester terriers with good hunting instincts, job-done. 1) Hunt-up game day or night. 2) A good nose is a must. 3) Very quick of the mark. 4) Strike at full speed. 5) Turn on a six-pence. 6) A silent lamping dog. 7) Carry game back to hand. HE IS SIZE 17 1/2"

Manchester terriers sell for £500 kc or £400 none kc.

:rant:

Millie said:
beaker said:
hope the link works

and the add starts with ALL YOU DO IS, put a black n tan over a well bred whippet  :angry:

He's not just sticking to Epupz either ! I got this email this morning...........

Hi ,

your whippet looks like she mite make a good mate for my manchester terrier stud dog is she a good worker.

regards keith Hall.

AT STUD K.C. MANCHESTER BLACK & TAN. All you do is put a "black & tan" over a well bred whippet or lurcher and keep 1 or 2 bitch pups back from such a mating, then breed the same whippet or lurcher bitch to another black & tan dog this time keep 1 dog pup back then put this dog over the 2 bitches and you have your own line of manchester terriers with good hunting instincts, job-done. 1) Hunt-up game day or night. 2) A good nose is a must. 3) Very quick of the mark. 4) Strike at full speed. 5) Turn on a six-pence. 6) A silent lamping dog. 7) Carry game back to hand. HE IS SIZE 17 1/2"

i got the exact same email, :angry: :angry:

is that not soliciting business or summat

if thats not ''all about the money'' i don't know what is

beaker said:
hope the link works

:rant: Have just had this e-mailed to me :rant: Not even going to bother to reply :rant:

arn't manchester terriers on the vulnerable breed list?

if they are surely he would be better concentrating on the genetic health of the breed not trying to make a quick buck diluting the gene pool breeding mongrals

Roedeane said:
yet there are one or two on k9 I would not give a moment of my time.
very well said, I have to agree with you there. It horrifies me the way k9 buckled when vested interests were involved. There are people in all walks of life who manage somehow to worm their way into positions of authority where they can pontificate on the wrongs of others when maybe their own actions wouldn't stand a lot of scrutiny.

Just my opinion.....

Angela

Hey Angela, hope your keeping well :thumbsup: Good post by the way. :D

Jac (Buffy's mom)

wild whippies said:
Hey Angela, hope your keeping well :thumbsup:   Good post by the way. :D
Jac (Buffy's mom)

Thanks, I'm grateful for that.

I have certainly advertised on the internet (but not k9 or epupz). When I wanted to place a puppy bitch from a (thankfully) small litter last year, not wanting her to end up a sad reject in a show home, I advertised for a pet home and was overwhelmed by the response. As a result I was able to pick and choose the very best of homes on offer and feel vastly relieved at the result. People who use the internet to search for a puppy generally have done their homework and know what they want. Isn’t this rather different from an impulse buy after seeing an advert in the local paper?

>People who use the internet to search for a puppy generally have done their homework and know what they want. Isn’t this rather different from an impulse buy after seeing an advert in the local paper?

I don't agree with the generally bit. I think that it's much the same thing. Except that it can be even lazier. :( After all you don't even need to leave the house to buy a free ads paper. Just push a button and press some keys and voila there's the litter ads.

How can anyone know what they want from a puppy if they haven't seen the lines, met the dogs and the breeders. Best way of finding out what a future pups temperament is going to be like is to meet it's dam and the more of the family the better. Also get a feel for which breeders are on the same wavelength in terms of what the buyer is looking for. Temperament is so important in a pet dog particularly if there are children around.

IMO this is best done before seeing cute puppy photos and even worse having them there in front of you. Also a very good idea is to have spoken to at least one person who is knowledgable about the breed.

Millie said:
beaker said:
hope the link works

Hi ,

regards keith Hall.

I,ve had that email today as well but in mine he specified my brindle bitch and asked if she was a good worker

I sold some of my pups through epupz last year and carefuly vetted the homes but had to be careful as one contact was from abroad I took advise and was told it was a money laundering scam and not to reply to them

oakmoorehill said:
Millie said:
beaker said:
hope the link works

Hi ,

regards keith Hall.

I,ve had that email today as well but in mine he specified my brindle bitch and asked if she was a good worker

I sold some of my pups through epupz last year and carefuly vetted the homes but had to be careful as one contact was from abroad I took advise and was told it was a money laundering scam and not to reply to them

I have sent an email concerning this ad and explained what has been happening. So we'll see if anything is done.

Seraphina said:
Strike Whippets said:
.There are genuine reasons for adult dogs needing new homes, but again I personally think there are better ways of finding a good home without these free ad places ........Just my  opinion though  :)
Does that really matter WHY the dog needs a new home? If somebody does not want a dog because they got sick of it, isn't it better that they do re-home him/her, rather than just chucking the dog in the backyard and neglect it? Or taking it to the nearest rescue? I think if the dog is in such a situation it at least has a chance to find better home. And more people this ad reaches better the chance for the dog.

