The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

First Time Whippet Owner - Distressed Puppy

venture

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have found this site and registered in the hope that someone can help me with some advice. I have had a whippet puppy for 4 days now. He is 4 months old and to be honest I have never experienced behaviour problems like it with any other type of puppy I have trained in the past. To be honest even though he is adorable he is driving me and my neighbours mad. I understand that whippets are very owner loving dogs and need to be around their owner a lot, but I seem to have turned into a recluse as I can't leave the house any more because of the noise he is causing as well as the damage to my doors in the house. Please. please can some one help. Other websites offer advice but it costs a fortune so I am hoping someone can help. Great website by the way with some adorable dogs.

Oh dear.

I've only ever had a whippet pup so Iv nothing to compare it to. Nelly was a bit of a sod as a pup but I just presumed all pups could be that way?

Amongst other things I remember her destroying the kitchen door frame. She hated bieng locked in the kitchen at night, although she had the comfiest bed in the world.

Although we'd been advised from friends to sit tight and leave her be noisy, after a few nights of this nightmare we went in to see her and she was actually visibly very distressed :( We moved her bed outside our bedroom door and from then on she slept right through the night and was as good as gold. She just wanted to be nearer to us poor lamb.

Im sorry you're having a trauma, but you're not alone, I can remember how stressed I felt at times. I think its probably a bit of trial and error alongside lots of perseverance, however im sure that the more experienced whippet owners will give you more solid advice.

On the bright side im sure that underneath all that naughtiness your pup is the most adorable boy :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh i forgot to mention, alongside the perseverance and trial and error stuff, laughin helped me, afterall they are only babies that need teaching, they dont actually know what they are doing wrong.

Good luck

Try radio, clock something warm for her to snuggle up to. To keep your house and her safe you may need to invest in a crate sounds harsh but mine had one as a pup knew they were safe.

May have to let her have a friend :- "

If it's during the day then all of the above may help, leave her for short periods then extend the time or get someone to walk her while your out.

My one dog used to sleep in our room because he didn't like being on his own at night, he was very good and stayed in his basket all night :wub:

Good luck, don't give up :luck: :huggles:

welcome to K9 :cheers: if he is 4 months old could you ask the previous owners what their routine was because it could be the change of routine which is upsetting him, they may have made a rod for your back so to speak he may have had company 24/7

I would recommend getting a crate with some soft bedding because of the damage he is doing, because he may also hurt himself in the process, it is hard but you will need to be firm with him otherwise you will never leave the house, I would start by leaving him for short spells then fussing him when you get back,maybe giving him a treat, he wont see it as such a bad thing and when he realises you will be coming back he may start to calm a bit, so then you can leave him a bit longer each time, I would also explain to your neighbours what you are planning to do so they can prepare for the noise (w00t)

Most pups cry at first especially at night and 4 days is very early days, but from what I've heard on here and my own experience they grow out of it but only if you don't give in to him each time, another way is you could always get another whippet to keep him company :D

Like Noo said if you persevere you will be well rewarded because you couldn't wish for a better breed IMO.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck :luck: :luck:

dont let it in your bedroom put it in a cage and keep it warm with a heat pad and cover the cage with a blanket this works for us. after 2 days they should go in them selves. good luck with your pup

Hi. I agree with Lesley, get a crate and put the pup in when you are in the same room. Ignore any noise. Build up from a few minutes at a time. Feed in the crate and give treats. Your pup will see the crate as his bed. Go out with no fuss and straight back in. Build up the time. 4 days is very little time. He will be very frightened and bewildered and you are the only security he has. It WILL get better. Some pics would be very nice. They must be in jpeg and under75kb.

Ooooh Blimey Venture,

I know just where you are coming from, although I had a slightly different angle! This post is long, sorry, but it's a subject very close to my heart!

I read, and read about Whips and then got the most gorgeous puppy in the world. Took 5 weeks off and had a ball with my boy. During this time, I built up the amount of time I could spend out of the room and then out of the house.

I work, and although not full time, the pup had to get used to me leaving him. I had a puppy sitter who came for an hour a day, at first just playing in the house, and then once safe to go out (re vacc) to take him for a walk.

