The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Food recommendations

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all,

Firstly thank you all so much for your support throughout.

So we got the results today. He has severe inflammatory bowel disease.

Sounds terrifying but it’s sounds manageable.

Vet thinks he had a bug originally which has caused this issue to occur and has only gotten worse due to not knowing the cause.

He’s back on Z/D diet now and is actually eating again!! He’s also on strong antibiotics - hopefully these two things will be enough to get his bowels back to normality.

In future when he has flare ups (which can happen) he can be given steroids. They don’t want to do this yet because he’s still recovering from operation and still low immune system.

It’s something relatively positive or at least something we at least know is the issue.

Only thing he’s been doing last two nights is getting up and down CONSTANTLY at night. So no sleep for us. He’s on paracetamol and he had post op check which showed normal temperature and no soreness to belly.

I'm so glad you have an answer, @Josie. You must be so relieved, even if there isn't an easy, quick cure. So now you'll be looking for food recommendations for you and Oliver, costing no more than 50p a meal so you can afford the Z/D!

I hope Dennis recovers quickly and the treatment keeps him comfortable - and eating.

I'm so glad you have an answer, @Josie. You must be so relieved, even if there isn't an easy, quick cure. So now you'll be looking for food recommendations for you and Oliver, costing no more than 50p a meal so you can afford the Z/D!

I hope Dennis recovers quickly and the treatment keeps him comfortable - and eating.

Thanks Judy. It’s just good to know what it is and actually have a solution!

Yes tinned soup for Oliver and myself for the foreseeable future!!!

I think this is really good news, fingers crossed he will recover very soon. Thanks for the update!

Ah that’s good you have a diagnosis, tell Dennis I sympathise ;) at least it’s something you can manage :)

Thank you @Ari_RR and @Mayblossom

This is how sad it’s become but I rang Oliver today to tell him that I was actually able to pick Dens poo up in a poo bag!!! It’s been diarrhoea since October (we’ve been taking big water bottles everywhere we go for any accidents)

Good to hear you have something confirmed. Is that the food with the feather protein?

Great news that you now know what has been making Dennis feel so unwell:)

Good to hear you have something confirmed. Is that the food with the feather protein?

The vet said it’s chicken that has been blasted apart so that the body doesn’t recognise it’s chicken! It has a fancy name

The vet said it’s chicken that has been blasted apart so that the body doesn’t recognise it’s chicken! It has a fancy name

Hi Josie, my pug has also been diagnosed with IBD a couple of months ago, I’m looking for any advice you could give me as he just can’t seem to get better and the vets just aren’t helpful in any way. No one seems to want to give me advice without charging me hundreds of pounds first. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Poppy

Hi Josie, my pug has also been diagnosed with IBD a couple of months ago, I’m looking for any advice you could give me as he just can’t seem to get better and the vets just aren’t helpful in any way. No one seems to want to give me advice without charging me hundreds of pounds first. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Poppy

Hi Poppy, firstly - great name! I’ve just had a daughter and called her Poppy :)

secondly, I’m sorry to hear about your pug. It’s been a big journey for us getting a diagnosis and yes the vets are very eager to charge!!

so Dennis is now on the Hills Z/D diet which is hydrolysed so it’s chicken but the body doesn’t recognise its chicken. It is expensive though so get it from zooplus, pet planet or fetch. I usually go wherever best offer! Although now he is being fussy with that diet :-(

Den is also on steroids every other day but that’s last resort and it does help but his poos can be different every day. Before the diagnosis he was pooing in house and it was like water diarrhoea so it has definitely helped.

Has your pug been on antibiotics? There’s a certain one which really helped Den but his IBD kept coming back so they decided steroids.

have your vets not helped at all?

I’m sorry to say, it’s an expensive issue to have :-(

I hope very much that a workable solution is just round the corner for both of your dogs.

My dogs only like 'meaty' treats, so for my pup's 15th birthday I knew the cake would need to be meat-based.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back