The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Frightened

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
In a perfect world the law is the law & we have a perfect police force
we've got a few freinds in the police force (1 high up) it's not the police that are at fault it's the stupid rules they have to operate under.

we have probably the best police force in the world but they will never be able to show how good they realy are till the government changes policies and gets them out on the streets dealing with crimes rather than sat behind a desk filling loads of paperwork in.

we've got a few freinds in the police force (1 high up) it's not the police that are at fault it's the stupid rules they have to operate under.we have probably the best police force in the world but they will never be able to show how good they realy are till the government changes policies and gets them out on the streets dealing with crimes rather than sat behind a desk filling loads of paperwork in.

Obviously not the same lot i dealt with cos quite frankly they couldn't of cared less either way.

Didn't even see the point in me reporting the dogs as stolen as they said "not to worry, they will probably be dumped sooner or later anyway"

Yet, funniest thing of all? When they knew i had been contacted & asked for a ransom I was warned if i did pay it I could be prosecuted for aiding & abetting criminal behaviour!!!

Best police force in the world? LAUGHABLE!

Probably like everything there is good & bad but the ones i dealt with were definitely not much cop (excuse the pun)

Nina

Last edited by a moderator:
I report quite a few crimes to the police through my work and to be quite honest it's just a waste of time. I called once to report a crime and when I told the police-woman the criminals address (it was a 30 minute drive away) she got shirty and told me he lived too far away?! I've reported numerous crimes, each time spending 3 hours giving statements, names/addresses of all involved and hear NOTHING back from the Police?? What hope is there when they actually have to look for these criminals, if they can't find them when it's handed to them on a plate? :wacko:

LasVegasNo1 said:
I report quite a few crimes to the police through my work and to be quite honest it's just a waste of time. I called once to report a crime and when I told the police-woman the criminals address (it was a 30 minute drive away) she got shirty and told me he lived too far away?! I've reported numerous crimes, each time spending 3 hours giving statements, names/addresses of all involved and hear NOTHING back from the Police?? What hope is there when they actually have to look for these criminals, if they can't find them when it's handed to them on a plate? :wacko:

Sounds about right to me, sad but true.

Nina

if anyone came near my dogs i would boot them that hard in the b***s they would be wearing them as earings, then while they were down i would lay my boot right in :rant:

Do be careful Tina. Keep your mobile handy & stay alert.

I got approached in a similar way by a traveller type, asked loads of questions about my dogs (didn't answer most of them) he didn't offer me money but it scared the hell out of me so I avoided the place for a while & kept looking over my shoulder.

My youngest lurcher is thankfully quite protective now he's a little older so I feel slightly less vulnerable but have to walk on my own so might get one of those sprays too.

i went to a couple of defence classes where they teach lasses how to floor someone in one go which gives you time to scarper, they teach stuff like eye gougeing, how to hit them so they can't breath etc and where all the vulnerable bits are, not just the obvious meat and veg :wacko:

my brother does another type of marshal art combination and he showed me something called a 'cow bite' where you grab the underside of the inside of the arms 'the bingo wings' and twist leaving even the stongest person squeeling, he told me to try it on him , which i did :D and had him hitting notes that Mariah Carie would be proud of (w00t)

maybe you should get yourselves to some self defence classes, keep you and your dogs safer :thumbsup:

Loopy said:
Do be careful Tina. Keep your mobile handy & stay alert.

I got approached in a similar way by a traveller type, asked loads of questions about my dogs (didn't answer most of them) he didn't offer me money but it scared the hell out of me so I avoided the place for a while & kept looking over my shoulder.

My youngest lurcher is thankfully quite protective now he's a little older so I feel slightly less vulnerable but have to walk on my own so might get one of those sprays too.

Good for you, i've just ordered another one too. Thing is i personally feel they are a godsend (i'm talking of the NOT strictly legal ones). All joking aside, its fine if you are a guy to have things like metal bars, baseball bats etc in your car, i dont blame you for one minute & also they can be easily explained & doubtful that you would be done for an illegal weapon.

If someone threatened or attacked you or tried to steal your dogs i think a guy suddenly pulling out something like this would be an absolute deterrant (know i'd run!) & the perpetraitor would see you meant business & would probably think twice, all to the good, probably thankfully wouldn't have to use it but the shock factor alone would send the person running.

However if you are a lone woman, barely 5ft, slim build 7.5 stone would it have the same effect?? I think not! By the time a guy double your size had grabbed it off you in one swift motion & battered YOU with it instead, it wouldn't be much good!

I, personally would rather carry a spray that in a situation where a guy/guys tried to assault me or my dogs, i could give one short sharp blast (if used correctly of course) & disable them just long enough to hopefully give myself chance to get away, also surely far better than having to actually use a weapon & maybe end up on a murder charge for fracturing someones skull & killing them!!