Crate at night time, no compromise, took five nights for him to realise he was not coming out to play (never a problem since) Crate during the day when left (big advocate of this, from his safety to my posessions point of view)

Ollie was in the end, being left for a max of two hours per day, and was fine for three months, then we had Easter four day break. We went out and did loads, BIG MISTAKE! After four days of constant companionship (I so wanted to spend loads of time with him) I left for work on the Tuesday morning, and he howled and howled, salivated so he was soaking and shaking incessantly. Dog walker was devastated, neighbours were worried (thankfully concerned not angry) but it was a nightmare. I was so, so worried about what to do. Ollie's breeders were VERY supportive, but even then right at the beginning, they felt maybe he was not going to cope with being left. They offered me lots of suggestions.........

I took the hold fast approach and thought he would just have to deal with it ( he had been fine before, he just needed to get back into the swing of the routine), but he stopped eating and was so distressed. K9 was fantastic at this time, the suggestions were brilliant and I don't think I could have coped without everyone's support.

I videoed (sp) to check things out while I was gone, but we tried the following;

Tape of me snoring being played (can't believe that I'm owning up to this!!)

Radio left on

Kongs stuffed with Cream Cheese / Pate etc

A million toys

DAP diffusers

An anxiety herbal remedy to calm him given orally

Paying friend's teenage children to just sit in the lounge whilst he was in cage in kitchen (this worked)

Telly on (as though we were in the other room)

Giving him the run of kitchen in desperation (thankfully no damage)

None of these worked, so I took the million suggestions (albeit many in jest) that Whippets love Whippets and they need company and now have TWO. Ollie is 11 months and Jake is nine months (thankfully I found a breeder with a dog she had run on to 14 weeks so this was a bit easier). From day one, Ollie was a different dog. He had no probs with staying behind with Jake, and Jake was kennel reared by his breeder so had no seperation anxiety whatsoever, he had a bestest buddy Ollie to play with!

I wish you the very very best of luck. Please don't give up, whippets are the most loving, intuitive, clever dogs to walk this earth and your life can only be enhanced by having one at your side (If not multiples which is my dream now!!!). If I had listened to the advice given to me by some people I wouldn't have one, let alone two best friends cuddled up to me :wub: I had inflicted this trauma on my boy, and therefore I had to fix it. Not just make him suffer and pass on the problem to someone else in the process if I rehomed him.

Whippet rescue were also very helpful and supportive when I started a very hurried search for another dog. Sometimes it just needs someone to listen when you feel that desperate to help you see things clearly.

I sincerely hope that things work out for you, and if you want to talk to me then pm me and I'll send you my phone number, if nothing else just to have a rant!

Take care, and big hugs to your pup

Thanks to everyone who gave advice especially Tracy. Ill certainly call you should I get desperate and I promise it wont be at 3 am.

I have now acquired a cage from a friend of mine who is a vet. Miles has just had his first 10 minutes inside and wasn't impressed. Howled for Scotland. Ive managed to get a clock that ticks and a hot water bottle. Im not looking forward to tonight and wish I had issued ear plugs to the neighbours in advance.

Miles is a very timid dog but overly affectionate. I obtained him from people who kept him outside and he was with another puppy so I suppose being separated from his brother and coming into a house for the first time is traumatic for him. I don't think he was very well looked after there and didn't have many home comforts. He is certainly making up for it now. As I sit here on the computer he is behind me on the sofa sprawled out and moaning away to himself having just been released from his new prison.

I don't think looking after babies is as stressful as whippet rearing. Good thing about babies is you can stick a dummy in their mouth no such luck with whippets so Im afraid Ill just have to persevere and hope that the nervous breakdown comes after Xmas.

Many thanks once again to everyone who posted and Im sure Ill be back on here many times. If anyone else has any more tips for first time whippet owners like myself please can you let me know.

PS One thing that concerns me with the hot water bottle. Isnt there the chance that the dog's claws will puncture it?

shane said:
Try radio, clock something warm for her to snuggle up to. To keep your house and her safe you may need to invest in a crate sounds harsh but mine had one as a pup knew they were safe. May have to let her have a friend :- " 

If it's during the day then all of the above may help, leave her for short periods then extend the time or get someone to walk her while your out.

