The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Epupz

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kris said:
i dont think it matters much where you advertise your puppies.if you are a sensible dedicated breeeder you can usually sort out the wheat from the chaff. :thumbsup: (and this can be over the phone before you even lay eyes on them!) i know i used to do when i bred.i sent more than one person packing as unsuitable. :- " also i never ever sold to someone on their first visit.i used to get them down for a visit,check out all the details,find out where they came from,chat to another breeder from that area and see if i could get any info about them and possible their vet,ask hundreds of questions,(and if they didnt like it then id show them the door!)and after all that if i thought they were suitable id take a deposit.then they would be invited back again a few weeks later to see the pups again and they would sometimes come 3 or 4 times before the pups were ready to go.they were made to sign a contract saying if for any reason they couldnt keep the dog then i would be offered the dog back.many of the people who bought pups from me came back many years later after their first dog had passed away and bought another from us and they said they wouldnt dream of going elsewhere.im a pretty good judge of character but tbh i used to watch people with my dogs and how they reacted to them.if my dogs didnt like them then usually neither did i! :oops:

I agree Kris in the respect that it is down to YOU as the breeder to vet ANY potential homes & new owners BUT i still feel there are a far better calibre of serious people who contact Breed Secretaries & Rescues etc & NOT Puppy Dealers as with the likes of free ads etc.

Also baring in mind that some people are impossibly naive & take anyone who contacts them at face value i think this sort of advertising can leave an open door for the unscrupulous BOTH selling & buying. :thumbsup:

if the breeder was maybe a first time breeder then yes id say its better to advertise in a doggy publication like our dogs or dog world,as its hard to sort out the good from the bad when youre inexperienced.but i dont think any form of advertising will weed out the genuine serious buyer from the dealer or person who wants a dog for all the wrong reasons. .trouble is a lot of the folk who buy those papers are looking to buy a show pup from an established breeder.those looking for just a pet will look on epupz or any other place they can think of.they may then get interested in showing, agility or racing or any other hobby involving dogs by going to the breeders home and hearing about the fun you can have with your dog and meeting like minded folk who are also nuts about their breed!i know we started lots of folk on a showing career after seeing all our rosettes and trophies.and we always encouraged them and gave them all the help they needed.its a hard line to tread,no matter where you advertise youre going to get unsuitable and suitable people

Last edited by a moderator:
kris said:
if the breeder was maybe a first time breeder then yes id say its better to advertise in a doggy publication like our dogs or dog world,as its hard to sort out the good from the bad when youre inexperienced.but i dont think any form of advertising will weed out the genuine serious buyer from the dealer or person who wants a dog for all the wrong reasons. .trouble is a lot of the folk who buy those papers are looking to buy a show pup from an established breeder.those looking for just a pet will look on epupz or any other place they can think of.they may then get interested in showing, agility or racing or any other hobby involving dogs by going to the breeders home and hearing about the fun you can have with your dog and meeting like minded folk who are also nuts about their breed!i know we started lots of folk on a showing carreer after seeing all our rosettes and trophies.and we always encouraged them and gave them all the help they needed.its a hard line to tread,no matter where you advertise youre going to get unsuitable and suitable people

True, BUT all i am saying is most breed secretaries have been breeders themselves at some point & will ask questions & wont even bother in most cases passing on what they deem to be highly unsuitable,so you have a bit of luck on your side before you start if you do happen to be totally inexperienced :thumbsup:

nina said:
kris said:
if the breeder was maybe a first time breeder then yes id say its better to advertise in a doggy publication like our dogs or dog world,as its hard to sort out the good from the bad when youre inexperienced.but i dont think any form of advertising will weed out the genuine serious buyer from the dealer or person who wants a dog for all the wrong reasons. .trouble is a lot of the folk who buy those papers are looking to buy a show pup from an established breeder.those looking for just a pet will look on epupz or any other place they can think of.they may then get interested in showing, agility or racing or any other hobby involving dogs by going to the breeders home and hearing about the fun you can have with your dog and meeting like minded folk who are also nuts about their breed!i know we started lots of folk on a showing carreer after seeing all our rosettes and trophies.and we always encouraged them and gave them all the help they needed.its a hard line to tread,no matter where you advertise youre going to get unsuitable and suitable people

True, BUT all i am saying is most breed secretaries have been breeders themselves at some point & will ask questions & wont even bother in most cases passing on what they deem to be highly unsuitable,so you have a bit of luck on your side before you start if you do happen to be totally inexperienced :thumbsup:

this is true. :thumbsup:

BeeJay said:
:( After all you don't even need to leave the house to buy a free ads paper.  Just push a button and press some keys and voila there's the litter ads.

Yes, but you have to deliberately look for pup advertisements. There is nothing wrong with pushing buttons to find available litters. It is 1000x better than seeing pups in the window of a pet shop in busy shopping center.

How can anyone know what they want from a puppy if they haven't seen the lines, met the dogs and the breeders.  .
Yes, but buyes FIRST have to find available litter, then they have to go and look at the pups, which does take the impulse out of it somewhat.

