The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Frightened

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Not long after i got Tilly i was in the local chip shop and my kids 7 and 9 were holding her on a lead outside. A guy in the shop started asking me about her like how old, is she chipped, insured, does she race.....

It only occures to me now after reading this thread what he could have been up to... :wacko:

The thing is you are so proud of your dogs you want to tell people, but from now on they will be spayed, lame and unable to catch a cold for anyone who asks :- "

It must be so frightening if something bad happens with your dogs, i would do all i could to protect them, legal or ilegal, same as i would my kids or family

Mine all have the worst injuries and diseases known to man kind when someone asks me about my dogs!

That's what i was gonna say, i never 'brag' how good my dogs are to any strangers asking, best to say they they are neutered, chipped, suffer long term illness etc which may help to deter thieves. I also never put my address on their name tags, just my mobile and 'i am microchipped, please scan me' which can help prevent them finding your home address... :(

Sory to hear you were so frightened Tina, maybe it is best if you miss a few weekends walks, just until you feel safe again. I had to do self defensive as part of my work training course and it's always handy to have. We did it with 6 policemen and they showed us where the pressure points were.

For instance, if you press your thumb inwards and upwards on the little soft spot just behind their ear, it temporarily paralyses them, not for very long (about 10 minutes), but thats enough time to get away. It might be worth looking into as you never know when you'll need it.

Hope you feel safer soon :huggles:

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I walk with my friend in the week now and we have never seen that man since thank god! and at weekends my bro or hubby comes with me, I do feel safer now but I refuse to walk my dogs on my own,

I'm just to scared to lose them, if for any reason my bro, hubby or friend can't make it then I just have a game of ball with them in the back garden (which has only happened once so far) :thumbsup:

Just seen this thread, Tina Im sorry youve had such an aweful experience. what aweful people approaching you in this way :rant: :rant:

hope youve found somewhere nice to walk :thumbsup: and havnt been pestered any more.

Think Id have been tempted to report this to the police.

if I'd have seen him again I would have reported him for sure!

but theres been no sightings what-so-ever, I've even told the people I know who walk dogs alone in the meadows to watch out for this man, and they haven't seen him either.

so hopefully he gone for good!

»Tina« said:
if I'd have seen him again I would have reported him for sure!
but theres been no sightings what-so-ever, I've even told the people I know who walk dogs alone in the meadows to watch out for this man, and they haven't seen him either.

so hopefully he gone for good!

i really hope so :luck: and hopefully through your warnings, youve spared others :thumbsup:

Glad to see how active this topic has been - i live in the West of Ireland and occasionally foster lurchers for rehoming for a couple of local organisations - of the three most recent dogs - all i would stake my life on have been stolen dogs, all have come into rescue via travellers. Thankfully the two bitches are only young dogs, one with no chase instinct and one with no speed or agility, and literally snatched from under the noses of the travellers, before too much damage was done, by some of the incredibly brave people working in rescue over here. the Sloughi type i have in at present however is a totally mental wreck from abuse, this dog has been someone's pet (evident from his behaviour in the house) and now is so truamatised that i have seen his tail come out from between his legs for the first time for 30 seconds today. He was brought in to the rescue on a piece of baler twine with the comment "have ye got any good guard dogs for sale - i'll give ye a fiver "

It breaks my heart. the list goes on ... the neutered lurcher who has just turned up in the area, in very good condition - again a pet, snatched then dumped no doubt cos they realised he was neutered, the little whippet X picked up before Christmas whilst whelping in a park - again showing all the signs of having been a pet . These two now face more upheaval as they have to be transported to/back to the UK to have any chance of rehoming.

Annoyingly - none of these dogs are microchipped - i, and others like me do not have hours to spare to trawl the lost dog sites etc - get them chipped.

Sorry - starting to rant as the whole situation gets me rattled.

Please - do what ever you have to to keep your dogs safe - NEVER brag about them being good workers and make it clear they cannot breed - if you really have to keep a dog entire - let it be known to everyone he is firing blanks. Remember many of these dogs are likely to end up in Ireland - sorry but it's true - the PTS rate in the pounds over here is truly appalling, some area pounds simply will not allow dogs out and won't work with rescues and PTS everything.

Sorry to be depressing but i would much rather be helping 'true' strays and working on the Greyhound and puppy breeding issues than trying to rehabiltate and rehome stolen dogs .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back