My one dog used to sleep in our room because he didn't like being on his own at night, he was very good and stayed in his basket all night :wub:

Good luck, don't give up :luck:   :huggles:

spot on advice! it may take time, but it works. crates are an investment. the pup has his 'own space' to chill out in, and it keeps them safe with regards to chewing stuff through seperation anxiety and possibly getting splinters, cuts or even choking.

any chance of pics..... :- "

venture said:
Thanks to everyone who gave advice especially Tracy. Ill certainly call you should I get desperate and I promise it wont be at 3 am.
I have now acquired a cage from a friend of mine who is a vet.  Miles has just had his first 10 minutes inside and wasn't impressed.  Howled for Scotland. Ive managed to get a clock that ticks and a hot water bottle.  Im not looking forward to tonight and wish I had issued ear plugs to the neighbours in advance.

Miles is a very timid dog but overly affectionate. I obtained him from people who kept him outside and he was with another puppy so I suppose being separated from his brother and coming into a house for the first time is traumatic for him.  I don't think he was very well looked after there and didn't have many home comforts.  He is certainly making up for it now.  As I sit here on the computer he is behind me on the sofa sprawled out and moaning away to himself having just been released from his new prison.

I don't think looking after babies is as stressful as whippet rearing.  Good thing about babies is you can stick a dummy in their mouth no such luck with whippets so Im afraid Ill just have to persevere and hope that the nervous breakdown comes after Xmas.

Many thanks once again to everyone who posted and Im sure Ill be back on here many times.  If anyone else has any more tips for first time whippet owners like myself please can you let me know.

PS One thing that concerns me with the hot water bottle.  Isnt there the chance that the dog's claws will puncture it?

Hi again Venture!

"Released from his new prison" I love it!!! Ollie is sitting watching me type, saying "Tell him, tell him, I know what he's going through!"

Have never used a hot water bottle, have to admit that I would be worried a bit too :b

Good news that you have got a crate. Remember, put him in the crate and then stay in and around the room but do not make eye contact, and do not talk to him. Any soothing or pacifying words i.e. "there's a good boy" that you speak now could reaffirm his behaviour is correct, and he will think he's doing what you want. Any anger, and his sensitive little mind will be blown and he will associate the crate with bad feeling and be forever frightened of going in it.

THE MINUTE he is quite praise him quietly and open the cage. Just tell him that he is a good boy, but DONT overdo the attention, otherwise he will associate coming out of the crate with fun and attention with you, and never want to go back in.

Try and repeat this as often as you can, but please don't give in. It will start to fall into place quite soon. They really are intelligent dogs, and learn quickly. As long as you are consistent you will be fine. It is soooo easy to think, "oh, I won't put him in today he was good yesterday", but don't be tempted! You will have to start again from scratch :(

I know this all sounds really harsh and a lot to deal with, but you have just got to find the balance between you and your boy. I guarantee that you will eventually have a well adjusted loving dog that you have a strong bond with, but it will be hard work.

He needs to respect the fact that he is required to live by your rules and have respect for you. In return you will play lots with him and give him the attention he so desperately craves, but on YOUR terms.

I am sure that lots of others on this site can give you invaluable advice, and everything I have said is just from my experience, and certainly not necessarily correct for all dogs. I do believe from what you have said however, that our two dogs have the potential to be two peas in a pod :teehee:

And a final note, if you manage to design a Whippet Dummy, get it patented pretty damn quick, you'll make a fortune!!

Take Care

Well evenn thought I have 7 other sight hounds Indy is our first pup we tryed everything we could to get her to slep at night in our out of the crate and nothing worked.

So one night I was exhausted so i put her in the crate coverd it with a big thick blankets turned everthing off no clock must light anything and whent to bed withing 5 mintes she was quiet and sleeped till we woke her up at 7 30in the morning since then she has sleeped like an angel every night and if were up to late she gets in her crate herself and whippers till we cover her up. it took us weeks of trying thinks but every pup is differnt so i would pop round to all your nabours with a bottel of wine or boxs of chocolats appoligies and as for there understanding for a few more days so you can get her settled

We put a cuddly toy in with Spry a nice big soft one, :huggles: after a while she realised that if she got in with the other two they were real live warm cuddly toys :D