Best way of finding out what a future pups temperament is going to be like is to meet it's dam and the more of the family the better.  Also get a feel for which breeders are on the same wavelength in terms of what the buyer is looking for.  Temperament is so important in a pet dog particularly if there are children around
Once they made contact then it depends on the breeders' integrity and the buyers' good sense to reach the decision which is right for all concerned.

Just wanted to say there is nothing wrong with epupz.

Some of the comments made ARE snobbery based.

"Good" people can read free ads too.

Yes, but you have to deliberately look for pup advertisements. There is nothing wrong with pushing buttons to find available litters. It is 1000x better than seeing pups in the window of a pet shop in busy shopping center.
How!!! Its all window shopping to me. Pressing a button or looking through a shop window, neither takes hard work. :- "

If people are serious they will go out of their way to do the groundwork, go & meet people, speak to people, contact the right sources to find out all they can about the chosen breed.

If necessary sit on a waiting list for the right pup.

Being able to go into a shop & buy one is the same to me as seeing them advertised in a free ads or epupz.

This is only my opinion of course & each to their own. :thumbsup:

As Kris so rightly said it is down to the person that is selling them to make the necessary checks WHEREVER they are being advertised BUT i have to say these free ads & Epupz dont always seem to attract the most "responsible" sellers of puppies especially if someone is looking for an easy route to get shot of a litter :(

I work in ad industry and have done for last 18 years,for chamber of commerce to running my own publishing company and RULE 1: is "WHEN ADVERTISING ALWAYS PUT YOUR EGGS IN MORE THAN ONE BASKET"

The way I see it is. Unless you are part of a breed ring or know someone who knows someone then it can be difficult to find a puppy. The free ads and the sites online are basically what you could call the middle man, it is the point of contact from owner to breeder. YES there are bad breeders, dog dealers and puppy farmers who will advertise on here because lets face it...no one is going to refuse something that is free are they? If you read the ad trader they have a section from the Kennel Club if I'm not mistaken. If you look at what I posted before about Epupz they are against puppy farming and will take the relevant steps to stamp it out.

Being a first time puppy owner is a very exciting time for a person. They are so desperate and eager to get their new friend that when they call a breeder and are given the spanish inquisition then it might put them off. Under no circumstances am I saying that breeders asking a lot of questions is a bad thing, but I have spoken to pedigree owners who have been really put off by the attitude of breeders out there. They were treated like criminals when they just called a breeder to ask questions concerning the breed, they were spoken to as though they were children. I understand that breeders are passionate about a breed that they have however I think that what some need to understand is that these new first time owners could very well be what continue on the lines (if that makes sense)

Go to a pet shop that sells puppies and you will see some very sorry sights. When I was looking for a Cavalier pup I looked on the adtrader. Three breeders I visited were well known Cavalier breeders. Just becuase they advertise on a free site or a newspaper does not make them bad breeders. What makes a bad breeder is someone who cares for the one thing that has caused the most problems with all breeds...money. It all comes down to money at the end of the day no matter what way you look at it. The rarer the breed the more money you get for the pups which IMO is sick. If you are going to breed a litter it should be for the love of the breed not for how much you will make for the pups.

imperative said:
I work in ad industry and have done for last 18 years,for chamber of commerce to running my own publishing company and RULE 1: is "WHEN ADVERTISING ALWAYS PUT YOUR EGGS IN MORE THAN ONE BASKET"

Absolutely your perogative :thumbsup:

I am only speaking personally that i would NEVER EVER advertise a pup of mine in such a way BUT its everyones personal choice & as i said each to their own.

I'm sure we all have different opinions :thumbsup:

Opinions are fab however, most are emotive.Facts to follow.

We got our pups from epupz and we are so happy with the way in which the breeder conducted herself.The pups are lovely and healthy and we are in contact with our breeder on a very regular basis,she sends us training info etc in fact I WOULD CALL HER A FRIEND.

Other people who have had pups from her are also good peeps who love the pups the have purchased.

If a new owner cannot cope she always takes the pup back and refunds without quibble.

nina said:
How!!! Its all window shopping to me. Pressing a button or looking through a shop window, neither takes hard work. :- "

:(

A- there is a bit of difference to see live puppy saying pick me up

B- people can just walk in and walk out with a puppy, no questions asked

Last time I looked, doesn't matter how many times I pressed the button NO puppies came tumbling out of my computer :D

But seriously, if we the breeders get too precious about selling our pups (if a person asks the price, I will not sell them pup...), then we cannot be surprised people will rather go to epupz than dealing with us. Many people jus want a dog; they do not care if the angulation is not quite right, if the bite is not correct. They just want a lovely dog, of the size that suits them, dog that can be trained to be a good companion fitting into their lifestyle. Some people do not necessarily want to tramps miles and miles looking, and dealing with people who want to put them on waiting lists. Others may enjoy the looking, but still may get sick of the dog once the novelty wears of. You just cannot generalize.