I'm sure there will be those that disagree, which i understand BUT lone women out walking are an easy target there is no doubt & i think with no protection you are taking a big risk.

Its all very well the sprays with the indelible dye & screeching noise but if you are stuck in the middle of a field with no one to hear it & no one to see your attacker how does it stop them??

This is just MY personal opinion & i'm certainly not urging ANYONE else to carry an illegal spray so please dont think otherwise, but i just wondered if anyone else had any other ideas apart from always walking with someone else which of course is not always possible.

Nina

self defence is a great idea, also any kind of spray that would sting the eyes for a quick get-a-way would be great too.

can you get garlic spray or anything else that hurts the eyes, but is not illegal??

I got hair dye in my eye's once and it stung like HELL, soap in a spray can will be just as good too.

Tina, the spray I put a link for is a garlic/onion-based spray combined with a UV additive :thumbsup:

Someone asked me once if my two would catch rabbits, I replied that they couldn't run too muchas they had injuries as youngsters so could only have on lead exercise. They were interested after that and drove off. Neither have got injuries or had injuries but they were not too know that.

»Tina« said:
Hi All,
sorry haven't been on much lately but with 4 kids to xmas shop for well you know.......

anyway I have a problem I haven't been able to walk my dogs on my own all weekend as I'm to scared to at the moment, on Friday afternoon I took my dogs out as usual to 'the meadows' (2 huge inclosed fields) I'd let them off and Chance (lurcher) and Binx (whippet) went racing off together like always, but they always keep with-in eye shot of me,

on our way back through the field a man walked towards us, he said 'hello, are they your dogs?' I said yes and he then asked about Chance, does she hunt, race etc, I told him she has been lamping with my brother a few times and had, had some success, I was a bit nervous now as the questions were 'has she ever had a litter?, how much did she cost you? where did you get her? and so on,

I told him she was spayed and microchipped, and where i got her, then he pulled a HUGE wad of money out of his pocket and said he'd give me £500 for her!!

I said NO WAY, he then said that he'd seen me a few times before and always loved the way Chance sprinted off as soon as she was off the lead  :eek:   :unsure: , then he offered me £700 for Chance and Binx!!! :eek:

I said sorry they are NOT FOR SALE, and never will be! I was shaking from head to foot, just then my brother came (I'd arranged with him to meet up) and the man said 'ok thanks anyway' and went,

it's really scared me and although my hubby can walk with me in the week he takes our sons to football on the weekends, and my brother goes out most weekends, so I haven't been out with them as I'm so scared that this man will snatch one of them :unsure:

would not going for walks for 2 days a week be ok for them? well at least until I feel a bit more confident or someone to walk with me?

Oh how frightening, I know exactly how you must have felt. My ex's mum lives near some big fields and the gypsies are always there coarsing, I remember one day we had been visiting his mum and as we were leaving I took him over the road to the hedge for a quick wee before getting in the car. Next thing this van pulls up beside me with the side door open and some lad leans out and says how beautiful my dog is and how fit he looks. I tried to carry on walking but they followed me, my partner and his mum hadn't come out of her house yet and I was scared, thought they were going to pinch him, they had about 5 other doggies in the back of the van with them, they'd obviously just come from the fields.

So next thing this bloke says to me "can we buy him off you", I said "no no he's not for sale, he's a pet", he said "i'll give you 5 thousand!!! pound for him"!! I said "no he really isn't for sale", next thing his mate says "just grab the Fu****ng dog and get in the van", I squeeled just as my partner was coming out of the house, he ran over and got my doggy off me, I was soooooo scared that I didn't ever dare take him anywhere when we were visiting my ex's mum.

I honestly couldn't believe my ears when the guy said just grab him, honestly if i'd been on my own they would have been away with him and I wouldn't of been able to do a thing, evil people :rant:

It's getting worse that now you cant even take your dog out for a walk. I remember when Zak was about 5 or 6 I took him out for a walk at around ten at night. We were literally two minutes from my house round the corner when two guys approached me. I kept a tight hold of Zaks leash, one of them asked me if he was a greyhound, i told them he was a lurcher. Next thing I know one of them grabs me from behind and the other is trying to get the leash off me. It was a slip lead that just went over Zaks head, I let Zak off and yelled home. He growled at the guys and I think would have went for them but I didnt want them getting my dog. So I just kept yelling at him to go home. One of the guys kicked me in the ribs, i elbowed one and hit the other before running like home. Zak was halfway down my street. When I got home my mom called the police. They said that I should get an alarm or something and that there probably wouldnt be much luck in finding the guys. I escaped with a couple of bruised ribs but I was just thankful that they didn't get Zak.

What makes me almost cry is that he was ready to defend me and all I could do was yell to him to go home...I didnt want him to get stolen. Just dont understand how people can do something like that. :rant: :rant:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back