My pup's alway's sleep on the bed with me and we take it from there ..........My one girl Inca was fine when she was with me, but like your's she had seperation problems ..........I worked on the assumption that dog's like the security of routine etc .......sooooo we alway's walked her, then about an hour after excersise we fed her, then we settled her down (with one of our other dogs) in a highly snuggly porta mag (w00t) ........We also left the TV on and never made a fuss of her when we left ........Like babie's I thought if she's tired, empty, comfortable and fed she'll be fine ......It worked :thumbsup: she missed us for a while, but being a babe and after a busy morning she dozed off soon enough ...... :luck: :luck:

Have to say here we have NEVER had this problem,we have been very lucky by the sounds of it :- "

All our dogs are in our room,all seven of them (w00t)

They always have been from pups, they are in crates and have never made any noise at all o:) I think they feel more secure with us and I must say I like them being with us too :D

I know not everyone wants their dogs in their bedroom :- " but I can certainly say

that they never give any bother :) and are happier being with us :D

So if you can bear it :eek: try it :thumbsup:

:luck: Good luck anyway :luck: They are definitely worth the perseverance :wub:

venture said:
I have found this site and registered in the hope that someone can help me with some advice.  I have had a whippet puppy for 4 days now.  He is 4 months old and to be honest I have never experienced behaviour problems like it with any other type of puppy I have trained in the past.  To be honest even though he is adorable he is driving me and my neighbours mad.  I understand that whippets are very owner loving dogs and need to be around their owner a lot, but I seem to have turned into a recluse as I can't leave the house any more because of the noise he is causing as well as the damage to my doors in the house. Please. please can some one help.  Other websites offer advice but it costs a fortune so I am hoping someone can help.  Great website by the way with some adorable dogs.
:( that sounds very strange behaviour if it's going on all the time. What happens if you cuddle him up? Does he go to sleep at all?

edited to add that I meant to say - perhaps he's hurt himself? Is there something wrong he can't tell you about? I remember my daughter was a nightmare at 5 months, screaming non-stop. People said that was normal, she's a baby, but it turned out she had a raging ear infection :( one course of antibiotics and she was an angel :)

Perhaps he is just very shocked at the sudden change in his circumstances and needs a lot of security and love to ease him into his new life. Be patient, and give him the love he needs to feel secure.

I started off having my pups in the bedroom (crated) for the first few weeks, and they are very happy, secure dogs who eventually chose their own sleeping place (downstairs). Starting off in the bedroom while they're young and scared doesn't necessarily mean you're making a rod for your own back :thumbsup:

Don't worry - you aren't a recluse, not after just 4 days. You're just the owner of a new puppy. Take it steady and don't expect too much. Sit tight in the warm, and enjoy the time at home with him (who wants to go out when its this cold anyway :lol: )

Really looking forward to hearing how things go :thumbsup:

Well, tried the crate last night...complete with loads of furry toys, hot water bottle, clock and plenty blankets. And you've guessed it................howl after howl after howl. At one point it sounded like somebody strangling a child and I spent most of the next two hours with my fingers in my ears and could still hear him. (w00t) He then settled and howled again then settled and fell asleep. I personally didn't sleep a wink waiting for him to howl. Result being slept in this morning and felt like a washed out rag all day. That's the bad news.

NOw for the good news. He has been so much more settled today. Not one accident on the floor, asking to go outside and then coming back in looking as proud as punch. He hasn't followed me around everywhere today and has been going into the lounge and making himself comfortable on the sofa amongst all the scatter cushions. In fact that's where he is at the moment sprawled out sound asleep.

As to the cage. He has been in and out it all day. At one point I had to go out. He was in the cage asleep so I just closed the cage door left the radio going and didnt close the kitchen door. He never made a sound. I waited in the lounge for about 20 mins and nothing. So out I went out for about an hour and a half and when I came back he was still sleeping. Mind you this might be due to the fact he had little sleep the night before and the night before etc. but we can't but hope.

So today hasn't been that bad and he's had lots of praise and affection and some treats. But tonight is another story. My husband and I have decided to relent and let him sleep in the bedroom in the cage in the hope that he will settle and we can all get a good nights sleep. -_-

If that dosent work then I think it will be a companion to keep him company. Wish me luck ;)

Sounds like he's starting to settle and feel more relaxed :luck: :luck: :luck: , but just remember .......You can never have just 1 Whippet lol :D

:luck: for tonight Venture, you never know if he settles tonight give him a week in your room then move him on to the landing if all goes well and quite move him about a few times more till you get him where you want him to be.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. So glad I joined this website and found such a lot of caring people.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back