The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Excessive Behaviour

Violet Turner

Registered
Dog Walking Manchester
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Excessive Licking

When a dog licks it releases pleasurable endorphins, which gives dogs a feeling of comfort and also relieves stress.

Licking can be a sign of affection – if excessive and you don’t want the dog to ‘kiss’ you then ignoring it and not giving the dog attention can decrease it.

Dogs can lick themselves out of boredom, stress or anxiety, in which case you need to give them the physical and mental stimulation they need, and address the stress or anxiety.

Licking can also be caused by allergies, such as to plants, insects, food or medication. If you think this may be the case take your dog to the vet - they will be able to give you advice and run some tests.

Dogs may also lick because they like the taste of an owner's skin.

Pay close attention to the licking of their bums, because excessive anal cleaning can indicate that the glands need to be expressed/relieved.

Dog saliva has healing properties – it contains enzymes that kill off bacteria, so when a dog licks himself, it may be to get rid of dead tissue and clean dirt from wounds.

If your dog licks you there may be a hidden message, e.g. the water bowl is empty or she is hungry. Be sure to consider the possibility that something is making her physically uncomfortable. For instance, if you notice your dog biting her paw repeatedly, she could have a thorn or sharp stone stuck in her foot pad.

Treatment

For skin allergies: Changing the dog’s food, changing the shampoo or getting salmon oil to mix in the dog’s food.

For anxiety or stress: Adaptil for dogs - it’s a plug-in and it infuses the air with calming oils.

For hormonal imbalance: Phytopet Balance - a liquid herbal supplement that contains a combination of botanical extracts to help support hormonal balance.

If a gastric foreign body is found, surgery may be required.

If a bacterial infection is found, antibacterial medications may be needed.

(Source for some of the above: Why Dogs Lick, Dogs that Lick, Ask Victoria Stilwell)

Last edited:
Is there any copyright restriction on these articles?

Copyright is assumed, so the articles will be copyright unless they specifically state that you can reproduce the contents - and they need to be cited even if paraphrased.
You can reproduce a 'fair' amount of the text without permission, but note that lists, such as the bullet list in the post on excessive barking, are exceptions and you can't reproduce these without permission.

I think you might also have used Excessive Thirst in Dogs in your post on excessive drinking?

Well, yes. Copyright essentially means that you can't use what someone else has written without their permission. So the Dogforum site owners could be prosecuted. So it is a bit of a problem. In fact @Josie might want to remove the posts to protect the website.

Generally you can quote up to 400 words (citing your source) under 'fair use'. However, if that is a 'substantial percentage' of the total article that could be challenged - use your judgement. You also need permission to quote displayed lists, photos, figures, poems... I suspect if there's boxed text in the article you'd need it for that too as it's 'standalone'.

The safest thing to do is paraphrase in your own words and cite your source.

Well, yes. Copyright essentially means that you can't use what someone else has written without their permission. So the Dogforum site owners could be prosecuted. So it is a bit of a problem. In fact @Josie might want to remove the posts to protect the website.
Why?

@Josie @Oliver what do you want me to do delete the post or what?
i obviously spent time on it i didn't just copy and paste most of it i got tips of the internet yes i agree i was wrong but i don't get it @JudyN

Last edited:
Why? I'm confused of why?

I have cite my source by the post below

You haven't said which information comes from which sites though, and you haven't cited the one I mentioned that I think some of the info on excessive drinking is from. You really need to edit the posts above to add source details in the places where you quote or use information from them.

You haven't said which information comes from which sites though, and you haven't cited the one I mentioned that I think some of the info on excessive drinking is from. You really need to edit the posts above to add source details in the places where you quote or use information from them.
This is way over the top i think because i spend a lot of time doing it and its going to take too long redoing it....

No, even though you post it, Josie is ultimately responsible for what appears on the site, just as if you posted graphic sexual images. Any reasonable copyright holder would simply ask her to remove the content, but it doesn't stop the fact that it's still illegal, and it wouldn't reflect well on the forum if she knowingly let it stay.

Hi @Violet Turner, @JoanneF and @JudyN If I’m honest I’m not 100% sure on all the copy right legislations regarding use on other places.

If the places of information are credited then I’m not sure if this is then acceptable.

I will speak to Oliver about this subject and make a conclusion.

Hi @Violet Turner, @JoanneF and @JudyN If I’m honest I’m not 100% sure on all the copy right legislations regarding use on other places.

If the places of information are credited then I’m not sure if this is then acceptable.

I will speak to Oliver about this subject and make a conclusion.
I'm happy with deleting it because its making @JoanneF uncomfortable on my other threads i don't like it so you and @Oliver can decide...

Copyright has educational exemptions, doesn't it ;)
Ye, but I believe it has to be clearly educational, e.g. part of a school/college course - and the source still needs to be acknowledged.

Violet, as you've spent so long on this already, if you like I could 'edit' your posts to paraphrase them sufficiently, and stick the citations you've added in appropriate places? I could PM my versions to you for you to check, then you could edit the original posts to paste them in? Then we'll have all the valuable info without any question marks about copyright. I have no work till next week so have some time :)

No problem - I should be able to do it this evening. Then we can ask Josie to remove all the 'off topic' posts.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back