What are the good ways of finding a new home for a dog?

IF you read what I actually wrote correctly, you'll see that I was on about adults dogs who need genuine new homes ........NOT all adult dogs are neglected and thrown out in the back yard .......and yes in cases like this most other homes would be MUCH better however they were found :thumbsup: ........I personally feel that I think its MUCH better to contact the breeder of the dog or the breed rescues, as free ad places DO attract dog/puppie dealers and are VERY easy to just phone and view the dog, rather than go through a good breeders/rescues screening process ............But as I said earlier ......This is just my personal opinon :- "

IF you read what I actually wrote correctly, you'll see that I was on about adults dogs who need genuine new homes ........NOT all adult dogs are neglected and thrown out in the back yard .......and yes in cases like this most other homes would be MUCH better however they were found :thumbsup: ........I personally feel that I think its MUCH better to contact the breeder of the dog or the breed rescues, as free ad places DO attract dog/puppie dealers and are VERY easy to just phone and view the dog, rather than go through a good breeders/rescues screening process ............But as I said earlier ......This is just my personal opinon :- "

I agree 100% :thumbsup:

I was not talking about pups, but older dogs being rehomed.  I do agree that contacting the breeder should be the first thing considered, but if the dog did not come from a responsible breeder, it is not an option.  I do not know anything about your rescue services, so really cannot comment, but here that is always considered as the last resort.

I was also talking about "older dogs" which is why i said in my opinion to contact the breeder, as a responsible genuine breeder should be there for the life of a dog they have bred not just its puppyhood :thumbsup:

Likewise, i can not comment on breed rescues in other countries but the majority of ours over here are in place to help dogs that have fallen under unfortunate circumstances whatever the reason & are needing a new home, however this does not mean for breeders to unload surplus stock whether puppies or adults BUT genuine people who because of circumstances maybe ie: death, illness, divorce, to name but a few can not any longer keep the dog & maybe the breeder for whatever reason can not be of any help.

Equally it is in place to help those that have been dumped, abandoned & mistreated.

I have already given my opinion on puppies saying if you have not got adequate homes waiting & can not keep any surplus pups if the need arises DO NOT BREED.

If you have to look for a home for a pup for a genuine reason, maybe a potential owner has changed their mind etc, there are many breed club secretaries who have lists of people who have contacted them enquiring for a pup or perhaps an older dog & it is easy to inform the secretary that you maybe have a pup available & they can pass on either your details or the people's who are looking.

Most peope who have contacted Breed Secretarys have at least done their homework on the breed, contacted the K.C for a list of Breed Clubs & Secretaries & on the whole are serious enough about the breed they have chosen to put in the hard work &effort of finding a suitable pup.

Its just my personal opinion that i dont think pups or older dogs should be advertised on places like Epups or free ads like they were nothing better than a second hand car up for sale to all :(

i dont think it matters much where you advertise your puppies.if you are a sensible dedicated breeeder you can usually sort out the wheat from the chaff. :thumbsup: (and this can be over the phone before you even lay eyes on them!) i know i used to do when i bred.i sent more than one person packing as unsuitable. :- " also i never ever sold to someone on their first visit.i used to get them down for a visit,check out all the details,find out where they came from,chat to another breeder from that area and see if i could get any info about them and possible their vet,ask hundreds of questions,(and if they didnt like it then id show them the door!)and after all that if i thought they were suitable id take a deposit.then they would be invited back again a few weeks later to see the pups again and they would sometimes come 3 or 4 times before the pups were ready to go.they were made to sign a contract saying if for any reason they couldnt keep the dog then i would be offered the dog back.many of the people who bought pups from me came back many years later after their first dog had passed away and bought another from us and they said they wouldnt dream of going elsewhere.im a pretty good judge of character but tbh i used to watch people with my dogs and how they reacted to them.if my dogs didnt like them then usually neither did i! :oops:

:thumbsup:

kris said:
i dont think it matters much where you advertise your puppies.if you are a sensible dedicated breeeder you can usually sort out the wheat from the chaff. :thumbsup: (and this can be over the phone before you even lay eyes on them!) i know i used to do when i bred.i sent more than one person packing as unsuitable. :- " also i never ever sold to someone on their first visit.i used to get them down for a visit,check out all the details,find out where they came from,chat to another breeder from that area and see if i could get any info about them and possible their vet,ask hundreds of questions,(and if they didnt like it then id show them the door!)and after all that if i thought they were suitable id take a deposit.then they would be invited back again a few weeks later to see the pups again and they would sometimes come 3 or 4 times before the pups were ready to go.they were made to sign a contract saying if for any reason they couldnt keep the dog then i would be offered the dog back.many of the people who bought pups from me came back many years later after their first dog had passed away and bought another from us and they said they wouldnt dream of going elsewhere.im a pretty good judge of character but tbh i used to watch people with my dogs and how they reacted to them.if my dogs didnt like them then usually neither did i! :oops:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back