Last time I looked, doesn't matter how many times I pressed the button NO puppies came tumbling out of my computer :D
THERE ARE ALWAYS PLENTY OF PICCIES OF THEM THAT DO!!!

But seriously, if we the breeders get too precious about selling our pups

MY PUPS ARE TOO PRECIOUS TO ME TO BE SOLD WILLY NILLY FULL STOP, but i can see where you are coming from & if people are happy to conduct their puppy sales in free ads & epupz then thats great, just not personally for me :))

Seraphina said:
nina said:

:(

[/qu

A- there is a bit of difference to see live puppy saying pick me up

B- people can just walk in and walk out with a puppy, no questions asked

But seriously, if we the breeders get too precious about selling our pups (if a person asks the price, I will not sell them pup...), then we cannot be surprised people will rather go to epupz than dealing with us. Many people jus want a dog; they do not care if the angulation is not quite right, if the bite is not correct. They just want a lovely dog, of the size that suits them, dog that can be trained to be a good companion fitting into their lifestyle. Some people do not necessarily want to tramps miles and miles looking, and dealing with people who want to put them on waiting lists. Others may enjoy the looking, but still may get sick of the dog once the novelty wears of. You just cannot generalize.

Very well said! :thumbsup:

imperative said:

We got our pups from epupz and we are so happy with the way in which the breeder conducted herself.The pups are lovely and healthy and we are in contact with our breeder on a very regular basis,she sends us training info etc in fact I WOULD CALL HER A FRIEND.

Other people who have had pups from her are also good peeps who love the pups the have purchased.

If a new owner cannot cope she always takes the pup back and refunds without quibble.

Thats a great story with a happy ending & its good to hear BUT i can only speak for the breed i am most involved in & unfortunately a high majority of the free ads/epupz dogs/puppies end up at a later date going through rescue, sold by irresponsible people out to make a quick buck to equally irresponsible people who happened to think that pup in the photo just looked "so cute" they just had to have it, without knowing ANYTHING about the breed. :(

Lynn-Alexandria said:
Being a first time puppy owner is a very exciting time for a person.  They are so desperate and eager to get their new friend that when they call a breeder and are given the spanish inquisition then it might put them off. 

I always shudder when breeders talk about TIME WASTERS. I will talk to any person who calls me just to find out about the breed, often for hours. If they call in bad time I arrange another time for them to call back. I invite them to come for visit even if i do not have pups, or litter coming - which is most of the time as i have only bred 11 litters in the past 35 years. I do it it to promote the breed. Unless I have pups or litter imminent i do not take orders. Instead I send the people to somebody who does have pups or bitch in pup. I find it quite distastful when I hear breeders to say things like "When buyer asks me what colours are my pups, i will not sell them one. They have to take what i give them." After experience like that i would not blame a buyer to rather go to epups and buy their dog from the first person NOT asking questions :(

nina said:
THERE ARE ALWAYS PLENTY OF PICCIES OF THEM THAT DO!!!

But seriously, if we the breeders get too precious about selling our pups

MY PUPS ARE TOO PRECIOUS TO ME TO BE SOLD WILLY NILLY FULL STOP, but i can see where you are coming from & if people are happy to conduct their puppy sales in free ads & epupz then thats great, just not personally for me :))

Spot on :thumbsup: .......As Nina says some people are for epupz/free ad things and some are against ......simple really ........All just our own personal opinions and all :)) .......

nina said:
imperative said:

Thats a great story with a happy ending & its good to hear BUT i can only speak for the breed i am most involved in & unfortunately a high majority of the free ads/epupz dogs/puppies end up at a later date going through rescue, sold by irresponsible people out to make a quick buck to equally irresponsible people who happened to think that pup in the photo just looked "so cute" they just had to have it, without knowing ANYTHING about the breed. :(

I agree with you Nina, there are too many people out there who do in fact get a dog without knowing how to care for it correctly. My point was that there are also good people out there who do the research and know about the breed but are severely put off by some.

nina said:
imperative said:

Nina you obviously care deeply for your dogs and for that I applaud you.

Nothing I am saying here is meant to demean,debase or degrade anything that you have said.

I just get the feeling that many of the peeps complaining are saying that those who look for a dog on epupz can turn out to be more irresponsible that someone who purchases a lovely glossy magazine.

The dogs we have couldnt have a better home.And I know we are decent people and therefore there are others like us out there. When I start breeding I will vet people and will get advise from my breeder and people who have been there and done it and anyone calling from epupz will be treated with the same level of respect as anyone else.I only hope and pray they are true and decent dog lovers like We are.

Spot on  :thumbsup:   .......As Nina says some people are for epupz/free ad things and some are against ......simple really ........All just our own personal opinions and all  :)) .......
Thats exactly it, personal opinions & i guess we all differ.

There are obviously good & bad breeders where ever they choose to advertise, the same as good and bad buyers :thumbsup:

As long as i can go to bed happy & sleep at night knowing that nothing even remotely connected to any of my dogs is being advertised in a way that i dont personally agree with is all that counts.

Nighty night all :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back